Windows Vista and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    OK.....made some progress on the "Bluetooth hangs my laptop" issue.

    I was being dumb and didn't see in Vista where one would uninstall
    drivers that were hanging my system . The guy in the store faffed
    around for a few minutes and couldn't remember either.

    First I tried a system restore from 5 different previous backups, but
    they all failed with an unknown error.

    Interesting.

    Then I discovered where to uninstall the software and drivers and did
    so.....then restarted and plugged in the bluetooth device. It asked me
    if I wanted to download updated drivers and then did so.

    Apparently this is the Microsoft Bluetooth support and it is fairly
    straightforward......but the problem with the MS Bluetooth support is
    that it is knobbled to only support file transfer, keyboard and
    mouse.....

    If I want to use my audio headset, I'm back to trying to find out how
    to hack the WIDCOMM drivers (Vista version!) to work on my devices
    without explicit licences. Version 6.x works with Vista, but my
    Motorola devices came with V4.0x.....and they don't work.

    Motorolla says they are working on it......no ETA.

    Various pages say you can get it going with some
    effort........including hacking Vista internals......but I'd rather
    avoid that as I can't see the upgrade / return path.....

    So I'll probably return these Motorola devices and get some that do
    work with Vista explicitly.....

    But at this stage Bluetooth looks like a flakely supported immature
    technology crippled by a combination of proprietary licence knobbling
    and Operating system vendor scrooginess where supported function is
    concerned.

    There is a Vista upgrade fromBroadcom - who bought WIDCOMM - but when
    you try toinstall it is says your devices isn't eligible for update
    via their website.....(not that it won't work - just that they won't
    let it)
    steve, Apr 27, 2007

  2. steve <> wrote:

    > OK.....made some progress on the "Bluetooth hangs my laptop" issue.

    [snip]
    > But at this stage Bluetooth looks like a flakely supported immature
    > technology crippled by a combination of proprietary licence knobbling
    > and Operating system vendor scrooginess where supported function is
    > concerned.

    "flakely" and "immature" under Windows perhaps. Not under OSX. MS needs
    to do better.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large mallet.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 27, 2007

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    On Apr 27, 2:03 am, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    wrote:
    > steve <> wrote:
    > > OK.....made some progress on the "Bluetooth hangs my laptop" issue.

    > [snip]
    > > But at this stage Bluetooth looks like a flakely supported immature
    > > technology crippled by a combination of proprietary licence knobbling
    > > and Operating system vendor scrooginess where supported function is
    > > concerned.

    > "flakely" and "immature" under Windows perhaps. Not under OSX. MS needs
    > to do better.

    Agreed. The technology itself looks as though it would be OK if the
    vendors would just get out of the way and let it actually work.

    My problems appear to all be related to vendor restrictions, not
    technology limitations.
    steve, Apr 27, 2007
  4. steve

    Biggles Guest

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 06:04:33 -0700, steve wrote:

    > Agreed. The technology itself looks as though it would be OK if the
    > vendors would just get out of the way and let it actually work.
    >
    > My problems appear to all be related to vendor restrictions, not
    > technology limitations.

    Another Yawn ..............

    Biggles
    Biggles, Apr 28, 2007
  5. steve

    Kent Smith Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >> OK.....made some progress on the "Bluetooth hangs my laptop" issue.
    >> [snip] But at this stage Bluetooth looks like a flakely supported
    >> immature technology crippled by a combination of proprietary licence
    >> knobbling and Operating system vendor scrooginess where supported
    >> function is concerned.

    > "flakely" and "immature" under Windows perhaps. Not under OSX. MS
    > needs to do better.

    Bluetooth is good on a MAC, just no vendor drivers available. :)

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Apr 30, 2007
  6. Kent Smith <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > steve <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> OK.....made some progress on the "Bluetooth hangs my laptop" issue.
    > >> [snip] But at this stage Bluetooth looks like a flakely supported
    > >> immature technology crippled by a combination of proprietary licence
    > >> knobbling and Operating system vendor scrooginess where supported
    > >> function is concerned.

    > > "flakely" and "immature" under Windows perhaps. Not under OSX. MS
    > > needs to do better.
    > >

    > Bluetooth is good on a MAC, just no vendor drivers available. :)
    >

    > -KENT

    It's also good on Macs. Not sure what you mean by saying it's good on
    Media Access Control. You're not making a lot of sense.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 30, 2007