Windows Virual PC 64 bit and 32 bit questions...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bikini Browser, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. Hello everyone...

    I need to run Windows XP mode on a new future build of my Windows 7 ultimate
    OS.

    I am new at all this virtual stuff so please bare with me....

    My questions are as follows....

    Q1: Should I install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 ultimate and expect to
    be able to run the 32 bit version of Windows XP Mode?

    Q2: I have a Brooktrout fax board that only runs on Windows XP 32 bit mode.
    Can I expect to see the Windows XP Mode detect the brooktrout Fax Board and
    allow me to install drivers for it? There will not be any Windows 7 drivers
    installed for it.

    Q3: I want to upgrade my Memory to be able to support Windows 7 and XP Mode
    a little better. I currently have 2 Gig installed in a dual channel mode.
    Should I order two 512k modules or should I max out the computer and order
    the additional 2 gig of RAM? I guess this depends on what kind of OS I am
    going to install in the future, right? I mean Windows 7 won't utilize 4 gig
    of RAM unless it is a 64 bit version, RIGHT? How about the virtual part of
    it...? Is there any advantage of installing 4 GIG of RAM if I plan on
    using XP Mode?

    Q4: If I am going to install MS Office, and my Windows XP needs the
    software to run along with ACT CRM, do I have to install two copies of
    OFFICE and TWO Copies of ACT, one in each version of Windows? (I am using
    the same PC and the same hard drive but I want to install Windows 7 and XP
    Mode.)

    Q5: Where is the Windows 7 news group? Why is it still missing?

    Please advise...

    --
    Bikini Browser of San Juan Puerto Rico
    Small Business Office Automation

    (787) 637-9100
    www.daleallen.com

    Bikini Browser, Mar 29, 2010

  2. Bikini Browser

    Bill Grant Guest

    See inline comments.

    "Bikini Browser" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone...
    >
    > I need to run Windows XP mode on a new future build of my Windows 7
    > ultimate OS.
    >
    > I am new at all this virtual stuff so please bare with me....
    >
    > My questions are as follows....
    >
    > Q1: Should I install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 ultimate and expect
    > to be able to run the 32 bit version of Windows XP Mode?

    Yes. The XP Mode OS is XP SP3 x86. It will run on Win 7 x64. Windows
    VPC cannot run 64-bit guests.

    > Q2: I have a Brooktrout fax board that only runs on Windows XP 32 bit
    > mode. Can I expect to see the Windows XP Mode detect the brooktrout Fax
    > Board and allow me to install drivers for it? There will not be any
    > Windows 7 drivers installed for it.

    Unlikely. A vm does not see the physical hardware of the host. It sees its
    own virtual "hardware". With WVPC on Win 7 you can see USB devices on the
    host.

    > Q3: I want to upgrade my Memory to be able to support Windows 7 and XP
    > Mode a little better. I currently have 2 Gig installed in a dual channel
    > mode. Should I order two 512k modules or should I max out the computer and
    > order the additional 2 gig of RAM? I guess this depends on what kind of
    > OS I am going to install in the future, right? I mean Windows 7 won't
    > utilize 4 gig of RAM unless it is a 64 bit version, RIGHT? How about the
    > virtual part of it...? Is there any advantage of installing 4 GIG of RAM
    > if I plan on using XP Mode?

    I would install 4G and run x64 Windows 7. That's what I have.

    > Q4: If I am going to install MS Office, and my Windows XP needs the
    > software to run along with ACT CRM, do I have to install two copies of
    > OFFICE and TWO Copies of ACT, one in each version of Windows? (I am using
    > the same PC and the same hard drive but I want to install Windows 7 and XP
    > Mode.)

    That is up to you. If you want to run these apps in native mode in both
    XP and Win 7 you will need to install them in both OSs. If you are happy to
    run them in XP you only need to install them is the vm. You can start the
    app from the taskbar in Win 7 but it will run in the vm. If the vm is not
    running, XP Mode will start it up and run the app. The app will not
    immediately hibernate when you stop using it from the host (it has a timer
    of about 5 minutes). Starting this or another app from the Win 7 desktop is
    fast if the vm is still running.

    > Q5: Where is the Windows 7 news group? Why is it still missing?

    Windows 7 support is through Technet forums.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories

    Bill Grant, Mar 29, 2010

  3. If the brooktrout fax card cannot be installed in the virtual mode, then
    this is all a mute point. I HAVE to have that software and hardware running
    on my only computer. There must be a way to allow the virtual Machine to
    see the device on the physical PC and allow device drivers to be
    installed....

    Additionally, I have an old Seiko Smart Label printer that I have thousands
    of lables for and I dearly love this old lable printer but there are no
    Windows 7 drivers for it. It uses a Serial port (com1). How would I be
    able to continue using that printer?

    Please advise....

    Bikini Browser

    Bikini Browser, Mar 29, 2010
  4. I was reading on the net and I found something about "integration components
    need to be enabled",

    "...you can see these VPCBus channels in guest device management. These
    devices come under "Other devices" category and are named "Virtual PC
    Integration Device".

    Could that be the area that I need to utilize for the brooktrout integration
    into the Windows XP Mode?

    Please advise...

    Bikini Browser

    Bikini Browser, Mar 29, 2010
  5. Bikini Browser

    Zaidy036 Guest

    In article <>, not.available@online
    says...

    > See inline comments.
    >
    > "Bikini Browser" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello everyone...
    > >
    > > I need to run Windows XP mode on a new future build of my Windows 7
    > > ultimate OS.
    > >
    > > I am new at all this virtual stuff so please bare with me....
    > >
    > > My questions are as follows....
    > >
    > > Q1: Should I install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 ultimate and expect
    > > to be able to run the 32 bit version of Windows XP Mode?
    > >

    > Yes. The XP Mode OS is XP SP3 x86. It will run on Win 7 x64. Windows
    > VPC cannot run 64-bit guests.
    >
    > > Q2: I have a Brooktrout fax board that only runs on Windows XP 32 bit
    > > mode. Can I expect to see the Windows XP Mode detect the brooktrout Fax
    > > Board and allow me to install drivers for it? There will not be any
    > > Windows 7 drivers installed for it.
    > >

    > Unlikely. A vm does not see the physical hardware of the host. It sees its
    > own virtual "hardware". With WVPC on Win 7 you can see USB devices on the
    > host.
    >
    > > Q3: I want to upgrade my Memory to be able to support Windows 7 and XP
    > > Mode a little better. I currently have 2 Gig installed in a dual channel
    > > mode. Should I order two 512k modules or should I max out the computer and
    > > order the additional 2 gig of RAM? I guess this depends on what kind of
    > > OS I am going to install in the future, right? I mean Windows 7 won't
    > > utilize 4 gig of RAM unless it is a 64 bit version, RIGHT? How about the
    > > virtual part of it...? Is there any advantage of installing 4 GIG of RAM
    > > if I plan on using XP Mode?
    > >

    > I would install 4G and run x64 Windows 7. That's what I have.
    >
    > > Q4: If I am going to install MS Office, and my Windows XP needs the
    > > software to run along with ACT CRM, do I have to install two copies of
    > > OFFICE and TWO Copies of ACT, one in each version of Windows? (I am using
    > > the same PC and the same hard drive but I want to install Windows 7 and XP
    > > Mode.)
    > >

    > That is up to you. If you want to run these apps in native mode in both
    > XP and Win 7 you will need to install them in both OSs. If you are happy to
    > run them in XP you only need to install them is the vm. You can start the
    > app from the taskbar in Win 7 but it will run in the vm. If the vm is not

    One NG is alt.windows7.general

    Zaidy036, Mar 29, 2010
  6. The Brooktrout board will not be available in XP Mode. Only physical
    devices connected to USB and serial ports are available to XP Mode. All
    other devices are virtual.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 29, 2010
  7. PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 29, 2010