Windows vista "information" balloons

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. William

    William Guest

    On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
    > In vista home premium edition.
    >
    > They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
    > have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
    >
    > I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
    > They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
    >
    > Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of
    > 100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
    > the problem.

    http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/disable-balloon-tips-in-windows-vista/

    By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
    off Windows vista information balloons".

    --
    WH

    richard, Mar 30, 2008

  3. William

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:03:08 -0700, richard wrote:

    >Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
    >In vista home premium edition.

    Pity, no group policy edit, will have to dig into the registry.

    >They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
    >have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
    >
    >I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.

    Better off with then all off, most are just annoying. THen you would
    have to google around a bit with some specific searches about network
    connections.

    >They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
    >Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of

    Often it tends to be some , none or all choice. The problem is sorting
    the tool tips, from notify from popups.

    Don't show the network connections icons.

    http://www.google.com/search?disable windows vista information balloons

    1st hit,

    Disable Balloon Tips in Windows Vista
    28 Mar 2007 ... Let me explain how you can disable balloon tips in
    Windows Vista. ... WinGuggle change Vista performance settings and OEM
    information (6) ...
    www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/disable-balloon-tips-in-windows-vista/

    >100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
    >the problem.

    Vista newsgroups,
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33656486&expand=1
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

    Me
    why?, Mar 30, 2008
  4. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0700, richard <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT), William
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <> wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
    >>> In vista home premium edition.
    >>>
    >>> They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
    >>> have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
    >>>
    >>> I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
    >>> They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
    >>>
    >>> Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of
    >>> 100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
    >>> the problem.

    >>http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/disable-balloon-tips-in-windows-vista/
    >>
    >>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
    >>off Windows vista information balloons".

    >Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
    >want to turn off these "information" balloons.

    What other sorts of balloons does Vista have?
    Scott in SoCal, Mar 30, 2008
  5. William

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:30:42 -0700, Scott in SoCal wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT), William
    >><> wrote:

    >>>http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/disable-balloon-tips-in-windows-vista/
    >>>
    >>>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
    >>>off Windows vista information balloons".

    >>Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
    >>want to turn off these "information" balloons.

    OP means information balloons for network connection. Taking a guess
    it's attached to the network icon, so hiding it would stop the info
    balloon. Of course OP is assuming MS have such a fine enough setting to
    allow that.

    >What other sorts of balloons does Vista have?

    Depends on how you read it - popups, tool tips, information. Could be
    wrong haven't looked at the UI settings for a while.

    Most like a look around Microsoft Developers MSDN, checking the
    terminology and what is triggered by network connection would help the
    OP.

    Me
    why?, Mar 30, 2008
  6. William

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0700, richard wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT), William
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <> wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
    >>> In vista home premium edition.

    All information, yes.

    >>> They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
    >>> have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.

    Over what icon?

    >>> I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
    >>> They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.

    Oh now you say, later, sort of. It's the network connections
    connect/disconnect or....?

    <snip>

    >>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
    >>off Windows vista information balloons".

    >Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
    >want to turn off these "information" balloons.

    Ask in a MSDN developers / newsgroups,maybe.
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

    Me
    why?, Mar 30, 2008