    -------

    Kyote.sends("Greetings");
    ___________________________

    kyote, Feb 27, 2004

  2. kyote

    Thor Guest

    Its totally normal for the windows update site to periodically initiate an
    update of the software that the site uses to detemine what updates you need.
    If you want to use the update site effectively, you should allow the update
    of the scanning software to occur.

    Thor, Feb 27, 2004

  3. kyote

    kyote Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:10:45 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >Its totally normal for the windows update site to periodically initiate an
    >update of the software that the site uses to detemine what updates you need.
    >If you want to use the update site effectively, you should allow the update
    >of the scanning software to occur.

    Even with an outdated certificate? outdated by a year?

    kyote, Feb 27, 2004
  4. kyote <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I always retrieve all updates from the windows update site. Well, I
    > just went there to see if there were any critical updates and I got
    > the popup that comes to install the latest scanning engine for
    > checking to be sure you have the latest updates. Now, like I said, I
    > always get all the updates, so I was wondering why my scan software
    > needed updated as if i had never gotten an update on a freshly
    > restored machine.... I looked at the date on the 'Certificate' and it
    > was over a year old. Normally I might not be to worried about it, but
    > I've been getting ALOT, 4 or 5 a day, of e-mail with attached virus's
    > in the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I right to
    > have denied this new scanning program from being installed?
    > TIA
    > -------
    >
    > Kyote.sends("Greetings");
    > ___________________________

    Have the same problem,you think is a update but is not is worm.i don't
    know where they come from.MY norton is working perfect so maybe the
    whole thing will pass bye.
    Just deleted them.
    greetings

    http://users.pandora.be/nik_vansevenant/doorsawake[2].HTML

    Nik Vansevenant, Feb 27, 2004
  5. kyote

    Thor Guest

    As far as I know It's only "outdated" if internet explorer pops up and tells
    you that the certificate has "expired", based on it's digital signature and
    how it is registered with the author. Otherwise, it doesn't necessarily have
    to have a recent date on the certificate. If you are certain that you are on
    the actual windows update website, and not some imitation site meant to
    deceive you, then it's most likely a legitemate certificate. Are you getting
    an "expired" message or are you merely concerned with the date? Also, you
    can get bogus "expired" certificate warnings if your own browser is out of
    date or not functioning properly for authenticating digitally signed
    controls.

    Thor, Feb 27, 2004
  6. kyote

    kyote Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:13:40 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >As far as I know It's only "outdated" if internet explorer pops up and tells
    >you that the certificate has "expired", based on it's digital signature and
    >how it is registered with the author. Otherwise, it doesn't necessarily have
    >to have a recent date on the certificate. If you are certain that you are on
    >the actual windows update website, and not some imitation site meant to
    >deceive you, then it's most likely a legitemate certificate. Are you getting
    >an "expired" message or are you merely concerned with the date? Also, you
    >can get bogus "expired" certificate warnings if your own browser is out of
    >date or not functioning properly for authenticating digitally signed
    >controls.

    When it pops up it shows the date the control was signed, which was
    last year. Something like that anyway. I did accept it, finally. No
    immediate problems and Norton hasn't noticed anything. lol
    paranoia.... I don't even know why I'm worried. I don't have anything
    that important on here. :) God Bless you and thanks for the advice.

    kyote, Mar 1, 2004