    a pig. ""

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    EMB Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >
    > "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness from a
    > multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad guyâ€
    > and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience a
    > clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look past
    > Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than lipstick on
    > a pig. ""

    It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    more-crippled pig.

    EMB, Aug 20, 2007

  3. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:08:41 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    > more-crippled pig.

    IE WIN1.0, WIN2.0, WIN3.0, WIN3.1, WIN3.11, WIN4.0.x, WIN4.1.x, WIN4.9,
    WinNT 4.x WinNT5.x, and now the latest version of the pig - WinNT6.0 (AKA
    "Microsoft Windows Vi$ta Ultimate".

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Jonathan Walker

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >>
    >> "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness
    >> from a
    >> multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad guyâ€
    >> and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience a
    >> clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look past
    >> Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than lipstick on
    >> a pig. ""

    > It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    > more-crippled pig.

    lol....how does it go.....the King's new clothes....some smucks have
    bought into it....good luck to them....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Jonathan Walker

    Shane Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > EMB wrote:
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >>> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >>>
    >>> "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness
    >>> from a
    >>> multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad guyâ€
    >>> and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience a
    >>> clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look
    >>> past Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than
    >>> lipstick on a pig. ""

    >> It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    >> more-crippled pig.

    > lol....how does it go.....the King's new clothes....some smucks have
    > bought into it....good luck to them....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    The problem is, XP reaches the end of its cycle soon.
    It's already difficult to get some patches for 2k

    --
    Q: What's big, grey, and proves the uncountability of the reals?
    A: Cantor's diagonal elephant.

    Shane, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Jonathan Walker

    thingy Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    >>> more-crippled pig.

    >> lol....how does it go.....the King's new clothes....some smucks have
    >> bought into it....good luck to them....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > The problem is, XP reaches the end of its cycle soon.
    > It's already difficult to get some patches for 2k

    I think XP support end is some years off (3+?)....win2k...well yes it is
    7 years old....lots of games are now XP+ only....I ran BF2142 in win2k
    and found it faster and more stable than XP, however some functionality
    was missing.....which is a bummer....

    :/

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Aug 20, 2007
  7. Jonathan Walker

    Vista Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    >>> more-crippled pig.

    >> lol....how does it go.....the King's new clothes....some smucks have
    >> bought into it....good luck to them....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > The problem is, XP reaches the end of its cycle soon.
    > It's already difficult to get some patches for 2k
    >
    > --
    > Q: What's big, grey, and proves the uncountability of the reals?
    > A: Cantor's diagonal elephant.

    MS will be forced to extend the cycle. This is becuase they are still
    selling XP, and have now had to generate new keys for it. Computer companies
    are also recommending xp over vista, and many people will be planning to
    skip vista for the next version.

    Vista, Aug 20, 2007
  8. Jonathan Walker

    Vista Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:08:41 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> It's not even that - it's lipstick on an older, fatter, slower,
    >> more-crippled pig.

    > IE WIN1.0, WIN2.0, WIN3.0, WIN3.1, WIN3.11, WIN4.0.x, WIN4.1.x, WIN4.9,
    > WinNT 4.x WinNT5.x, and now the latest version of the pig - WinNT6.0 (AKA
    > "Microsoft Windows Vi$ta Ultimate".
    >

    > --
    > Jonathan Walker
    >
    > "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    > dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."

    What about the windows NT 3.5x versions. Vista must be NT7.0, as XP is
    NT6.0and win2000 is NT5.0

    Vista, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    > http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >
    > "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness from a
    > multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad guyâ€
    > and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience a
    > clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look past
    > Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than lipstick on
    > a pig. ""

    What sloppiness ?

    PC

    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  10. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:27:02 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > What about the windows NT 3.5x versions. Vista must be NT7.0, as XP is
    > NT6.0and win2000 is NT5.0

    No.

    Windows 2000 is indeed NT5.0 . Windows XP is NT5.1 . Windows XP is NT6,
    and longhorn will be NT7. That is why M$ is now talking about "Windows 7".

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  11. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:56:52 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > The problem is, XP reaches the end of its cycle soon.

    The problem with that is that M$ *should* support versions of a product for
    longer than merely 1 year after the release of the next version of the
    same product.

    Not *our* problem that M$ chose not to release a newer version for 6 years!

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  12. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:22:53 +1200, Cadae wrote:

    >> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >>
    >> "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness from
    >> a multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad
    >> guy†and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience
    >> a clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look
    >> past Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than
    >> lipstick on a pig. ""

    > What sloppiness ?

    Read the article?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  13. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:22:53 +1200, Cadae wrote:
    >
    >>> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >>>
    >>> "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness from
    >>> a multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad
    >>> guy†and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience
    >>> a clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look
    >>> past Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than
    >>> lipstick on a pig. ""

    >> What sloppiness ?

    > Read the article?

    I did - that's why I'm asking.

    PC

    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007
  14. Jonathan Walker

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 20 Aug 2007 11:05:14 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >
    > "" I wish users didnÿt have to put up with this level of sloppiness from a
    > multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didnÿt have to play the ´bad guy¡
    > and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience a
    > clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look past
    > Vistaÿs translucent veneer to see that itÿs nothing more than lipstick on
    > a pig. ""

    If only Linux didn't suck worse.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Aug 20, 2007
  15. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:23 +1200, Cadae wrote:

    >>> What sloppiness ?

    >> Read the article?
    >>

    > I did - that's why I'm asking.

    I Don't think you have read the article or else you would have read what
    the author was talking about.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 20, 2007
  16. Jonathan Walker

    John Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:27:02 +1200, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> What about the windows NT 3.5x versions. Vista must be NT7.0, as XP is
    >> NT6.0and win2000 is NT5.0

    > No.
    >
    > Windows 2000 is indeed NT5.0 . Windows XP is NT5.1 . Windows XP is NT6,
    > and longhorn will be NT7. That is why M$ is now talking about "Windows 7".
    >

    > --
    > Jonathan Walker
    >
    > "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    > dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."

    Interesting. If windows Xp is only a 0.1 upgrade on windows 2000, why did M$
    charge a full upgrade price when upgrading from windows NT5.0, to NT5.1.
    Windows XP is more like a 5.5 upgrade on 2000.
    I didn't think the name windows 7 name was based on the the NT numbering
    system. I thought it was based on the numbering of the popular consumer
    releases of the windows product. eg. win3.1=1, win95=2, win98=3, winme=4,
    winxp=5, win vista=6, and then win 7.

    John, Aug 20, 2007
  17. Jonathan Walker

    Cima Guest

    On 20 Aug 2007 13:42:24 +1200, Jonathan Walker <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:22:53 +1200, Cadae wrote:
    >
    >>> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/07/18/windows-vista-lipstick-on-a-pig/
    >>>
    >>> "" I wish users didn’t have to put up with this level of sloppiness from
    >>> a multi-billion dollar company. I wish I didn’t have to play the “bad
    >>> guy” and point out that Classic Mode is still the only way to experience
    >>> a clean, consistent Windows environment. I wish more people would look
    >>> past Vista’s translucent veneer to see that it’s nothing more than
    >>> lipstick on a pig. ""

    >> What sloppiness ?

    >Read the article?

    You're not using it so.... WHY DO YOU CARE?

    You seem to have a real hard-on for a friggen operating system.

    Cima, Aug 20, 2007
  18. Jonathan Walker

    Shane Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> lol....how does it go.....the King's new clothes....some smucks have
    >>> bought into it....good luck to them....
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> The problem is, XP reaches the end of its cycle soon.
    >> It's already difficult to get some patches for 2k
    >>
    >> --
    >> Q: What's big, grey, and proves the uncountability of the reals?
    >> A: Cantor's diagonal elephant.
    >>

    > MS will be forced to extend the cycle. This is becuase they are still
    > selling XP, and have now had to generate new keys for it. Computer
    > companies are also recommending xp over vista, and many people will be
    > planning to skip vista for the next version.

    If that were official it would dry the tears of a few of the people I have
    had complain to me about Vista (literally)
    If it were just more marketing talk, well you can guess why so many are
    looking to alternatives
    --
    It is only two weeks into the term that, in a calculus class, a student
    raises his hand and asks: "Will we ever need this stuff in real life?"

    Shane, Aug 20, 2007
  19. Jonathan Walker

    John Guest

    >>> Read the article?
    >>>

    >> I did - that's why I'm asking.

    > I Don't think you have read the article or else you would have read what
    > the author was talking about.
    >

    > --
    > Jonathan Walker
    >
    > "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    > dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."

    I don't know about vista, but the old program manager is still in windows
    xp, although this is now no longer used with the desktop and start menu
    system.

    John, Aug 20, 2007
  20. Jonathan Walker

    Cadae Guest

    >>> Read the article?
    >>>

    >> I did - that's why I'm asking.

    > I Don't think you have read the article or else you would have read what
    > the author was talking about.

    Ahh - found it - he's talking about the article in the link early in his
    text.

    By the breathtaking sweep of his description in the first paragraph of the
    text I was expecting some major problems, not a minor extra barely visible
    line or two under the file tool bar of different apps. It is sloppy work
    from MS, but doesn't measure up to the complaining hype in the referencing
    text and the snazzy title "Vista:Lipstick on a Pig".

    PC

    Cadae, Aug 20, 2007