    OZZY Boy Guest

    Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's

    Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.

    OZZY Boy, Aug 5, 2009

  2. Re: Dimdows V Linux

    In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's

    Linux runs on more hardware than Windows does.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009

  3. OZZY Boy

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >
    > Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.

    Woger

    You're well out of date with that idea. may I suggest you boot a
    current linux live CD on you system and see how much hardware isn't
    recognised. Post the results back so we can all share the experience.

    EMB, Aug 5, 2009
  4. OZZY Boy

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: Dimdows V Linux

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, OZZY Boy
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most
    >>> PC's

    >> Linux runs on more hardware than Windows does.
    >>

    > Cant resist
    >
    > But does it run well and able to be administered/used by average
    > users

    Shhheeet NO!! We don't want **AVERAGE** users. We want **SUPERIOR** users.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 5, 2009
  5. Re: Dimdows V Linux

    In message <4a7935c9$>, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's

    >> Linux runs on more hardware than Windows does.
    >>

    > But does it run well and able to be administered/used by average users

    It seems to work better with newbies who have no preconceptions to unlearn
    about how an OS should work.

    You see this, for example, with Windows-experienced people complaining about
    downloading stuff from random websites and wondering how to install it on a
    Linux system. Unless you're an expert, stick to the standard repositories
    already preconfigured into your package-management tools. You should find
    pretty much everything you need already there.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2009
  6. OZZY Boy

    OZZY Boy Guest

    On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy <> wrote:

    >Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >
    >Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.

    Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for its self..

    OZZY Boy, Aug 5, 2009
  7. OZZY Boy

    victor Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy <> wrote:
    >

    >> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >>
    >> Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.
    >>

    > Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for its self..

    It says most lunatics use windows.

    victor, Aug 5, 2009
  8. OZZY Boy

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: Dimdows V Linux

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Collector_NZ wrote:

    >>> Cant resist
    >>>
    >>> But does it run well and able to be administered/used by average
    >>> users
    >>>

    >> Shhheeet NO!! We don't want **AVERAGE** users. We want **SUPERIOR**
    >> users.
    >>

    > ,My castle for just two or three **SUPERIOR USERS** on my sites, life
    > would get easier and I doubt it would mater what OS

    Ah good point.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 5, 2009
  9. OZZY Boy

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy <> wrote:
    >

    >> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >>
    >> Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.
    >>

    > Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for its self..

    Yep, it says the world is full of close-minded fools like yourself who
    are unwilling to even *try* an alternative. By your logic you should
    not use Freeview as it's new, unproven and difficult to set up.

    Seriously Roger, give a linux live CD a go - things have changed a lot
    over the last year or so.

    EMB, Aug 5, 2009
  10. Re: Dimdows V Linux

    In article <4a7935c9$>, Collector_NZ <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's

    >> Linux runs on more hardware than Windows does.
    >>

    >Cant resist
    >
    >But does it run well and able to be administered/used by average users

    Average users "administer" ? I think that's a huge (wrong) assumption. :) :)

    That typed, again I suggest that Lawrence be left alone in the bit bucket
    with the rest of the trolls and fanatics to wither and die.

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2009
  11. Re: Dimdows V Linux

    In article <4a793c2e$>, Collector_NZ <> wrote:
    >Enkidu wrote:

    (snip)
    >,My castle for just two or three **SUPERIOR USERS** on my sites, life
    >would get easier and I doubt it would mater what OS

    OK, now this raises an interesting point. Do "we" try to educate users these
    days or do we just let them wallow in ignorance, accepting that ignorance is
    normal ?
    If the latter, has this been a decision or just what happened because of
    circumstances ? :)

    I come from a computing time when opening the box was just expected, so at
    least we had an idea of what was inside. Similarly, we usually had to
    understand what the software was trying to do and how to work out what was
    causing the wierd fault/problem. Seems to me that most people these days
    just treat computers a bit like a toaster ... and given that most people
    don't even know how toasters work, that doesn't sound clever.

    Thoughts ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2009
  12. In article <h5co4v$v9r$-september.org>, victor <> wrote:
    >OZZY Boy wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy

    > <> wrote:

    >>> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >>> Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not

    > support it.
    >> Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for

    > its self..
    >It says most lunatics use windows.

    Even if anyone still believes the 1% / 99 % numbers (which we shouldn't
    given they are usually quoted as based on "sales" :) ) ... I will note that
    "popular" <> "right" .. or "clever" ... or "good".

    For proof and more details, observe any politician. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2009
  13. In article <h5d7v7$ou1$-september.org>, wrote:
    >victor wrote:
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:

    >snip the usual...
    >
    >> Point
    >> and click as a standard of usability? What is this, pre-school? It seems
    >> what these folks really want are Fisher-Price computers. Maybe Linux is
    >> for grownups, and we should be satisfied with that."

    >Linux advocated often claim Linux is better than X because you CAN use
    >the command line.
    >The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux work.

    Simply not true IME, though it's nice to have the option.

    >A Linux user spends several minutes typing in arcane commands to do X...

    As above, nope.

    >In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X
    >And The Linux user claims Linux is better, faster, etc, etc....

    Well, that's obvious once you've used it. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2009
  14. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more,

    Yes. In netbooks, Linux 24%, Dimdows 76%.

    And that's the only segment of the PC market still showing signs of growth.
    Do I need to say more?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2009
  15. OZZY Boy

    victor Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:32:17 +1200, OZZY Boy <> wrote:
    >

    >> Yes Windows that can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >>
    >> Lunix is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.
    >>

    > Lunix 1% windows 99% do I need to say more, I think that it speaks for its self..

    "A lot of people make the exact same sweeping claims in all seriousness,
    as though they were spokespeople for a Silent and Dimwitted Computing
    Majority, and insist that until Linux is so easy that an unconscious
    person can use it it will never succeed. In my opinion it's a matter of
    how willing a particular individual is to learn; some folks just plain
    don't want to try. Which is their privilege, but as long as they're
    using a computer for any reason it makes no sense to resist learning how
    to use it efficiently. But then, trying to make sense of human behavior
    is a futile task, so I'm not going to think about it too much.

    Meanwhile, back at the reader comments Benfrank chimes in with a
    perfectly splendid retort:

    "OMG a knife, a spoon, AND a fork?? **nervous breakdown**"

    He makes a good point-- until all food can be prepared and eaten with a
    single intuitive dead-simple perfect implement, then by gosh nobody
    should even try to eat.

    Meanwhile back in the real world, it is silly to go on strike and refuse
    to invest any effort in learning to use a computer competently because
    it has not yet attained some weird ideal state of effortless perfection.
    Windows is not easier than Linux. Mac OS X is not easier than Linux.
    Both Mac and Windows are considerably more limited in what they allow
    you to do than Linux, not only technically but legally as well. Point

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6814/1/

    victor, Aug 6, 2009
  16. OZZY Boy

    Max Burke Guest

    victor wrote:
    > OZZY Boy wrote:

    snip the usual...

    > Point
    > and click as a standard of usability? What is this, pre-school? It seems
    > what these folks really want are Fisher-Price computers. Maybe Linux is
    > for grownups, and we should be satisfied with that."

    Linux advocated often claim Linux is better than X because you CAN use
    the command line.
    The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux work.

    A Linux user spends several minutes typing in arcane commands to do X...

    In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X

    And The Linux user claims Linux is better, faster, etc, etc....

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 6, 2009
  17. OZZY Boy

    victor Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:

    > snip the usual...
    >
    >> Point and click as a standard of usability? What is this, pre-school?
    >> It seems what these folks really want are Fisher-Price computers.
    >> Maybe Linux is for grownups, and we should be satisfied with that."

    > Linux advocated often claim Linux is better than X because you CAN use
    > the command line.
    > The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux work.
    >
    > A Linux user spends several minutes typing in arcane commands to do X...
    >
    > In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X
    >
    > And The Linux user claims Linux is better, faster, etc, etc....

    You recently complained that your Linux install updated inconveniently.
    You could have configured that with the GUI, its just that you prefer to
    whinge.
    Often the command line is an easy way of entering a series of commands,
    equivalents exist in other operating systems.
    Its often easier to cut and paste a config file than use the gui
    dashboard to enter a bunch of tick boxes.
    Its all text under the hood.

    victor, Aug 6, 2009
  18. Re: Dimdows V Linux

    In message <h5d7v7$ou1$-september.org>, Max Burke wrote:

    > The reality is that you *HAVE TO* use that command line to make Linux
    > work.

    No more than the reality is that you *HAVE TO* do Registry edits, with all
    the risks that that entails to your system, to make Windows work.

    > In Windows/MAC OS you just point/click and you've done X

    Go to the Start menu. Select "Frobnicator Settings". In the window that
    appears, select the "Pre-frobnication tab". Click on the "Add New Pre-
    Frobnicator" button. In the dialog that appears, fill in the fields as
    follows--

    What? You can't see a "Pre-Frobnication" tab? Oh sorry--are you running
    Vista or XP? Oh, that's right, they moved those settings to another window.
    Find your "Additional Extensions" tab. Click on the "Frobnication
    Extensions" addition. When that opens, look for the "extended additions"
    add-on. Click on--

    Eyelids ... getting ... so ... heavy ... *snore*

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2009
  19. OZZY Boy

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 5, 6:32 pm, OZZY Boy <>
    wrote:
    > Yes Windows that  can be used by most people and can run on most PC's
    >
    > Lunix   is use by Lunatics and has poor driver support and PC shops do not support it.

    Several years ago Fletcher Building got done for predatory pricing by
    the Commerce Commission for lowering the price of insulating 'Batts'
    to try and drivre the opposition out of business.

    Seems like Microsoft is pulling a rather similar stunt with netbooks.

    peterwn, Aug 6, 2009
  20. Re: Dimdows V Linux

    In message <0e8a6509-8911-4a39-99fd-
    >, peterwn wrote:

    > Several years ago Fletcher Building got done for predatory pricing by
    > the Commerce Commission for lowering the price of insulating 'Batts'
    > to try and drivre the opposition out of business.
    >
    > Seems like Microsoft is pulling a rather similar stunt with netbooks.

    But how long can it continue to afford the price
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4604>?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2009