    it. My computer is find at the moment, so if it aint broke...

    Thanks for your help

    John

    John, Oct 24, 2004

  2. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in news:cufmn0pm0q9gq5i39tk8opffjb8pjkkdjj@
    4ax.com:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I just wondered how I run off automatic Windows Updating? I have an
    > icon in my system tray that keeps downloading stuff and asking me if I
    > want to install SP2 now.
    >
    > I've heard a lot of bad things about SP2 so I don't particularly want
    > it. My computer is find at the moment, so if it aint broke...
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > John

    I didn't have a problem installing SP2 on XP on both my machines. I don't
    think you're going to have a problem. I didn't back up the computers
    either, but you may want to do that if you can before you proceed if you
    decide to implement SP2.

    You can always just disable the Windows Update service and it will not
    notify about any updates. And then you can go to the Windows Update site
    and do the check yourself.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 24, 2004

  3. John

    Fred Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > I didn't have a problem installing SP2 on XP on both my machines.

    I hope you didn't.

    > I don't think you're going to have a problem.

    oh. I expected you to think you're going to have a problem.

    > I didn't back up the computers either, but you may want to do that if
    > you can before you proceed if you decide to implement SP2.

    Do you ever get the feeling that people are trying to fit you up for a
    coffin?

    > You can always just disable the Windows Update service and it will not
    > notify about any updates.

    Can you think of a specific example?

    > And then you can go to the Windows Update site and do the check
    > yourself.

    Which way is the Windows Update site and do the check myself?

    > Duane :)

    Have you had your urinary incontinence seen to yet?

    Fred, Oct 24, 2004
  4. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Oct 24, 2004
  5. John

    JD Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > John <> wrote in news:cufmn0pm0q9gq5i39tk8opffjb8pjkkdjj@
    > 4ax.com:
    >

    >>Hi.
    >>
    >>I just wondered how I run off automatic Windows Updating? I have an
    >>icon in my system tray that keeps downloading stuff and asking me if I
    >>want to install SP2 now.
    >>
    >>I've heard a lot of bad things about SP2 so I don't particularly want
    >>it. My computer is find at the moment, so if it aint broke...
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help
    >>
    >>John
    >>

    > I didn't have a problem installing SP2 on XP on both my machines. I don't
    > think you're going to have a problem. I didn't back up the computers
    > either, but you may want to do that if you can before you proceed if you
    > decide to implement SP2.
    >
    > You can always just disable the Windows Update service and it will not
    > notify about any updates. And then you can go to the Windows Update site
    > and do the check yourself.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I did have a problem installing SP2 it slowed the pc down something
    terrible and broke the disk defragmenter .. removing sp2 did not solve
    the problem .. Its all down to the software cocktail installed on your
    computer if software you have installed is using an older file that sp2
    replaces or outdates then you could have problems .. do back up your
    data .. but SP2 is a very very important update you should install it ..
    I should add however that i have installed SP2 on more than 20 pc's and
    only 1 had a problem (that i know of)..

    JD, Oct 25, 2004
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:27:35 GMT, A strange species called Duane
    Arnold <> wrote:

    >John <> wrote in news:cufmn0pm0q9gq5i39tk8opffjb8pjkkdjj@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I just wondered how I run off automatic Windows Updating? I have an
    >> icon in my system tray that keeps downloading stuff and asking me if I
    >> want to install SP2 now.
    >>
    >> I've heard a lot of bad things about SP2 so I don't particularly want
    >> it. My computer is find at the moment, so if it aint broke...
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >I didn't have a problem installing SP2 on XP on both my machines. I don't
    >think you're going to have a problem. I didn't back up the computers
    >either, but you may want to do that if you can before you proceed if you
    >decide to implement SP2.
    >
    >You can always just disable the Windows Update service and it will not
    >notify about any updates. And then you can go to the Windows Update site
    >and do the check yourself.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Duane

    How exactly do I disable it? left or right click the taskbar icon
    brings up an install screen. Clicking Windows Update in Programs takes
    you to the website.

    Tar

    John

    John, Oct 27, 2004
  7. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:27:35 GMT, A strange species called Duane
    > Arnold <> wrote:
    >
    >>John <> wrote in
    >>news:cufmn0pm0q9gq5i39tk8opffjb8pjkkdjj@ 4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I just wondered how I run off automatic Windows Updating? I have an
    >>> icon in my system tray that keeps downloading stuff and asking me if
    >>> I want to install SP2 now.
    >>>
    >>> I've heard a lot of bad things about SP2 so I don't particularly
    >>> want it. My computer is find at the moment, so if it aint broke...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >>I didn't have a problem installing SP2 on XP on both my machines. I
    >>don't think you're going to have a problem. I didn't back up the
    >>computers either, but you may want to do that if you can before you
    >>proceed if you decide to implement SP2.
    >>
    >>You can always just disable the Windows Update service and it will not
    >>notify about any updates. And then you can go to the Windows Update
    >>site and do the check yourself.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > Duane
    >
    > How exactly do I disable it? left or right click the taskbar icon
    > brings up an install screen. Clicking Windows Update in Programs takes
    > you to the website.
    >
    > Tar
    >
    > John

    You go to Start Button/Control Panel *Switch to Classic View* Automatic
    Updates.

    I am no longer on SP1. But as I recall, that's where you go to disable
    it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 27, 2004
  8. John

    Thor Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > John <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:27:35 GMT, A strange species called Duane
    >> Arnold <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>John <> wrote in
    >>>news:cufmn0pm0q9gq5i39tk8opffjb8pjkkdjj@ 4ax.com:

    >>>I didn't have a problem installing SP2 on XP on both my machines. I
    >>>don't think you're going to have a problem. I didn't back up the
    >>>computers either, but you may want to do that if you can before you
    >>>proceed if you decide to implement SP2.
    >>>
    >>>You can always just disable the Windows Update service and it will not
    >>>notify about any updates. And then you can go to the Windows Update
    >>>site and do the check yourself.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >> Duane
    >>
    >> How exactly do I disable it? left or right click the taskbar icon
    >> brings up an install screen. Clicking Windows Update in Programs takes
    >> you to the website.
    >>
    >> Tar
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > You go to Start Button/Control Panel *Switch to Classic View* Automatic
    > Updates.
    >
    > I am no longer on SP1. But as I recall, that's where you go to disable
    > it.

    You can also change windows auto-update settings by right-clicking "my
    computer" and choose "properties" then click the "automatic updates" tab.

    Thor, Oct 27, 2004
  9. John

    Nascar24Rulz Guest

    SP 2 corrupted the drive in my laptop..had to format and reload. Anyway, there
    is a tool download on microsofts webpage to temp prevent your comp from
    dloading sp 2. email me directly and i'll be glad to send you that link

    Nascar24Rulz, Oct 31, 2004