Windows Vista already available on new laptops

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bertfromnz, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Bertfromnz

    Bertfromnz Guest

    Windows Vista Home Premium is already being sold on new laptops, even ones
    that cost as low as $1398. For example, the Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi v2
    notebook costs $1398 and has an ATI Radeon 110 128MB integrated graphics
    card.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45bf96fd00272606273fc0a87f330687/Product/View/XC3915

    Do you think this graphics card would run the aero feature of Windows Vista?

    Considering that the Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade price is $348, it's
    not a bad deal to get the OEM version on a brand new computer that costs
    $1398!

    I see that you can get a nVidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics card (which has
    128Mb of discrete memory plus 128Mb of shared system memory) with this
    Toshiba Satellite A100/400 notebook which is also equipped with Windows
    Vista Home Premium.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45bf96fd00272606273fc0a87f330687/Product/View/XC3940

    I'm sure this one wouldn't have any problems running the aero feature of
    Vista?

    Cheers, Bert

    Bertfromnz, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Bertfromnz

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:40:39 +1300, Bertfromnz wrote:

    > Windows Vista Home Premium is already being sold on new laptops, even ones
    > that cost as low as $1398. For example, the Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi v2
    > notebook costs $1398 and has an ATI Radeon 110 128MB integrated graphics
    > card.
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45bf96fd00272606273fc0a87f330687/Product/View/XC3915
    >
    > Do you think this graphics card would run the aero feature of Windows Vista?
    >
    > Considering that the Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade price is $348, it's
    > not a bad deal to get the OEM version on a brand new computer that costs
    > $1398!
    >
    > I see that you can get a nVidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics card (which has
    > 128Mb of discrete memory plus 128Mb of shared system memory) with this
    > Toshiba Satellite A100/400 notebook which is also equipped with Windows
    > Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45bf96fd00272606273fc0a87f330687/Product/View/XC3940
    >
    > I'm sure this one wouldn't have any problems running the aero feature of
    > Vista?
    >
    > Cheers, Bert

    I am not buying into it. Apart from the lack of support for OpenGL (which I
    did not know about till yesterday) the other features do nothing for me. I
    thought search in XP was a retrograde step from win98 Find. (it ran slower
    but shit it did have an animated dog) Vista looks like more of the same. I
    have no problems with the alt tab feature as it is. Vista just looks like
    expensive eye candy to me.

    The lack of OpenGL support means OpenGL application run about 9 times
    slower on Vista than they do on XP. It is not a suitable OS for
    professional graphics applications.

    cheers

    Warwick, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Bertfromnz

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > I am not buying into it. Apart from the lack of support for OpenGL
    > (which I did not know about till yesterday) the other features do
    > nothing for me. I thought search in XP was a retrograde step from
    > win98 Find. (it ran slower but shit it did have an animated dog)
    > Vista looks like more of the same. I have no problems with the alt
    > tab feature as it is. Vista just looks like expensive eye candy to me.
    >
    > The lack of OpenGL support means OpenGL application run about 9 times
    > slower on Vista than they do on XP. It is not a suitable OS for
    > professional graphics applications.
    >
    > cheers

    Your information is thoroughly out of date:
    http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=380046

    Had me scared for a minute there.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Bertfromnz

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:57:16 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >>
    >> I am not buying into it. Apart from the lack of support for OpenGL
    >> (which I did not know about till yesterday) the other features do
    >> nothing for me. I thought search in XP was a retrograde step from
    >> win98 Find. (it ran slower but shit it did have an animated dog)
    >> Vista looks like more of the same. I have no problems with the alt
    >> tab feature as it is. Vista just looks like expensive eye candy to me.
    >>
    >> The lack of OpenGL support means OpenGL application run about 9 times
    >> slower on Vista than they do on XP. It is not a suitable OS for
    >> professional graphics applications.
    >>
    >> cheers

    > Your information is thoroughly out of date:
    > http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=380046
    >
    > Had me scared for a minute there.

    these benchmarks are dated 29 Jan 2007.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page11.html

    Good to see the problem can be fixed by the manufacturers of graphics cards
    but if I read your link correctly they have not done this yet. So perhaps
    'thoroughly out of date' is a tad extreme. What do the acronyms IHV and ICD
    stand for?
    --

    cheers

    Warwick, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Bertfromnz

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > these benchmarks are dated 29 Jan 2007.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page11.html
    >
    > Good to see the problem can be fixed by the manufacturers of graphics
    > cards but if I read your link correctly they have not done this yet.
    > So perhaps 'thoroughly out of date' is a tad extreme. What do the
    > acronyms IHV and ICD stand for?

    Independent Hardware Vendor and Installable Client Driver.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Bertfromnz

    Richard Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > I am not buying into it. Apart from the lack of support for OpenGL (which I
    > did not know about till yesterday) the other features do nothing for me. I
    > thought search in XP was a retrograde step from win98 Find. (it ran slower
    > but shit it did have an animated dog) Vista looks like more of the same. I
    > have no problems with the alt tab feature as it is. Vista just looks like
    > expensive eye candy to me.

    the only problems I have with alt-tab on XP is the small default size of
    the window that appears. Would have been better if it would stay on
    screen and let me use the arrows to choose the application - its a
    little slow when you have 40-50 open windows to swap between. Keyboard
    navigation of the taskbar would have been a nice idea too. I am not
    going to bother trying vista again till I have a 64 bit machine with
    more then 4 gigs since it was total shit with only 2 gigs and all my
    apps open.

    > The lack of OpenGL support means OpenGL application run about 9 times
    > slower on Vista than they do on XP. It is not a suitable OS for
    > professional graphics applications.

    How does solidworks go on vista?

    Richard, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Bertfromnz

    Bertfromnz Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > the only problems I have with alt-tab on XP is the small default size of
    > the window that appears. Would have been better if it would stay on screen
    > and let me use the arrows to choose the application - its a little slow
    > when you have 40-50 open windows to swap between. Keyboard navigation of
    > the taskbar would have been a nice idea too. I am not going to bother
    > trying vista again till I have a 64 bit machine with more then 4 gigs
    > since it was total shit with only 2 gigs and all my apps open.

    From what I have read, Vista works fine on laptops which have only 1GB of
    memory. In fact, fairly soon, I guess it will be hard to buy a new computer
    that still has XP on it, so I think most people will find Vista does work OK
    on 1GB. But perhaps it would pay to buy a computer that does have a memory
    that is expandable to 4 gigs, rather than just 2 gigs?

    I'm not sure why you would need 40-50 open windows to swap between? In what
    respects was Vista unsatisfactory for you and what version were you testing?

    Cheers, Bert

    Bertfromnz, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Bertfromnz

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Warwick wrote:
    >

    >> I am not buying into it. Apart from the lack of support for OpenGL
    >> (which I
    >> did not know about till yesterday) the other features do nothing for
    >> me. I
    >> thought search in XP was a retrograde step from win98 Find. (it ran
    >> slower
    >> but shit it did have an animated dog) Vista looks like more of the
    >> same. I
    >> have no problems with the alt tab feature as it is. Vista just looks like
    >> expensive eye candy to me.

    > the only problems I have with alt-tab on XP is the small default size of
    > the window that appears. Would have been better if it would stay on
    > screen and let me use the arrows to choose the application - its a
    > little slow when you have 40-50 open windows to swap between.

    There's a PowerToys addon that enhances task switching.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TaskswitchPowertoySetup.exe

    -=rjh=-, Jan 31, 2007
  9. Bertfromnz

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:03:18 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >

    >> I am not buying into it. Apart from the lack of support for OpenGL (which I
    >> did not know about till yesterday) the other features do nothing for me. I
    >> thought search in XP was a retrograde step from win98 Find. (it ran slower
    >> but shit it did have an animated dog) Vista looks like more of the same. I
    >> have no problems with the alt tab feature as it is. Vista just looks like
    >> expensive eye candy to me.

    > the only problems I have with alt-tab on XP is the small default size of
    > the window that appears. Would have been better if it would stay on
    > screen and let me use the arrows to choose the application - its a
    > little slow when you have 40-50 open windows to swap between. Keyboard
    > navigation of the taskbar would have been a nice idea too. I am not
    > going to bother trying vista again till I have a 64 bit machine with
    > more then 4 gigs since it was total shit with only 2 gigs and all my
    > apps open.
    >

    >> The lack of OpenGL support means OpenGL application run about 9 times
    >> slower on Vista than they do on XP. It is not a suitable OS for
    >> professional graphics applications.

    > How does solidworks go on vista?

    I don't know. My source is appended, it benchmarks a few applications on
    vista and xp machines. In summary Vista is a fraction (a percent or two)
    faster in some and XP a fraction faster than vista in others, except for
    OpenGl applications where Vista takes a hiding. I grabbed the link of
    nz.comp yesterday or the day before.
    I know what you mean, I have 50 windows open at times too, the list isn't
    perfect but it is sequenced in the order the windows were opened. (But you
    already knew that). 3d graphics or not I can't see aero displaying content
    thumbnails for 50 windows in an alt-tab pop up.

    Warwick, Jan 31, 2007
  10. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:40:39 +1300, Bertfromnz wrote:

    > Considering that the Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade price is $348, it's
    > not a bad deal to get the OEM version on a brand new computer that costs
    > $1398!

    What that says to me is that it is possible to purchase a laptop for $1398
    that is actually only worth $1050.

    The only thing that should be done with M$ Windows Vista (WinNT6.0) is
    to completely remove it and replace it with something else.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 3, 2007
  11. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:19:23 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> Good to see the problem can be fixed by the manufacturers of graphics
    >> cards but if I read your link correctly they have not done this yet.
    >> So perhaps 'thoroughly out of date' is a tad extreme. What do the
    >> acronyms IHV and ICD stand for?

    > Independent Hardware Vendor and Installable Client Driver.

    How can a "Hardware Vendor" possibly be "independent" when the only way a
    user of MS Windows Vi$ta can make full use of that item of hardware is by
    the use of a software driver that has been certified by Micro$oft.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 3, 2007