Windows Vista Activation Error 0x8007232b

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Vinny, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. Vinny

    Vinny Guest

    Over the weekend I downloaded Windows Vista Enterprise from my MSDN
    subscription via the eopen downloads site.

    The install worked fine.

    When I attempt to activate the software, however, I receive this error:

    "A problem occured when Windows tried to activate. Error code
    0x8007232b"

    clicking more information indicates

    Code: 0x8007232b

    Since my DNS service works for every other site on the internet I
    connect to from this machine, I assume its some type of glitch in the
    Vista activation software.

    Naturally, Microsoft's KB yields nothing.

    Anyone have any thoughts? Any idea what site the activation software is
    attempting to connect to?
    Vinny, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Vinny

    Theo Guest

    Go to www.microsoft.com and search for your error code. You
    will find this in several links, but one is:

    Volume versions can activate against a KMS-enabled machine
    in your corporate environment or against Microsoft online
    servers using a MAK. MAKs are special keys that are
    installed after your Vista installation is complete. As a
    volume customer you should be able to get one from you MS rep.

    Please consult the Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0
    Technical Guidance page
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact.mspx
    for more information. It includes the Windows Vista
    Volume Activation 2.0 Step-by-Step Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx
    and the Windows Vista Volume Activation FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/faq.mspx .

    Another course of action is to call Microsoft. Try a
    telephone activation.

    Theo, Jan 8, 2007

  3. Hello ,
    Telephone activation will not work. When you install Windows VIsta Volume
    license media, the installation uses a default generic product key.
    By itself, this key will look for a KMS server, querying DNS to locate the
    address of the server.
    When there is no KMS server setup in your enviroment, the error message
    below is given.
    So either a KMS server needs to be setup with the KMS product key and
    activated.
    OR the customer must change the product key to a MAK(Volume License
    Multiple Activation Key) key. After changing to a MAK product key, the
    customer will be able to use phone activation.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 8, 2007
  4. Vinny

    Theo Guest

    Thanks, Darrell. This same question has been asked in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

    I will copy your response and post it over there.

    Theo, Jan 8, 2007