Windows Vista 64bit opinion

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Saga, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. Saga

    Saga Guest

    I am not sure if this is the best group where to ask this, but I was
    not able to locate a specific Vista 64bit group. Please advice.

    A friend is updating her PC and asked if I could recommend a new
    PC for her. She would like it to have Vista Home Premium. I have
    spotted a few candidates and some of them offer Vista Home P 64bit.

    Is the 64bit version of Vista ready to be used by a typical user?
    Could she have any compatibility issues with existing software/
    hardware?

    I have seen 64bit Vista promoted, but it has always given me the
    impression that it is for more specialized individuals who are more
    technologically capapble in resolving issues dealing with drivers,
    software and hardware and not so much for users that just use
    productivity software and do not really know much about PCs or
    Windows.

    What do you all think? Thanks much.

    Saga
    Saga, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Saga

    fs_fan Guest

    I'd say that the expertise needed for x64 is similar to the one required for
    regular version.

    However, it may take you some time dealing with drivers, and you'll find
    some hardware which simply will not run on x64 (I have the example of a
    scanner and a steering wheel - although there are a lot of things that run
    fine).

    So, unless you are using programs which require much RAM (e.g. video edit)
    or are willing to "be prepared for the future", 32-bit edition would be
    fine.

    fs_fan, Nov 12, 2008

  3. the vast majority of programs and hardware that work on 32-bit Vista will do
    so on 64-bit Vista as well. There are exceptions, and it's always worth
    verifying that any existing peripherals she has will work. A PC that is
    shipped with 64-bit Vista should have drivers for all the peripherals and
    components of the PC.

    If your friend doesn't have a need for >3GB of RAM, then a 32-bit version of
    Windows is fine. but if she wants or needs more, then 64-bit is really your
    only option.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 12, 2008
  4. The problem is that people tend to get creative with a PC, and suddenly you
    find you need something that couldn't be anticipated. It's impossible to
    give general full coverage advice - but if you didn't expect to put more
    than three GB of RAM inside and the maximal usage is not terribly advanced
    in terms of sofisticated 64bit software, and you don't expect it to
    'survive' more than 3 - 4 years in it's contemplated environment - then a
    32bit system 'should' be all-right, but 64bit is going to be the future.

    The troubles that do arise around a 64bit system is not actually much
    different from a 32bit system, but can seem to be extremely obscure for a
    new convert. Many times it is just a matter of being forced into doing a few
    things somewhat differently. The easy part is that you can start out by not
    attaching any old devices, and those devices that you want to have can be
    searched out and investigated for 64bit support before you pay. Do note that
    devices labeled as 'Vista Compatible' can turn out to be 32bit only when you
    open the box!!!

    So, carry out your detective work accordingly and you can have a 64bit
    system that is completely spotless!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 12, 2008
  5. Saga

    Saga Guest

    Thank you Tony, fs_fan and Charlie.

    I don't believe she'll need more than 3GB. At this time she mostly
    uses Skype, Mikogo, Office and a few other applications (Adobe Flash
    player, VLC Media player). Old hardware consists of her monitor and
    her printer. Since she is an investor, she uses e-trade (or something
    similar)

    I guess my concern is what is mentioned about people getting creative.

    For now I think I will recommend 32bit version - it just seems a better
    way to go for her at this time.

    Again, thanks for the replies.
    Saga

    Saga, Nov 12, 2008
  6. This seems a fair decision - although, I forgot to mention that there is no
    x64 upgrade. If she decides she want 64bit later it will have to be a new
    investment and a clean installation, so a backup solution could turn out to
    be wise.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 12, 2008
  7. Saga

    Saga Guest

    Thanks again. Even is she never upgrades, a backup solution is always
    a good idea :)

    That reminded me of something - I thought I'd heard that the retail version
    of Vista included both 32 and 64 bit versions. Is that INcorrect? If it is then
    I probably misunderstood when that briefly came up.

    Saga

    Saga, Nov 12, 2008
  8. That would be the (what's the name?) 'supreme' version, if I'm not
    completely off on that. The home versions are one or the other, I'm pretty
    sure. I'm on XP x64 myself so the specifics tend to slip away.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 12, 2008
  9. Saga

    John Barnes Guest

    Vista Ultimate Retail comes with both disks (32 and 64-bit). Other versions
    have the 64-bit version available for a shipping and handling charge of
    about $10.

    John Barnes, Nov 13, 2008
  10. Thanks, John - I guess, that was what I was trying to say.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 13, 2008
  11. But only for retail versions.

    A new PC - built or bought - would qualify for the OEM version, at a saving,
    but this is either 32-bit or 64-bit with no option to switch.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 13, 2008
  12. Saga

    Saga Guest

    Thank all.
    Saga

    Saga, Nov 13, 2008
  13. Saga

    John Barnes Guest

    That is why I specified it in my reply. See third word.

    John Barnes, Nov 13, 2008
  14. Saga

    Gary Glenn Guest

    How do I know if I have the 64bit or 32bit version of Vista Home Premium?
    Can I look it up somewhere on teh system?

    Gary Glenn, Jan 10, 2009
  15. System properties - under system, it will say "64-bit operating system" if
    you're running 64-bit.

    (to open system properties, from a command line, type: "Control.exe System".

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2009