    WGA is first running.

    (Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)

    Anyone able to clarify matters?

    Ragnar, Jul 13, 2007

  2. Ragnar

    nsag Guest

    According to the EULA you do not own your copy of XP you merely license it
    from Microsoft.
    Microsoft reserves the "right" to do anything it wants to do.
    Microsoft now insists on repetitively installing the ever changing
    validation tool with any and every update.
    That's the way it is in Redmond.
    The issue of license vs ownership and the validity of the EULA in general
    has not been completely tested in court. However the prevailing sentiment
    of most judges, who have all the qualifications of our glorious Supreme
    Court judges/ambulance chasers, tends to favor the businesses that bought
    and paid for their judgeships.
    Hence you must obey Microsoft or you get no updates and go to bed hungry.
    nsag, Jul 13, 2007

  3. Ragnar

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Ragnar" <> wrote:

    >I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
    >whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears (following
    >the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool. Since this is
    >Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However there seems to be no
    >way to bypass this stage of the update process. You either install WGA or
    >quit the process.
    >
    >The only reasons I can think of for this are
    >1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the only one
    >that appears.
    >2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded unless
    >WGA is first running.
    >
    >(Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)
    >
    >Anyone able to clarify matters?

    Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
    do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
    install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
    want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
    bypass the WGA this way.
    Steve, Jul 13, 2007
  4. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Ragnar" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
    >> whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears
    >> (following the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool.
    >> Since this is Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However
    >> there seems to be no way to bypass this stage of the update process.
    >> You either install WGA or quit the process.
    >>
    >> The only reasons I can think of for this are
    >> 1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the
    >> only one that appears.
    >> 2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded
    >> unless WGA is first running.
    >>
    >> (Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)
    >>
    >> Anyone able to clarify matters?

    > Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
    > do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
    > install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
    > want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
    > bypass the WGA this way.

    Thanks Steve. That worked.

    Ragnar, Jul 13, 2007
  5. Ragnar

    Travis Guest

    On Jul 13, 2:37 pm, "Ragnar" <> wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    > > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Ragnar" <> wrote:

    > >> I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
    > >> whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears
    > >> (following the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool.
    > >> Since this is Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However
    > >> there seems to be no way to bypass this stage of the update process.
    > >> You either install WGA or quit the process.

    > >> The only reasons I can think of for this are
    > >> 1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the
    > >> only one that appears.
    > >> 2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded
    > >> unless WGA is first running.

    > >> (Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)

    > >> Anyone able to clarify matters?

    > > Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
    > > do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
    > > install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
    > > want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
    > > bypass the WGA this way.

    > Thanks Steve. That worked.

    Just install WGA, it's not spyware. You own a genuine copy of Windows
    XP like I do so there aren't any problems, unless your using an
    illegal serial number an don't want their systems to check it.
    Travis, Jul 17, 2007
  6. Ragnar

    Boscoe Guest

    "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 13, 2:37 pm, "Ragnar" <> wrote:
    >> Steve wrote:

    >> > Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
    >> > do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
    >> > install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
    >> > want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
    >> > bypass the WGA this way.

    >> Thanks Steve. That worked.

    > Just install WGA, it's not spyware. You own a genuine copy of Windows
    > XP like I do so there aren't any problems, unless your using an
    > illegal serial number an don't want their systems to check it.

    IMHO WGA is spyware and it checks every time you boot up, sending back
    unspecified data to Microsoft. A few months ago a tool, called RemoveWGA
    appeared on the Internet. This only deleted the Notification component, so
    you could continue to download critical updates, but Microsoft took
    exception and many of the sites carrying the utility were pressurised to
    remove it. But 'removewga' is still out there and it is not illegal to
    use.
    Boscoe, Jul 17, 2007
  7. Ragnar

    Travis Guest

    You can remove it if you want, although I have to say that no, it
    isn't spyware or anything. What is so private that you don't want send
    to Microsoft? It's not like they are getting lists of sites you
    visited or anything, unspecified is: Your Computer Model, or OEM, your
    serial number(s), your OS version, updates installed and their
    versions, Microsoft software you have installed, Microsoft associates
    that have software on your system, your HD space, your RAM size, your
    PAGE File size, partitions on your disk (and their sizes), The time,
    your timezone, your date, the last time you've modified your control
    panel, if you've uninstalled Microsoft software, the status of WGA's
    installation (if it's partial), devices on your system, drivers you
    have for devices, Microsoft drivers you have (and their versions), the
    sizes of your system files that are some how related to serial
    number(s), authorization or modification of your internet settings,
    your HOSTS file, Microsoft office serial numbers (included above),
    your office updates, WGA values in registry and other Microsoft anti-
    piracy software values in registry, your username, computer
    description, workgroup, IP address, and registration info (Maybe your
    full name, but you don't have to enter a surname)

    I don't think any of that is "private classified information", it's
    part of your system. What NSAG said, you license your copy and they
    can access your serials (from their products only) as they own them.
    Sure, I bet a lot of that stuff up there is incompletely unnecessary
    and irrelevant to piracy and activation but it's still not private.

    Travis, Jul 19, 2007