    works well.

    WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS

    Thanks!!!

    Earl Brant, Sep 7, 2003

  2. Earl Brant

    trout Guest

    Earl Brant wrote:

    > Using OS XP Home Edition
    >
    > Windows Update is suggesting I update my Modem Driver.
    >
    > Does the ole' computer addage...'if it works don't fix it" apply in
    > my case?
    >
    > Previously Windows Update suggested I udpate my Video Driver...I did
    > and all works well.
    >
    > WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    My *opinion*? I regularly check for updates, but do not install one
    unless it: a) fixes something that doesn't work; b) let's me do
    something that I couldn't, before; or c) improves security/fixes a
    vulnerability.
    --
    "And, at that; I usually wait a week or so, to see if anybody says it's
    buggered them up."

    trout, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Earl Brant

    Mike0000 Guest

    I turn them down. In fact I've seen windowsupdate change my video
    driver to an older version. Sure, the older version was "signed" by MS
    (for all the good that will do), but it hurt 3D performance.

    You are completely right to take a conservative approach on updating
    drivers. The only time I would consider it if there was a known issue,
    even then the manufacturer or OEM probably has a better driver waiting
    for you.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike0000, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Earl Brant

    Owdio Guest

    Never use Windows update for any peripheral drivers.
    I learned that the hard way.
    Always use the manufacturers site and even then, I always hold off a while
    and see if anyone posts problems.
    Having said that, I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    --
    Owdio

    Owdio, Sep 7, 2003