    curious as to what i can expect in the way of errors, etc. The system I am
    going to load it on is non critical and I am loading it just to get a feel
    for it fwiw.

    Captain America, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Captain America

    Martik Guest

    "Captain America" <> wrote in message
    news:6df69$434c53e1$45e9449e$...
    > Does anybody here have any experiences they can share regarding windows
    > vista beta 1? I am going to load a system I have here with it and was
    > curious as to what i can expect in the way of errors, etc. The system I am
    > going to load it on is non critical and I am loading it just to get a feel
    > for it fwiw.

    I have installed (dual boot) build 5219 on an athlon 2000 with 768mb ram and
    tnt2 32mb video. Performance was good and I could not find any errors.
    Unfortunately, it looks and acts almost identical to XP - Huge
    disappointment!

    Martik, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Captain America

    Mitch Guest

    In article <XEY2f.10026$y_1.342@edtnps89>, Martik <>
    wrote:

    > Unfortunately, it looks and acts almost identical to XP - Huge
    > disappointment!

    That is bad news.
    I was really hoping, after so many years of development and a little
    pressure from the industry that they'd do something better.

    Mitch, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Captain America

    Billh Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "Captain America" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Does anybody here have any experiences they can share regarding windows
    >>vista beta 1? I am going to load a system I have here with it and was
    >>curious as to what i can expect in the way of errors, etc. The system I am
    >>going to load it on is non critical and I am loading it just to get a feel
    >>for it fwiw.

    > I have installed (dual boot) build 5219 on an athlon 2000 with 768mb ram and
    > tnt2 32mb video. Performance was good and I could not find any errors.
    > Unfortunately, it looks and acts almost identical to XP - Huge
    > disappointment!

    It looks like XP because of the crappy video card. You are going to get
    a whole lot better looking OS if you get a much better video card.

    Billh, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Captain America

    Martik Guest

    "Billh" <> wrote in message
    > Martik wrote:
    >> "Captain America" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Does anybody here have any experiences they can share regarding windows
    >>>vista beta 1? I am going to load a system I have here with it and was
    >>>curious as to what i can expect in the way of errors, etc. The system I
    >>>am going to load it on is non critical and I am loading it just to get a
    >>>feel for it fwiw.

    >> I have installed (dual boot) build 5219 on an athlon 2000 with 768mb ram
    >> and tnt2 32mb video. Performance was good and I could not find any
    >> errors. Unfortunately, it looks and acts almost identical to XP - Huge
    >> disappointment!

    > It looks like XP because of the crappy video card. You are going to get a
    > whole lot better looking OS if you get a much better video card.

    If you are referring to the 3D effects and other eye-candy, a much more
    powerful video is required. I'm referring to the similarities in the general
    user interface with XP.

    What we need from MS is a secure, reliable OS that works on basic existing
    HW.

    Martik, Oct 12, 2005
  6. "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > What we need from MS is a secure, reliable OS that works on basic existing
    > HW.

    That will NEVER happen. Billy boy has no interest whatsoever in putting out
    something that actually works right the first time.

    Captain America, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Captain America

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:08:01 -0700, Captain America wrote:

    >Does anybody here have any experiences they can share regarding windows
    >vista beta 1? I am going to load a system I have here with it and was

    1st install - AMD x64 3200+ 512MB , worked fine, folder sharing,
    browsing all okay. Search didn't work , it launched a 2nd search window
    and did nothing.

    40 days later 2nd install (u/g RAM to 1.5GBfirst ) Windows Explorer is
    so slow and using 99% CPU cycles it's unusable. Search working IIRC,
    only tried maybe once.

    XP 64bit Nvidia drivers worked, was fine without as well

    Included SiS900 NIC drivers okay.

    No drivers for my Gb NICs.

    Had to d/l auto drivers.

    So far all software okay, WinRAR, QuickPar, newsreaders, Mozilla (some
    relocating DLL issues errors on the 2nd install), Opera okay.

    OOo 1.x and 2.x worked.

    Both times, some issues with View Folder options, even changing settings
    I think to what I wanted , it kept displaying as media files - keywords,
    raiting, author and so on. The 2nd install seems to be okay now.

    >curious as to what i can expect in the way of errors, etc. The system I am

    Anything it's only the 1st beta.

    >going to load it on is non critical and I am loading it just to get a feel
    >for it fwiw.

    It's not FWIW, wait until it's RC and not Beta.

    You have seen the other posts in 24HSHD and know about
    the newsgroup -
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Me

    why?, Oct 12, 2005
  8. Captain America

    Billh Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "Billh" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Martik wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Captain America" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have installed (dual boot) build 5219 on an athlon 2000 with 768mb ram
    >>>and tnt2 32mb video. Performance was good and I could not find any
    >>>errors. Unfortunately, it looks and acts almost identical to XP - Huge
    >>>disappointment!

    >>It looks like XP because of the crappy video card. You are going to get a
    >>whole lot better looking OS if you get a much better video card.

    > If you are referring to the 3D effects and other eye-candy, a much more
    > powerful video is required. I'm referring to the similarities in the general
    > user interface with XP.
    >
    > What we need from MS is a secure, reliable OS that works on basic existing
    > HW.

    Ok I have not tried it just what I have read, as far as hardware I don't
    think they are aiming for this os to work on basic existing hardware.

    Billh, Oct 13, 2005
  9. Captain America

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:52:43 -0400, Billh wrote:

    >Martik wrote:
    >> "Billh" <> wrote in message

    >>>It looks like XP because of the crappy video card. You are going to get a
    >>>whole lot better looking OS if you get a much better video card.

    >> If you are referring to the 3D effects and other eye-candy, a much more
    >> powerful video is required. I'm referring to the similarities in the general
    >> user interface with XP.
    >>
    >> What we need from MS is a secure, reliable OS that works on basic existing
    >> HW.
    >>

    >Ok I have not tried it just what I have read, as far as hardware I don't
    >think they are aiming for this os to work on basic existing hardware.

    Too right, it's this bit that is funny -
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

    GPU — PC systems should have a graphics processor that will support
    Windows Vista Display Driver Model.

    Windows Vista offers significant improvements to the graphics user
    experience. To take advantage of these advances in the graphics user
    experience, graphics processor will need to support the Windows Vista
    Display Driver Model.

    Since people have video cards thet pre-exist the Vista Beta no one can
    really expect thier card to support a new driver model? One has to hope
    Vista has enough drivers supplied on the install media.
    Lucky me has a Nvidia card, and drivers on the Nvidia site.

    This is even better,
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/output_protect.mspx
    Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management (PVP-OPM) makes sure
    that the PC's video outputs have the required protection or that they
    are turned off if such protection is not available.

    It's explained much better here
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25124
    In a nutshell, unless you have a display device that is equipped with
    specific technology intended to foil recording, the operating system
    will degrade the image quality so bit for bit copies cannot be made.
    <....snip....>
    the operating system will kill the video outputs and give you nothing.

    Me

    why?, Oct 13, 2005
  10. Captain America

    Mitch Guest

    In article <434da12e$0$28820$>, Billh
    <> wrote:

    > Ok I have not tried it just what I have read, as far as hardware I don't
    > think they are aiming for this os to work on basic existing hardware.

    I made that mistake last week, too.
    Apparently, even though all the articles and analysis talk about how
    Vista is going be different, there are going to be low-end versions
    that will run on today's hardware, too.
    Several people have been using Vista beta on pretty low-end stuff, and
    I think one guy said he had it running under only 128 MB, although I
    wouldn't expect the final to run anywhere near that.

    Mitch, Oct 13, 2005
  11. Captain America

    Seatoller Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:52:43 -0400, Billh wrote:

    > Martik wrote:
    >> "Billh" <> wrote in message

    >>>It looks like XP because of the crappy video card. You are going to get
    >>>a whole lot better looking OS if you get a much better video card.

    >> If you are referring to the 3D effects and other eye-candy, a much more
    >> powerful video is required. I'm referring to the similarities in the
    >> general user interface with XP.
    >>
    >> What we need from MS is a secure, reliable OS that works on basic
    >> existing HW.
    >>

    > Ok I have not tried it just what I have read, as far as hardware I don't
    > think they are aiming for this os to work on basic existing hardware.

    You'll need a new monitor, for one thing:-
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050803/151221_F.shtml

    /quote/
    it appears that Microsoft's forthcoming version of Windows, Vista, will
    require users to buy new monitors too.
    \unquote\

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26703

    Seatoller, Oct 13, 2005
  12. Captain America

    Trax Guest

    "Captain America" <> wrote:

    |>Does anybody here have any experiences they can share regarding windows
    |>vista beta 1? I am going to load a system I have here with it and was
    |>curious as to what i can expect in the way of errors, etc. The system I am
    |>going to load it on is non critical and I am loading it just to get a feel
    |>for it fwiw.

    Review:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

    New version released :)
    http://slashdot.org/articles/05/10/12/2315201.shtml?tid=201&tid=185

    FWIW I call it quits at XP. I'll not install something that controls
    what I do, and how I do it (DRM).

    --
    911 operator tells caller fire is actually fog.
    Historic fort catches fog, burns to ground.

    Trax, Oct 13, 2005
  13. Captain America

    Guest

    I've run several builds of Vista, the latest being 5244 and have seen
    minor changes with each new build. On 5244 the start button is
    different. I've run into issues with video though. I'm running it on an
    HP nc6000 notebook which has a Pentium-m 1.7ghz 1gb ram and an AGP ATI
    Mobility Radeon 9600 with 32MB RAM. When running in 32bit color mode I
    get all sorts of screen corruption when ever I open anything, IE in
    particular, but the new visual affects work. If I run in 16bit mode I
    don't get any corruption but no special affects either. ATI's beta
    drivers on their site do not appear to work in any build other than
    5112 (beta 1) as I've been unable to install them in all the later
    builds.

    Thoughts?

    , Oct 18, 2005
  14. Captain America

    Dave Lear Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I've run several builds of Vista, the latest being 5244 and
    > have seen minor changes with each new build. On 5244 the
    > start button is different. I've run into issues with video though.
    > I'm running it on an HP nc6000 notebook which has a Pentium-m
    > 1.7ghz 1gb ram and an AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with
    > 32MB RAM. When running in 32bit color mode I get all sorts of
    > screen corruption when ever I open anything, IE in particular, but
    > the new visual affects work. If I run in 16bit mode I don't get any
    > corruption but no special affects either. ATI's beta drivers on their
    > site do not appear to work in any build other than 5112 (beta 1)
    > as I've been unable to install them in all the later builds.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    1) Run it in 16bit mode
    2) Expect problems like this because the O/S and drivers are in beta. If it
    was finished they'd be charging you money for it. Instead you're doing their
    testing for them for free.

    Dave Lear, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Today Dave Lear spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:

    > 1) Run it in 16bit mode
    > 2) Expect problems like this because the O/S and drivers
    > are in beta. If it was finished they'd be charging you
    > money for it. Instead you're doing their testing for them
    > for free.

    I've beta tested application software before, but not an O/S. I
    know the reasons why someone would want to, but it sure must
    take guts!

    As to testing for free, that's true enough. Early upgraders to
    either an O/S or any app are also testing, but this time on
    their Visa card. More and more developers are "releasing" the
    last public beta or the last private beta as the "gold" v1.0 and
    sort things out later. Just like it used to be said not to buy a
    new car built on a Friday or Monday or even in the 1st six
    months of a new model, I feel very strongly about resisting the
    urge to upgrade unless there is a clear "must have" feature.

    I've long thought that all the /known/ bugs should be looked at
    and fixed if it can be done with enough confidence through
    automated regression testing to save early buyers grief, but
    without inadvertantly creating more side-effects bugs.

    Also, altruistically, it would seem to make sense to the
    developer to want to release the most bug-free software they can
    so that they don't get a bad quality rep. Plus, if the 1.0
    release is a disaster, their tech support costs will skyrocket,
    an emergency - read, expensive - patch has to be created, and
    mailed to customers to try to contain the PR damage.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 18, 2005