Windows Vista Beta 1 Released

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PseUDO, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    PseUDO, Jul 28, 2005

  2. PseUDO

    Nova Guest

    Nova, Jul 28, 2005

  3. In article <42e8325f$>, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today...

    OK, time to think up some rude names.

    Dimdows Vista = Dimsta (sounds like "Dim Star")

    or

    Dumbdows Vista = Dumbsta (sounds like "Dumb Star" or "Dumpster")

    Absolutely Vistalicious, don't you think!
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2005
  4. PseUDO

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Jul 28, 2005
  5. On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:23:13 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    >>Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today...

    > OK, time to think up some rude names.

    You mis-spelled "dumb"

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Do try to spend SOME of your life not being a dork!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 28, 2005
  6. PseUDO

    thing2 Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <42e8325f$>, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >

    >>Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today...

    > OK, time to think up some rude names.
    >
    > Dimdows Vista = Dimsta (sounds like "Dim Star")
    >
    > or
    >
    > Dumbdows Vista = Dumbsta (sounds like "Dumb Star" or "Dumpster")
    >
    > Absolutely Vistalicious, don't you think!

    now, now, it make not get called vista anyway, I think an existing
    company by that name is taking them to court.

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jul 28, 2005
  7. "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <42e8325f$>, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today...

    >> OK, time to think up some rude names.
    >>
    >> Dimdows Vista = Dimsta (sounds like "Dim Star")
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> Dumbdows Vista = Dumbsta (sounds like "Dumb Star" or "Dumpster")
    >>
    >> Absolutely Vistalicious, don't you think!

    > now, now, it make not get called vista anyway, I think an existing company
    > by that name is taking them to court.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Realistically this will be a non-event. The other company's product is
    probably not called "Microsoft Windows Vista" so it is unlikely that there's
    a trademark issue. In the unlikely event that a trademark infringement is
    determined to exist Microsoft will simply buy the rights to the name and the
    company involved would stand to make several year's revenue in one fell
    swoop. Don't hold your breath for a name change.
    Stan the IT Man, Jul 28, 2005
  8. PseUDO

    thing2 Guest

    Stan the IT Man wrote:
    > "thing2" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>OK, time to think up some rude names.
    >>>
    >>> Dimdows Vista = Dimsta (sounds like "Dim Star")
    >>>
    >>>or
    >>>
    >>> Dumbdows Vista = Dumbsta (sounds like "Dumb Star" or "Dumpster")
    >>>
    >>>Absolutely Vistalicious, don't you think!

    >>now, now, it make not get called vista anyway, I think an existing company
    >>by that name is taking them to court.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>thing
    >>

    > Realistically this will be a non-event. The other company's product is
    > probably not called "Microsoft Windows Vista" so it is unlikely that there's
    > a trademark issue. In the unlikely event that a trademark infringement is
    > determined to exist Microsoft will simply buy the rights to the name and the
    > company involved would stand to make several year's revenue in one fell
    > swoop. Don't hold your breath for a name change.

    I think this is why the company is sueing now. At present they can show
    MS's name is new, its purely marketing hype and there is no substantial
    reason to allow them to keep it.

    Should be interesting to watch.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Jul 28, 2005
  9. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:46:45 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:23:13 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >>>Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today...

    >> OK, time to think up some rude names.

    > You mis-spelled "dumb"

    So did MS.
    Gordon, Jul 28, 2005
  10. PseUDO

    Brendon Guest

    Brendon, Jul 28, 2005
  11. Mauricio Freitas, Jul 28, 2005
  12. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2005
  13. Its available for download for MSDN subscribers from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/about/ it will also be
    available to TechNet+ subscribers too.

    Later in the year when we get to beta2 it will be available for
    download to anyone that wants to try it out. Beta1 is primarily for
    developers and IT professionals

    If you are interested in getting on the techbeta (starting with beta1
    released this morning) for Windows Vista, "Longhorn" Server and IE7
    please send me an email with your MS Passport (www.passport.com) and
    you will be nominated for the technical beta progam.

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 28, 2005
  14. PseUDO

    Mutley Guest

    thing2 <> wrote:

    >Stan the IT Man wrote:
    >> "thing2" <> wrote in message

    >>>now, now, it make not get called vista anyway, I think an existing company
    >>>by that name is taking them to court.
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>thing
    >>>

    >> Realistically this will be a non-event. The other company's product is
    >> probably not called "Microsoft Windows Vista" so it is unlikely that there's
    >> a trademark issue. In the unlikely event that a trademark infringement is
    >> determined to exist Microsoft will simply buy the rights to the name and the
    >> company involved would stand to make several year's revenue in one fell
    >> swoop. Don't hold your breath for a name change.
    >>

    >I think this is why the company is sueing now. At present they can show
    >MS's name is new, its purely marketing hype and there is no substantial
    >reason to allow them to keep it.
    >
    >Should be interesting to watch.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Do you remember Micro$soft suing Lindows because the name sounded
    similar. Hope someone does the same to M$..
    Mutley, Jul 28, 2005
  15. In article <42e8325f$>, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowsvista/default.mspx

    I can now reveal that one of the new features in Vista is a
    revolutionary GUI customization technology called a "faece" (looks like
    a deliberate misspelling of "face"?). Each faece gives you unprecedented
    control over some aspect desktop behaviour, and the system flexibility
    means you can install faeces all over your desktop.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2005
  16. "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > thing2 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Stan the IT Man wrote:
    >>> "thing2" <> wrote in message

    >>> Realistically this will be a non-event. The other company's product is
    >>> probably not called "Microsoft Windows Vista" so it is unlikely that
    >>> there's
    >>> a trademark issue. In the unlikely event that a trademark infringement
    >>> is
    >>> determined to exist Microsoft will simply buy the rights to the name and
    >>> the
    >>> company involved would stand to make several year's revenue in one fell
    >>> swoop. Don't hold your breath for a name change.
    >>>

    >>I think this is why the company is sueing now. At present they can show
    >>MS's name is new, its purely marketing hype and there is no substantial
    >>reason to allow them to keep it.
    >>
    >>Should be interesting to watch.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > Do you remember Micro$soft suing Lindows because the name sounded
    > similar. Hope someone does the same to M$..

    And in that case the company who owned the original trademark (Microsoft)
    lost to the company who had "borrowed" it (Lindows). So the ultimate irony
    might be that Microsoft uses their own legal precedent to have this new case
    quashed.

    My original comments still stand though, Microsoft's new OS is called
    Microsoft Windows Vista. There won't be any trademark issues.
    Stan the IT Man, Jul 28, 2005
  17. PseUDO

    Mutlley Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:

    >"PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowsvista/default.mspx
    >>
    >> Anyone in the group a Beta tester??
    >>

    >Yes - being a MVP I got into the Beta group. But MSDN subscribers can also
    >download the 2.2GB iso image from today.

    2.2 Gig!!!!!!!!!!! What allot of bloatware!!!!!!!!!
    Mutlley, Jul 29, 2005
  18. No its not bloatware. Its not optimised yet, its only beta1, its still
    a year away from being finished. Right now about 60% of the size of
    the bloatware you allege is taken by non optimised device drivers.

    Vista in its final form will not be anywhere near as large as this

    Bye
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 29, 2005
  19. PseUDO

    PAM. Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > 2.2 Gig!!!!!!!!!!! What allot of bloatware!!!!!!!!!

    Yeah. Who needs a GUI. Use the command line ya losers
    :)

    PAM.
    PAM., Jul 29, 2005
  20. Hi there,

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowsvista/default.mspx

    Is it just me, or do the higher res screenshots appear to be scaled
    up from a lower res, and a light 1-2 pixel gaussian blur applied?
    Why not show the screenshots at their native resolution, and without
    any filtering?

    2100x1575 is a strange screen resolution...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 29, 2005