    downloading these big files?

    Thanks

    , Sep 7, 2006

  2. They did say you have to wait to receive a product key in the coming weeks,
    they are doing the roll out in phases, the first set of customers are those
    who signed up in June for the BETA 2 release. After that they will let in a
    new set of customers (you). You should also have the opportunity to sign up
    at the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/preview/resourcecenter.aspx

    In the mean time, you can install Windows Vista without the product key, you
    will have a 14 day grace period within which you can use the product until
    you receive a product key. You will have choice of Editions to install,
    choose either Ultimate or Home Premium. (Thanks to Jupiter Jones for that
    tip).
    --
    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 7, 2006

  3. really gets to me how many people can't seem to read the windows vista get
    ready page that you are suposed to go to in order to download rc1 in the
    first place. That is unless you received an email like i did.

    "Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is now available for Customer
    Preview Program (CPP) participants ONLY. If you are not registered but would
    like to receive RC1, the CPP WILL OPEN TO NEW PARTICIPANTS IN THE COMING
    WEEKS. Please check back periodically for updates. Once you have installed
    Windows Vista RC1 be sure to visit the Resource Center to download the
    Windows Vista Product Guide and discover more information that will help you
    get up and running quickly."

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGZlaWZlcg==?=, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Guest

    Well, I did read the section you have quoted before downloading. The
    problem is that I thought by downloading it I am a participant in the
    preview program. Why did I think so? First of all because I was not
    familiar on how this works (no description of that anywhere). Second on
    the site it said that downloads are limited to 100'000. I was assuming
    that 100'000 is the number of people allowed to participate in the
    program. After all, why have a restriction on the number of downloads
    when you already limit the number of participants.

    The way it really should work is that you first have to sign up for the
    program. After successfuly doing so Microsoft will send you a link
    where you can download the program. It's much less confusing that way.
    Every other company I know does it this way.

    dfeifer wrote:
    > really gets to me how many people can't seem to read the windows vista get
    > ready page that you are suposed to go to in order to download rc1 in the
    > first place. That is unless you received an email like i did.
    >
    > "Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is now available for Customer
    > Preview Program (CPP) participants ONLY. If you are not registered but would
    > like to receive RC1, the CPP WILL OPEN TO NEW PARTICIPANTS IN THE COMING
    > WEEKS. Please check back periodically for updates. Once you have installed
    > Windows Vista RC1 be sure to visit the Resource Center to download the
    > Windows Vista Product Guide and discover more information that will help you
    > get up and running quickly."
    >
    > "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" wrote:
    >
    > > They did say you have to wait to receive a product key in the coming weeks,
    > > they are doing the roll out in phases, the first set of customers are those
    > > who signed up in June for the BETA 2 release. After that they will let in a
    > > new set of customers (you). You should also have the opportunity to sign up
    > > at the following site:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/preview/resourcecenter.aspx
    > >
    > > In the mean time, you can install Windows Vista without the product key, you
    > > will have a 14 day grace period within which you can use the product until
    > > you receive a product key. You will have choice of Editions to install,
    > > choose either Ultimate or Home Premium. (Thanks to Jupiter Jones for that
    > > tip).
    > > --
    > > http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > Ok, I have downloaded Windows Vista RC1. When I wanted to install it it
    > > > asked for a product key. So I did some research and it turns out in
    > > > order to get the key you have to sign up for the customer testing
    > > > program. The problem is I can't find anywhere to sign up. Therefore, I
    > > > wonder if you are required to be a tester since the beta version (when
    > > > I wanted to sign up it was already closed)? If so why does MS not point
    > > > that out that you need to sign up (which you currently can't) before
    > > > downloading these big files?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    , Sep 8, 2006
  5. actually, that information was for the Pre-rc1 build 5536, not for rc1 build
    5600 which currently they are expecting to put out close to 5 million copies
    world wide.
    Currently from the website, there is no link to the rc1 download.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGZlaWZlcg==?=, Sep 8, 2006
  6. If you bypass putting in the key you can run for 14 days. If you get
    options on which edition to install, be sure to choose Ultimate. When you
    get a key you can simply enter it with the link at the bottom of the System
    Properties page. Entering the key there will trigger activation over the
    internet.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 8, 2006