    Any suggs would be helpful. My PC is a HP Pavilion with 3.5 gig RAM.

    -ChrisCoaster

    , Mar 10, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm lucky to be typing this to you now via Google Groups. The Subj says it all.
    > Over the last 6 months, Internet explorer has gone from crashing/unrecoverable
    > once per month to once per HOUR. I have cleaned all Temp files and IE cookies
    > & history and am at my wits end.
    >
    > Any suggs would be helpful. My PC is a HP Pavilion with 3.5 gig RAM.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    See if IE9 has any "Add-ons" and disable them.

    If the browser has the equivalent of a "Safe Mode", starting with
    only its own files, you could try that. (You may have two options
    in the Start menu, for starting IE.)

    Some software has a Repair capability, which again, is to try and
    put it back in original condition. That's not the HP recovery
    partition or anything. That should be a function of IE itself.
    Sometimes, if you look in Control Panels/Add&Remove programs,
    rather than "remove" for a program, there is "remove/repair"
    and you can select repair.

    I can see an example of a Repair procedure here, but the
    articles on sites like this should be taken with a grain of
    salt. In attempting to use recipes like this over the last
    several weeks, I'm getting the impression not a lot of the
    recipes are tested.

    http://www.ehow.com/how_4443124_repair-internet-explorer.html

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 11, 2012

  3. Guest

    On Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:19:51 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

    > See if IE9 has any "Add-ons" and disable them.
    >
    > If the browser has the equivalent of a "Safe Mode", starting with
    > only its own files, you could try that. (You may have two options
    > in the Start menu, for starting IE.)
    >
    > Some software has a Repair capability, which again, is to try and
    > put it back in original condition. That's not the HP recovery
    > partition or anything. That should be a function of IE itself.
    > Sometimes, if you look in Control Panels/Add&Remove programs,
    > rather than "remove" for a program, there is "remove/repair"
    > and you can select repair.
    >
    > I can see an example of a Repair procedure here, but the
    > articles on sites like this should be taken with a grain of
    > salt. In attempting to use recipes like this over the last
    > several weeks, I'm getting the impression not a lot of the
    > recipes are tested.
    >
    > http://www.ehow.com/how_4443124_repair-internet-explorer.html
    >
    > Paul

    __________________
    Did the add-on thing, disabling all and adding back on only those I really needed.

    Under programs in Vista IE does not appear.

    -CC

    , Mar 11, 2012
  4. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:19:51 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    >
    >> See if IE9 has any "Add-ons" and disable them.
    >>
    >> If the browser has the equivalent of a "Safe Mode", starting with
    >> only its own files, you could try that. (You may have two options
    >> in the Start menu, for starting IE.)
    >>
    >> Some software has a Repair capability, which again, is to try and
    >> put it back in original condition. That's not the HP recovery
    >> partition or anything. That should be a function of IE itself.
    >> Sometimes, if you look in Control Panels/Add&Remove programs,
    >> rather than "remove" for a program, there is "remove/repair"
    >> and you can select repair.
    >>
    >> I can see an example of a Repair procedure here, but the
    >> articles on sites like this should be taken with a grain of
    >> salt. In attempting to use recipes like this over the last
    >> several weeks, I'm getting the impression not a lot of the
    >> recipes are tested.
    >>
    >> http://www.ehow.com/how_4443124_repair-internet-explorer.html
    >>
    >> Paul

    > __________________
    > Did the add-on thing, disabling all and adding back on only those I really needed.
    >
    > Under programs in Vista IE does not appear.
    >
    > -CC

    There is a recipe here, but I wouldn't rush out and do it just yet.
    I gather what that does, is populate the menu folder with shortcuts.
    Perhaps a single shortcut is missing in the Menu folder and that
    is why it is missing.

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/159034-start-menu-restore-missing-default-shortcuts.html

    The Single User Shortcuts file, has an Internet Explorer.lnk file in it,
    which would be an example of a shortcut. That particular file points to

    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

    and you'd want to check whether the executable is actually present there
    or not. I mean, maybe the link file is there, but there's no executable ?
    Or maybe the link just points to the wrong place.

    Perhaps it had something to do with repairing IE, but you don't
    mention whether repairing was necessary or not.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 12, 2012