Windows Vista and Microsoft Wireless Desktop 1000

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, May 30, 2007.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I was getting tired of the keyboard on my Acer laptop....not as nice
    to use as a regular keyboard......and I thought I'd also get a mouse
    because the sensitive touchpad frequently thinks I have clicked the
    mouse rather than moved it and starts or closes applications I didn't
    want to interact with.

    Anyway, having had a lot of trouble with devics not woking with Vista,
    I went to the local computer ship and bought the boxed set: "Microsoft
    Wireless Desktop 1000". It includes a USB-connected base unit and a
    wireless keyboard and mouse.

    The box said "Certified for Windows Vista". I figured I couldn't do
    much better than that.

    Anyway.....took it home....followed the instructions and installed the
    software first. The CD immediately caused the system to proclaim there
    was a known compatibility issue.....and offered "Get a software update
    from the Microsoft webite." It had a green tick next to it.......so I
    clicked OK, thinking it would go get it.

    Um....no......Up comes the original dialog about
    incompatibility.....Hmmmm.

    Around and around I went until I thought: "Maybe if I click on that
    word "Microsoft" in the "Get...." sentence.....and presto - off we
    went to find the software.

    Not even remotely intuitive......but the answer was hidden in that
    endless loop somewhere and I suppose I was bound to find it
    eventually.....

    So I download and install the software......and then plug in the dvice
    as instructed.

    Vista says I now need to get the device drivers for "Windows Wireless
    Desktop 2.1".....or similar. But can't locate them online and asks for
    the CD. They aren't on the CD.

    No drivers.

    Call Microsoft support.....talk to a nice guy in India named "Vreep".
    He's very helpful and cofirms that I have done the rght thing and that
    he has no idea what's wrong. He suggests I call the laptop vendor.

    Um...no...I'm taking the product back for a full refund.

    This I do and get my money back.

    Only problem now is that when I plug my headphones into the
    speakerjack, I get no sound....but the sound works fine on the built-
    in speakers. The syaem sees the plug go in....and notifies me I've
    plugged it in (Thanks....).

    But no sound.

    The lsson I think I'm learing here is that if you buy a computer with
    Windows Vista on it, DO NOT try to add any hardware to it. NOTHING.

    Of the 5 devices I've added only 1 worked out of the box...and that
    was my SONY DSC-H5 digital camera. Of the others, only one (MS webcam
    VX-1000) managed to work in the end....and the other 3 - (Samsung a900
    cellphone, Motorola bluetooth dongle and MS wireless desktop 1000) all
    fail completely to interoprate with Windows Vista.
    steve, May 30, 2007

  2. steve

    none Guest

    Great story, have you considered a blog?
    none, May 31, 2007

  3. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    steve <> wrote in news:1180565948.275958.224950
    @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

    > The lsson I think I'm learing here is that if you buy a computer with
    > Windows Vista on it, DO NOT try to add any hardware to it. NOTHING.
    >
    > Of the 5 devices I've added only 1 worked out of the box...and that
    > was my SONY DSC-H5 digital camera. Of the others, only one (MS webcam
    > VX-1000) managed to work in the end....and the other 3 - (Samsung a900
    > cellphone, Motorola bluetooth dongle and MS wireless desktop 1000) all
    > fail completely to interoprate with Windows Vista.

    Thanks for the heads up. Drivers will come, but as with any new OS, driver
    support for the first year is very poor.
    Vista is like Windows 95, hmm, no drivers...
    It is the same old issue.
    I can't wait to see someone try Vista on a PC that had 98, then went to XP
    as an upgrade, but never actually added any ram or faster CPU. Slugs, like
    10 minute boot times...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 31, 2007