Windows Vista and Services

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sncameron@gmail.com, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. Guest

    All the software that I work on that can be installed as a service (and
    any other software that will run as a service for that matter) doesn't
    appear to work under Vista if UAC is enabled. The problem is that the
    user is not prompted for elevated privileges, despite the correct call
    to OpenSCManager with the SC_MANAGER_CREATE_SERVICE access right. This
    call fails without ever prompting the user for elevated privileges.
    Turning UAC off means that the service is installed and started
    perfectly (as long as the user is logged in as the administrator, if
    they are not the call fails, but returns the expected error code and
    the user can be informed).

    I have read through every document that I can find regarding services
    and Vista on MSDN, and while they list the changes in Vista, such as
    the impact of services running in Session 0, none of them mention any
    API calls that are necessary in order to get the system to prompt the
    user for elevated privileges rather than simply having the API call
    fail.

    The irony is that Microsoft's own software behaves in the same manner,
    as do all their examples for services. Five years later and Vista still
    feels very half baked indeed.

    Any suggestions, or suggestion as to where I can look to get it to work
    would be appreciated!

    Regards,

    Sean Cameron

    , Jan 25, 2007