Windows Vista 64 Bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kulgan, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Kulgan

    Kulgan Guest

    Hi All

    Up until now I have been running 32 bit WinXP on all my PCs (even
    though they all have 64 bit AMD processors). I am considering upgrading
    one as a test to the 64 bit version of Vista. Are there any good
    websites out there that document using a 64 bit version of XP / Vista?
    I am looking for information on the gotchas and problems I am likely to
    encounter.

    My PCs get used pretty hard for:

    .NET Software Development
    Java software development
    MS Office
    Video editing and DVD authoring
    Email and web browsing
    Gaming
    Copying CDs into Realplayer / iTunes and then on to my iPod

    Has anyone got any advice / good web site recommendations?

    Thanks,

    Kulgan.

    Kulgan, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Kulgan

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Charlie's "Is Windows XP x64 Right For Me?" paper is a good place to start.
    A lot of the issues still apply to Vista x64.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 16, 2007

  3. Kulgan

    Kulgan Guest

    Kulgan, Jan 16, 2007
  4. In addition to the whitepaper, which is a good starting point, keep in mind
    that with the upcoming retail availability of Vista x64, we all hope and
    expect the driver situation to improve fairly quickly. The other thing to
    keep in mind when reading that paper is that it was written for XP x64.
    Vista x64 has some definite advantages over XP x64 in that it is full
    feature parity.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 16, 2007
  5. Kulgan

    John Barnes Guest

    Keep in mind that XP64 allowed unsigned drivers and Vista64 requires signed
    drivers. This MAY require that you replace programs for Vista64 that worked
    on XP64. Roxio EMC 8 works on XP not on Vista64, you need EMC9. So you
    need to buy the replacement if you have EMC8. Same scenario also goes for
    other programs. Then again, some of my hardware that didn't have drivers
    for XP64, have drivers for Vista64.

    John Barnes, Jan 16, 2007
  6. * Kulgan:

    > Up until now I have been running 32 bit WinXP on all my PCs (even
    > though they all have 64 bit AMD processors). I am considering upgrading
    > one as a test to the 64 bit version of Vista. Are there any good
    > websites out there that document using a 64 bit version of XP / Vista?
    > I am looking for information on the gotchas and problems I am likely to
    > encounter.
    >
    > My PCs get used pretty hard for:
    >
    > .NET Software Development
    > Java software development
    > MS Office
    > Video editing and DVD authoring
    > Email and web browsing
    > Gaming
    > Copying CDs into Realplayer / iTunes and then on to my iPod

    Forget iTunes with any x64 Windows. The last iTunes version that worked
    was 6.0.4 (which lacks lots of features and has some security holes),
    newer versions simply don't work on XP x64 or Vista x64 any more..

    > Has anyone got any advice / good web site recommendations?

    My advice is: if you don't have more than 4GB or memory an/or no native
    64bit applications then just stay with 32bit Windows. Makes life much
    easier...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jan 17, 2007