Windows Vista on New Laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    Windows Vista preloaded.

    1.7GH / 512MB of RAM

    Ran like a one-legged dog. Forty-five sconds to open a folder from
    scratch with a few (couple dozen) files in it. Once you got an app
    open, it ran well enough, but changing sates or moving betwen apps was
    painful and opening more then 2-3 apps (firefox, windows movie maker,
    file manager) would see it slow to a crawl.

    Yet doing exactly the same things on a same-spec system with WinXP
    worked very well on another system I have.
    Linux also works well on a system with the same spec.

    Anyway......I'm in Canada right now and got tired of sitting around
    waiting for Vista to do anything. So went to the local "Best Buy"
    store and bought a GB of ram for the Acer Travelmate 2483 I bought. It
    cost C$139 - about NZ$170-ish. About what I would have paid for the
    upgrade at time of purchase anyway.

    Easily installed in about 2 minutes and the difference is HUGE.
    Windows Vista is now behaving like WinXP does on 1/3 the RAM.

    Whoopdidooo........The ram was cheaper than buying a cop of WinXP and
    installing it, so looks like Vista is here to stay on the laptop.

    Now all I have to do is work out how to stop Bluetooth from hanging
    the system HARD when I try to use any bluetooth devices......

    One issue at a tme.

    steve, Apr 26, 2007

  2. steve

    none Guest

    Great blog.

    none, Apr 26, 2007

  3. steve

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 27, 6:19 am, steve <> wrote:
    > I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    > Windows Vista preloaded.

    Hope you immediately imaged the HD using Partimage or the like. If
    your HD craps out or badly screws up, that is the stone end of your
    copy of OEM Vista. No official rescue DVD's for love or money.

    peterwn, Apr 26, 2007
  4. steve

    Diogenes Guest

    On Apr 27, 6:19 am, steve <> wrote:
    > I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    > Windows Vista preloaded.
    >
    > 1.7GH / 512MB of RAM
    >
    > Ran like a one-legged dog. Forty-five sconds to open a folder from
    > scratch with a few (couple dozen) files in it. Once you got an app
    > open, it ran well enough, but changing sates or moving betwen apps was
    > painful and opening more then 2-3 apps (firefox, windows movie maker,
    > file manager) would see it slow to a crawl.
    >
    > Yet doing exactly the same things on a same-spec system with WinXP
    > worked very well on another system I have.
    > Linux also works well on a system with the same spec.
    >
    > Anyway......I'm in Canada right now and got tired of sitting around
    > waiting for Vista to do anything. So went to the local "Best Buy"
    > store and bought a GB of ram for the Acer Travelmate 2483 I bought. It
    > cost C$139 - about NZ$170-ish. About what I would have paid for the
    > upgrade at time of purchase anyway.
    >
    > Easily installed in about 2 minutes and the difference is HUGE.
    > Windows Vista is now behaving like WinXP does on 1/3 the RAM.
    >
    > Whoopdidooo........The ram was cheaper than buying a cop of WinXP and
    > installing it, so looks like Vista is here to stay on the laptop.
    >
    > Now all I have to do is work out how to stop Bluetooth from hanging
    > the system HARD when I try to use any bluetooth devices......
    >
    > One issue at a tme.

    Not everyone in Canada taking the same route though. Dell re-offering
    XP it seems... http://www.p2pnet.net/story/12058

    Diogenes, Apr 27, 2007
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    On Apr 26, 6:05 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 6:19 am, steve <> wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    > > Windows Vista preloaded.

    > Hope you immediately imaged the HD using Partimage or the like. If
    > your HD craps out or badly screws up, that is the stone end of your
    > copy of OEM Vista. No official rescue DVD's for love or money.

    It is an cer laptop and the first thing they made me do was make a DVD
    backup of the pristine install system as a recovery copy.

    So assuming I could get a new hard drive, I could probably then
    restore the system from the DVD copy......

    This is an untested assumption.

    steve, Apr 27, 2007
  6. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    > Windows Vista preloaded.
    >
    > 1.7GH / 512MB of RAM
    >
    > Ran like a one-legged dog. Forty-five sconds to open a folder from
    > scratch with a few (couple dozen) files in it. Once you got an app
    > open, it ran well enough, but changing sates or moving betwen apps was
    > painful and opening more then 2-3 apps (firefox, windows movie maker,
    > file manager) would see it slow to a crawl.
    >
    > Yet doing exactly the same things on a same-spec system with WinXP
    > worked very well on another system I have.
    > Linux also works well on a system with the same spec.
    >
    > Anyway......I'm in Canada right now and got tired of sitting around
    > waiting for Vista to do anything. So went to the local "Best Buy"
    > store and bought a GB of ram for the Acer Travelmate 2483 I bought. It
    > cost C$139 - about NZ$170-ish. About what I would have paid for the
    > upgrade at time of purchase anyway.
    >
    > Easily installed in about 2 minutes and the difference is HUGE.
    > Windows Vista is now behaving like WinXP does on 1/3 the RAM.
    >
    > Whoopdidooo........The ram was cheaper than buying a cop of WinXP and
    > installing it, so looks like Vista is here to stay on the laptop.
    >
    > Now all I have to do is work out how to stop Bluetooth from hanging
    > the system HARD when I try to use any bluetooth devices......
    >
    > One issue at a tme.

    Steve? As in SteveW of Thunder Bay?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Apr 27, 2007
  7. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Diogenes wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 6:19 am, steve <> wrote:
    > > I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    > > Windows Vista preloaded.
    > >
    > > 1.7GH / 512MB of RAM
    > >
    > > Ran like a one-legged dog. Forty-five sconds to open a folder from
    > > scratch with a few (couple dozen) files in it. Once you got an app
    > > open, it ran well enough, but changing sates or moving betwen apps
    > > was painful and opening more then 2-3 apps (firefox, windows movie
    > > maker, file manager) would see it slow to a crawl.
    > >
    > > Yet doing exactly the same things on a same-spec system with WinXP
    > > worked very well on another system I have.
    > > Linux also works well on a system with the same spec.
    > >
    > > Anyway......I'm in Canada right now and got tired of sitting around
    > > waiting for Vista to do anything. So went to the local "Best Buy"
    > > store and bought a GB of ram for the Acer Travelmate 2483 I bought.
    > > It cost C$139 - about NZ$170-ish. About what I would have paid for
    > > the upgrade at time of purchase anyway.
    > >
    > > Easily installed in about 2 minutes and the difference is HUGE.
    > > Windows Vista is now behaving like WinXP does on 1/3 the RAM.
    > >
    > > Whoopdidooo........The ram was cheaper than buying a cop of WinXP
    > > and installing it, so looks like Vista is here to stay on the
    > > laptop.
    > >
    > > Now all I have to do is work out how to stop Bluetooth from hanging
    > > the system HARD when I try to use any bluetooth devices......
    > >
    > > One issue at a tme.

    > Not everyone in Canada taking the same route though. Dell re-offering
    > XP it seems... http://www.p2pnet.net/story/12058

    From what I've heard from a friend in NYC Dell have just done *another*
    about-face and now no longer offer XP (again) on their consumer-grade
    machines. Seems Microsoft got upset with them allowing customers to /not/
    buy Vista and put the pressure on...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2007
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    On Apr 27, 4:03 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    > > I bought a new laptop - fairly cheap - a month ago. It came with
    > > Windows Vista preloaded.

    > > 1.7GH / 512MB of RAM

    > > Ran like a one-legged dog. Forty-five sconds to open a folder from
    > > scratch with a few (couple dozen) files in it. Once you got an app
    > > open, it ran well enough, but changing sates or moving betwen apps was
    > > painful and opening more then 2-3 apps (firefox, windows movie maker,
    > > file manager) would see it slow to a crawl.

    > > Yet doing exactly the same things on a same-spec system with WinXP
    > > worked very well on another system I have.
    > > Linux also works well on a system with the same spec.

    > > Anyway......I'm in Canada right now and got tired of sitting around
    > > waiting for Vista to do anything. So went to the local "Best Buy"
    > > store and bought a GB of ram for the Acer Travelmate 2483 I bought. It
    > > cost C$139 - about NZ$170-ish. About what I would have paid for the
    > > upgrade at time of purchase anyway.

    > > Easily installed in about 2 minutes and the difference is HUGE.
    > > Windows Vista is now behaving like WinXP does on 1/3 the RAM.

    > > Whoopdidooo........The ram was cheaper than buying a cop of WinXP and
    > > installing it, so looks like Vista is here to stay on the laptop.

    > > Now all I have to do is work out how to stop Bluetooth from hanging
    > > the system HARD when I try to use any bluetooth devices......

    > > One issue at a tme.

    > Steve? As in SteveW of Thunder Bay?

    G'day, Cliff. That would indeed be me. There is a referendum on MMP in
    Ontario in October and I'm working on the campaign.

    steve, Apr 27, 2007
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    On Apr 27, 5:05 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > From what I've heard from a friend in NYC Dell have just done *another*
    > about-face and now no longer offer XP (again) on their consumer-grade
    > machines. Seems Microsoft got upset with them allowing customers to /not/
    > buy Vista and put the pressure on...

    So the customer is not allowed choice and the market is not allowed to
    decide on Vista.

    The usual...........

    steve, Apr 27, 2007