    thing. How can I get it to either start the download or close, I'm getting
    tired of the Icon just sitting there on 0%.
    BTW, I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1 on both machines.
    The Ancient One, Sep 19, 2004

  2. The Ancient One

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The Ancient One wrote:

    > About a week ago the little Windows update icon appeared in my taskbar.
    > Mouseover it says "Downloading updates 0%"
    > It has not changed from that for a week now, clicking on it does nothing,
    > right clicking it does nothing, rebooting does nothing, it's still there,
    > even tried Task manager but it doesn't seem to list it, active or
    > inactive. To make it worse, I have two computers and they are both doing
    > the same thing. How can I get it to either start the download or close,
    > I'm getting tired of the Icon just sitting there on 0%.
    > BTW, I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1 on both machines.

    I don't know what the problem is but you can always go to the the Windows
    Update Center off of Start Button/Programs and do the scan and implement
    any updates, which should make the Update Icon go away since you did the
    update manually.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 20, 2004

  3. The Ancient One

    Thor Guest

    "The Ancient One" <> wrote in message
    > About a week ago the little Windows update icon appeared in my taskbar.
    > Mouseover it says "Downloading updates 0%"
    > It has not changed from that for a week now, clicking on it does nothing,
    > right clicking it does nothing, rebooting does nothing, it's still there,
    > even tried Task manager but it doesn't seem to list it, active or
    > inactive.
    > To make it worse, I have two computers and they are both doing the same
    > thing. How can I get it to either start the download or close, I'm getting
    > tired of the Icon just sitting there on 0%.
    > BTW, I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1 on both machines.

    I ve seen this too recently. Nearest I can tell from doing a hell of alot of
    research on it (and I am by no means 100% certain), is that MS is doing
    something to the auto-update in order to parcel out the SP2 update slowly,
    to a limited number of people at a time, rather than allowing everyone's
    auto-update to grab it at the same time. It will probably eventually pick up
    and start downloading.
    Thor, Sep 20, 2004
  4. The Ancient One

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Sep 20, 2004
  5. The Ancient One

    L;ozT Guest

    Taking control of how Windows updates would solve the problem. Add and
    configure the Automatic Updates Administrative Template in Group policy
    editor, and configure it to suit.

    Click Start - then Run - then type 'GPedit.msc' (without quotes). In Group
    Policy editor, under 'local computer policy', under 'Computer
    configuration', right click 'Administrative Templates' and choose
    'Add/Remove Templates'. Then click 'Add', and from the explorer window
    select 'wuau.adm' (located in %systemroot%/inf - default should put you
    here), and choose open to add it to your existing list of administrative
    templates, then click 'close'.

    That done, expand the 'Administrative Templates' folder, and the 'Windows
    Components' folder, and double click the 'Windows Update' folder (which
    should have appeared by adding the template - above). This will give you 4
    options in the right hand pane. Go through the options and choose carefully
    for what is appropriate for yourself. Option 2 (Specify intranet microsoft
    etc....) is handy if you have a network of any size, if configured with
    SUSUpdates, will allow much greater control, but for a single PC I would
    probably leave that option unconfigured.

    Hope this didn't bore you!

    Cheers

    L;ozT...............

    L;ozT, Sep 21, 2004
  6. "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "The Ancient One" <> wrote in message
    > > About a week ago the little Windows update icon appeared in my taskbar.
    > > Mouseover it says "Downloading updates 0%"
    > > It has not changed from that for a week now, clicking on it does

    nothing,
    > > right clicking it does nothing, rebooting does nothing, it's still

    there,
    > > even tried Task manager but it doesn't seem to list it, active or
    > > inactive.
    > > To make it worse, I have two computers and they are both doing the same
    > > thing. How can I get it to either start the download or close, I'm

    getting
    > > tired of the Icon just sitting there on 0%.
    > > BTW, I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP1 on both machines.

    > I ve seen this too recently. Nearest I can tell from doing a hell of alot

    of
    > research on it (and I am by no means 100% certain), is that MS is doing
    > something to the auto-update in order to parcel out the SP2 update slowly,
    > to a limited number of people at a time, rather than allowing everyone's
    > auto-update to grab it at the same time. It will probably eventually pick

    up
    > and start downloading.

    All right, one computer has finally started downloading, about 1% per day so
    far. Gotta love dialup. ;-) Thanks to all.
    The Ancient One, Oct 1, 2004