    Should I install it ?

    Thank you for your advice.

    Jaypie
    Jaypie, Jun 9, 2012

  2. Jaypie

    miso Guest

    On 6/9/2012 10:45 AM, Jaypie wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use Windows 7 with IE 8.
    >
    > I have an optional update that reads :
    > nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 of 147 MB
    >
    > I guess it's an update for the driver of the graphics card.
    >
    > Should I install it ?
    >
    > Thank you for your advice.
    >
    > Jaypie

    My recollection is you can set up windows update for 3rd party vendors,
    i.e. not just Microsoft, hence the notice. However, if you don't trust
    it, just go to the Nvidia website and get the update directly.
    miso, Jun 9, 2012

  3. Jaypie

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jaypie wrote:

    > I use Windows 7 with IE 8. I have an optional update that reads :
    > nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 of 147 MB I
    > guess it's an update for the driver of the graphics card. Should I
    > install it ?

    Never get hardware updates from Microsoft. Use them only as a prompt to
    visit the hardware maker's own web site to check on which update is
    application to YOUR hardware. Microsoft's Windows Update site way too
    often mis-detects your hardware and offers the wrong driver. If the
    driver's author finds a problem with the program, it takes a long time
    for them to get it off the WU site but the change is immediate on their
    own web site.

    So what isn't working with your current driver/software setup for your
    video card? Why are you trying to commit brain surgery on the
    hardware-OS interface to fix something that ain't broke? The latest is
    NOT necessarily the best. In fact, the latest driver may have bugs in
    it that are worse than any in the longer established older version.
    VanguardLH, Jun 9, 2012
  4. Jaypie

    Jaypie Guest

    "VanguardLH" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
    jr0e4h$u00$...

    Jaypie wrote:

    > I use Windows 7 with IE 8. I have an optional update that reads :
    > nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 of 147 MB I
    > guess it's an update for the driver of the graphics card. Should I
    > install it ?

    Never get hardware updates from Microsoft. Use them only as a prompt to
    visit the hardware maker's own web site to check on which update is
    application to YOUR hardware. Microsoft's Windows Update site way too
    often mis-detects your hardware and offers the wrong driver. If the
    driver's author finds a problem with the program, it takes a long time
    for them to get it off the WU site but the change is immediate on their
    own web site.

    So what isn't working with your current driver/software setup for your
    video card? Why are you trying to commit brain surgery on the
    hardware-OS interface to fix something that ain't broke? The latest is
    NOT necessarily the best. In fact, the latest driver may have bugs in
    it that are worse than any in the longer established older version.
    - - - - - - - - - -

    Everything is working very well, I don't see any problem.

    So, your good advice is much appreciated.

    Thyank you
    Jaypie, Jun 10, 2012
  5. Jaypie

    Jaypie Guest

    "miso" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
    jr0dgg$l6j$...

    On 6/9/2012 10:45 AM, Jaypie wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use Windows 7 with IE 8.
    >
    > I have an optional update that reads :
    > nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 of 147 MB
    >
    > I guess it's an update for the driver of the graphics card.
    >
    > Should I install it ?
    >
    > Thank you for your advice.
    >
    > Jaypie

    My recollection is you can set up windows update for 3rd party vendors,
    i.e. not just Microsoft, hence the notice. However, if you don't trust
    it, just go to the Nvidia website and get the update directly.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Right now, the graphics card is working very well, no problem.

    So, I will follow your advice.

    Thank you
    Jaypie, Jun 10, 2012
  6. Jaypie

    miso Guest

    On 6/9/2012 2:10 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Jaypie wrote:
    >
    >> I use Windows 7 with IE 8. I have an optional update that reads :
    >> nVidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430 of 147 MB I
    >> guess it's an update for the driver of the graphics card. Should I
    >> install it ?

    > Never get hardware updates from Microsoft. Use them only as a prompt to
    > visit the hardware maker's own web site to check on which update is
    > application to YOUR hardware. Microsoft's Windows Update site way too
    > often mis-detects your hardware and offers the wrong driver. If the
    > driver's author finds a problem with the program, it takes a long time
    > for them to get it off the WU site but the change is immediate on their
    > own web site.

    That is how I use windows update, i.e. just for notices. It kept trying
    to upload a SIIG driver that I knew was a problem, so from that point on
    I figured better to avoid their advice. The problem was SIIG made a
    device with the same name but two different chipsets. Really stupid in
    my opinion, but stuff happens. You have a pile of boxes and worse yet
    the expensive to tool plastic case sitting around, and the manufacturer
    orphans the chip. So you just make a new version with the same markings.

    I have also seen this with Sabrent cards.
    miso, Jun 10, 2012
  7. Jaypie

    VanguardLH Guest

    miso wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Never get hardware updates from Microsoft. Use them only as a prompt to
    >> visit the hardware maker's own web site to check on which update is
    >> application to YOUR hardware. Microsoft's Windows Update site way too
    >> often mis-detects your hardware and offers the wrong driver. If the
    >> driver's author finds a problem with the program, it takes a long time
    >> for them to get it off the WU site but the change is immediate on their
    >> own web site.

    > That is how I use windows update, i.e. just for notices. It kept trying
    > to upload a SIIG driver that I knew was a problem, so from that point on
    > I figured better to avoid their advice. The problem was SIIG made a
    > device with the same name but two different chipsets. Really stupid in
    > my opinion, but stuff happens. You have a pile of boxes and worse yet
    > the expensive to tool plastic case sitting around, and the manufacturer
    > orphans the chip. So you just make a new version with the same markings.
    >
    > I have also seen this with Sabrent cards.

    I still remember the fiasco with the WU site pushing an updated driver
    for a Promise controller card (too many years to remember which one it
    was). In this case, WU detected the correct hardware (because there
    were only a few models all of which were in the same product family and
    could use the same driver) and offered the driver that Promise gave to
    Microsoft to deliver from the WU site. Turned out there was a defect in
    that driver what caused data loss on the connected hard disks and
    reported via their forums. Promise immediately removed the driver from
    their web site to replace it with a fixed version. I believe this was
    over a 2 week period of users issuing reports and Promise fixing their
    corruptive driver. Yet it took Promise over 2 MONTHS to get Microsoft
    to remove the defective driver from being offered by their WU site. So
    Promise users were getting screwed up by a bad driver despite a new and
    fixed one was available to anyone that visited the Promise site.

    I've even had the WU site detect the WRONG hardware. I had a SCSI
    controller which WU detected but offered a driver for the entire family
    of products within that line. However, that product family had a split
    due to differences in hardware design where one branch required one
    driver and the other branch required a different driver and you could
    not use one driver from one branch with the hardware in the other
    branch. WU didn't understand that subtle difference and would offer the
    wrong driver (since more users had the latter hardware design than the
    earlier one). WU offered the wrong driver for my Zoom analog data/fax
    modem which had 3 different chipsets within the same model number.

    WU also offered me the wrong driver for the SATARAID chip on my old Abit
    NF7-S v2 motherboard. The result was that after a reboot that the OS
    could no longer see any of the SATA-attached hard disks. Luckily I had
    an image backup just a day or two before and recovered the state of my
    OS partition back to that image and all was working again. Then I went
    to the Silicon Image web site to get the correct latest driver.

    While hardware drivers are not considered critical updates so they don't
    get pushed if you have WU configured for automatic download and install
    of updates, many users still visit the WU site to check and get updates.
    When they see there is a new driver they figure they just must have it
    despite that their hardware is functioning okay. I don't how often the
    suggestion is to download and install the latest video card driver to
    fix a problem only to have the user encounter different problems, not
    resolve their problem (since they didn't check if the later version
    actually addressed their problem), or cause even more severe problems.
    For example, the latest driver for my old ATI x850 AGP video card is NOT
    the best driver. Why? Because newer versions eventually drop support
    for older software, so eventually newer versions will no longer support
    old games. Only by trial and error of installing through many versions
    can you figure out which version is the best for YOUR setup. In my
    case, they offered Catalyst 10.2 as the latest version but testing
    proved 9.3.1 was the best version for best use with my software. Also,
    the full-blown software package included their Catalyst Control Center
    which was of no value to me. All I needed was the driver, not the
    fluff.

    Way too many users update their drivers when nothing is broke. If they
    are having a problem with the current version, they don't bother reading
    the release notes for the new version to see if it actually addresses
    their problem. They are just shotgunning around hoping a change fixes
    the problem (without knowing what new problems will occur) and could
    make the situation even worse. They also provide no escape route to
    recover in case the newer driver makes it impossible to even load the
    operating system.
    VanguardLH, Jun 10, 2012
  8. Jaypie

    miso Guest

    They also provide no escape route to
    > recover in case the newer driver makes it impossible to even load the
    > operating system.

    I never used the windows rollback feature, but in theory you could do
    that to undo the driver update.

    I used to work in modem chip design. All the vendors had multiple
    designs ready to fly. They would use this to beat you down on price, or
    just change designs if there is a supply problem. In the free market,
    this is perfectly legal. I don't think you could even regulate this crap
    if you wanted. The chip vendors themselves make minor tweaks to the same
    part number.
    miso, Jun 12, 2012
  9. Jaypie

    VanguardLH Guest

    miso wrote:

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> They also provide no escape route to recover in case the newer driver
    >> makes it impossible to even load the operating system.

    > I never used the windows rollback feature, but in theory you could do
    > that to undo the driver update.

    But if the OS won't load, how are you going to use it to run a utility
    that it provides?
    VanguardLH, Jun 12, 2012