Windows Vista 64 or Windows Vista 32 for AMD 64 FX-57

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Ok, my head has been spinning researching and trying to decide once I do
    upgrade to Windows Vista which to get the 32 or 64 bit versions. Here is my
    scenario: I am a gamer and I have an AMD 64 FX-57 CPU, Two Nvidia 7800 GTX’s
    in SLI mode, (which I plan to replace with an Nvidia DirectX 10 Video Card),
    an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard (can support up to 4gig of ram), I have 2
    gigs of dual channel pc 3200 ram, a Sound Blaster Xfi sound card, on board
    Ethernet card, a Linksys router, and a Cannon Multipass MP730 printer. I use
    a Raid configuration with 2 WD Raptors. I also have two other computers
    networked together that are NOT 64 bit capable. I also play new games as well
    as games that are a year or two old. Some current games I will or am playing
    are: EQ2, WoW, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Neverwinter Nights 2, Titan Quest,
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Vanguard, Company of Heroes, Oblivion.

    I already ran the Vista test program to see if I'm compatible which I am for
    the most part except for drivers for my XFi soundcard and Nero.

    Here are my questions:
    1) I hear about a lot of compatibility issues with 64 bit windows, for
    example, not supporting 16 bit applications that some install programs still
    use (not sure what ones), issues with older software and hardware and not
    allowing unsigned drivers to be installed, etc.
    2) Will the 64 bit version work well with my PC with the hardware and games
    I have?
    3) I heard you should have 4 gig of ram for 64 bit vista is that true? Is 2
    Gig of Ram too low for 64 bit windows? Will this all work with my Motherboard?
    4) What games (or a site that lists them) do not work with Vista 64 bit but
    do work with 32 bit?
    5) Will not allowing to install unsigned drivers be a major issue for gamers
    who need updates for the latest game to work since video drivers for example,
    are updated frequently but not yet signed by Microsoft? Which I assume takes
    a lot longer.
    6) I know you can't get a 64 bit upgrade version of Vista if you only have a
    32 bit version of XP now, but If I get the full version of 64 bit Ultimate,
    can the two additional keys I get for $50 each be for 32 bit versions of
    windows (for my two non-64 bit PC's?).
    7) What if I got the 64 bit Home premium can I get 32 bit version upgrades
    with the family discount or does it all need to be 64 bit versions?
    7) If I went 64 bit Vista will the other non-64 bit PC’s have trouble
    communicating with each other in anyway like via network or copying files
    etc.?

    I do not plan to get Vista right away due to the fact that stable
    established drivers need to come out still for all the hardware like my poor
    Soundblaster XFi, but in a few months I will.
    =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=, Feb 5, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > 1) I hear about a lot of compatibility issues with 64 bit windows, for
    > example, not supporting 16 bit applications that some install programs still
    > use (not sure what ones), issues with older software and hardware and not
    > allowing unsigned drivers to be installed, etc.

    If you have any 16 bit apps, you won't be able to run them in Vista 64
    -- but it doesn't sound like you do.

    If you have any old DOS apps that want to run in full screen mode (say
    some really old video games) they won't run in either 32 or 64 bit
    Vistal.

    > 2) Will the 64 bit version work well with my PC with the hardware and games
    > I have?

    You probably need to check for each application and each of the games
    to verify that they will run. Typically, the answer for the
    applications will be yes, but there may be some that don't (I
    understand that Intuit programs may have issues with Vista, certainly
    with Vista 64 and perhaps??? with Vista 32).

    > 3) I heard you should have 4 gig of ram for 64 bit vista is that true? Is 2
    > Gig of Ram too low for 64 bit windows? Will this all work with my Motherboard?

    You don't have to, but Vista 64 will fully support 4G of RAM and should
    perform better.

    > 4) What games (or a site that lists them) do not work with Vista 64 bit but
    > do work with 32 bit?

    Fair question, that.

    > 5) Will not allowing to install unsigned drivers be a major issue for gamers
    > who need updates for the latest game to work since video drivers for example,
    > are updated frequently but not yet signed by Microsoft? Which I assume takes
    > a lot longer.

    It might be with hardware drivers - nVidia has some beta drivers just
    released this week, you might see what sort of feedback they get there.

    > 6) I know you can't get a 64 bit upgrade version of Vista if you only have a
    > 32 bit version of XP now, but If I get the full version of 64 bit Ultimate,
    > can the two additional keys I get for $50 each be for 32 bit versions of
    > windows (for my two non-64 bit PC's?).

    To be honest, I'm not sure how that licensing goes.

    > 7) What if I got the 64 bit Home premium can I get 32 bit version upgrades
    > with the family discount or does it all need to be 64 bit versions?

    I think you can mix and match.

    > 7) If I went 64 bit Vista will the other non-64 bit PC’s have trouble
    > communicating with each other in anyway like via network or copying files
    > etc.?

    No -- that shouldn't be a problem at all.

    > I do not plan to get Vista right away due to the fact that stable
    > established drivers need to come out still for all the hardware like my poor
    > Soundblaster XFi, but in a few months I will.

    Then you are doing the right thing -- ask away, read the replies -- I
    am sure I'll have company...

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Oh, I know the feeling! This is precisely what drove me into the warm
    embrace of XP x64 - and this relationship has been going on for two years,
    now. It has been 'rough sailing' some of the time, but it has been educating
    too, and I didn't regret it for a second!

    It is not very hard to advice you on this, if any of your games (or work?)
    comes in a 64bit version that REQUIRES 4GB RAM or more, then YES! If not,
    then it's a matter of taste and adventure. If you anticipate that some of
    your app's will be released in a 64bit version, any time soon, that will
    really take advantage of all that RAM, then YES, go with the pain and the
    adventure now. If you just want to fire up your games and play - go 32bit!
    There is no execution speed advantage from 64bit alone - it's all about the
    width of the Data-Path. Think about a freeway. If it takes you 1hour to go
    from A to B, and the stretch isn't filled up to begin with, then you cannot
    expect to make the trip in half an hour, if the Mayor decides to double the
    lanes on that stretch.

    If it is filled up, when they decide to widen the road, then you might
    expect to substantially reduce your traveling-time - minus the time that it
    takes you to get on to the freeway! If they do extend the road it must be
    expected to attract more traffic and the reduction you expect may not be
    fullfilled - this will happen on your computer too.

    XP x64 is a great system - not because it is 64bit (unless you really need
    4GB+ RAM processing), but because it is a great system, and enough care has
    gone into it to make sure it would be great, from every aspect. I am not
    sure that the same can be said for Vista - I am suspecting that 64bit Vista
    is nothing but a recompiled version of 32bit Vista, and when DX10 is
    released I will probably invest in this system to support FSX, but I am
    quite sure it will be 32bit!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Feb 6, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    if you want to use your multifunction canon printer, stick with 32bit.

    Nut Cracker, Feb 6, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?YWRub24=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I'm using a Canon MP530 on Vista 64-bit with zero problems (same was true
    with XP x64), I don't think the MP730 would be any worse off. Drivers are
    on Canon's site.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 7, 2007