    But System Restore will not work on any date, I just keep getting
    messages saying it did not restore.

    Can anybody help? Please?

    julie j, Feb 17, 2007

  2. julie j

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "julie j" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I noticed that Windows Update hadn't updated since December 1 and when
    > I tried to update, it wouldn't. There was no error message, all I keep
    > getting is something saying it needs to register and download
    > something to enable updates, but it just keeps doing that over and
    > again.
    >
    > Realising that the Dec 1 update had caused issues with Active X (I get
    > messages saying it is disabled when I try to click the yellow
    > favourites star on a post in Google Groups, but it is not disabled) I
    > decided to System Restore back to before Dec 1.
    >
    > But System Restore will not work on any date, I just keep getting
    > messages saying it did not restore.
    >
    > Can anybody help? Please?

    Do you know how to check Internet Security settings?
    That's where Active X script settings are adjusted.
    Most likely why you're stuck in a loop.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 17, 2007

  3. julie j

    Enkidu Guest

    julie j wrote:
    > I noticed that Windows Update hadn't updated since December 1 and when
    > I tried to update, it wouldn't. There was no error message, all I keep
    > getting is something saying it needs to register and download
    > something to enable updates, but it just keeps doing that over and
    > again.
    >
    > Realising that the Dec 1 update had caused issues with Active X (I get
    > messages saying it is disabled when I try to click the yellow
    > favourites star on a post in Google Groups, but it is not disabled) I
    > decided to System Restore back to before Dec 1.
    >
    > But System Restore will not work on any date, I just keep getting
    > messages saying it did not restore.
    >
    > Can anybody help? Please?

    Clear out your IE cache - Tools, Internet Options and delete all content
    and cookies. It may work...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 17, 2007
  4. julie j

    julie j Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Do you know how to check Internet Security settings?
    > That's where Active X script settings are adjusted.
    > Most likely why you're stuck in a loop.

    I'm certainly in some kind of loop. Whenever I try to load the
    updates, I get this message:

    > Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

    > Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

    And it goes through some registration process, taking me back to the
    "express download" and "custom download" page, which always takes me
    back for the "files required etc..." message.

    I reset all the Active X controls and it had no effect. I set security
    to default and it had no effect.

    This problem began with the December 1 Automatic Update, it has not
    updated since, and now System Restore will not let me restore to
    before that date.

    julie j, Feb 17, 2007
  5. julie j

    impossible Guest

    "julie j" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know how to check Internet Security settings?
    >> That's where Active X script settings are adjusted.
    >> Most likely why you're stuck in a loop.

    > I'm certainly in some kind of loop. Whenever I try to load the
    > updates, I get this message:
    >

    >> Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
    >> installed on your computer. To continue:

    >> Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

    > And it goes through some registration process, taking me back to
    > the
    > "express download" and "custom download" page, which always takes me
    > back for the "files required etc..." message.
    >
    > I reset all the Active X controls and it had no effect. I set
    > security
    > to default and it had no effect.
    >
    > This problem began with the December 1 Automatic Update, it has not
    > updated since, and now System Restore will not let me restore to
    > before that date.

    You have some registry corruption. If you Google the rror message you
    receive, you'll find that others have had this same problem. The most
    common solution you can try is this one.

    Go Start | Run... and then enter each of the following commands in
    succession:

    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll

    These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    running each command, you should get a messgae saying the registration
    process was successful. Assuming this all works, then try running
    Windows Update again.

    impossible, Feb 17, 2007
  6. julie j

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "julie j" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you know how to check Internet Security settings?
    >>> That's where Active X script settings are adjusted.
    >>> Most likely why you're stuck in a loop.

    >> I'm certainly in some kind of loop. Whenever I try to load the
    >> updates, I get this message:
    >>

    >>> Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
    >>> installed on your computer. To continue:
    >>> Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

    >> And it goes through some registration process, taking me back to
    >> the
    >> "express download" and "custom download" page, which always takes me
    >> back for the "files required etc..." message.
    >>
    >> I reset all the Active X controls and it had no effect. I set
    >> security
    >> to default and it had no effect.
    >>
    >> This problem began with the December 1 Automatic Update, it has not
    >> updated since, and now System Restore will not let me restore to
    >> before that date.
    >>

    > You have some registry corruption. If you Google the rror message you
    > receive, you'll find that others have had this same problem. The most
    > common solution you can try is this one.
    >
    > Go Start | Run... and then enter each of the following commands in
    > succession:
    >
    > regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    > regsvr32 wups.dll
    > regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    > regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    > regsvr32 atl.dll
    > regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    >
    > These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    > running each command, you should get a messgae saying the registration
    > process was successful. Assuming this all works, then try running
    > Windows Update again.

    ....and clear out your IE temporary files via Tools->Internet Options

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 17, 2007
  7. julie j

    julie j Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    > running each command, you should get a messgae saying the registration
    > process was successful. Assuming this all works, then try running
    > Windows Update again

    Bless you, kind person.

    I entered the commands you gave, and now mountains of updates are
    downloading.

    Thank you very very much.

    julie j, Feb 17, 2007
  8. julie j

    julie j Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > ...and clear out your IE temporary files via Tools->Internet Options

    Yes, I did that too, thanks.

    julie j, Feb 17, 2007
  9. Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 18, 2007
  10. julie j

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:24:59 -0500, impossible wrote:

    > "julie j" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you know how to check Internet Security settings?
    >>> That's where Active X script settings are adjusted.
    >>> Most likely why you're stuck in a loop.

    >> I'm certainly in some kind of loop. Whenever I try to load the
    >> updates, I get this message:
    >>

    >>> Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
    >>> installed on your computer. To continue:

    >>> Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

    >> And it goes through some registration process, taking me back to
    >> the
    >> "express download" and "custom download" page, which always takes me
    >> back for the "files required etc..." message.
    >>
    >> I reset all the Active X controls and it had no effect. I set
    >> security
    >> to default and it had no effect.
    >>
    >> This problem began with the December 1 Automatic Update, it has not
    >> updated since, and now System Restore will not let me restore to
    >> before that date.
    >>

    > You have some registry corruption. If you Google the rror message you
    > receive, you'll find that others have had this same problem. The most
    > common solution you can try is this one.
    >
    > Go Start | Run... and then enter each of the following commands in
    > succession:
    >
    > regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    > regsvr32 wups.dll
    > regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    > regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    > regsvr32 atl.dll
    > regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    >
    > These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    > running each command, you should get a messgae saying the registration
    > process was successful. Assuming this all works, then try running
    > Windows Update again.

    Wot no GUI ???
    If this was linux Biggles and Fred Dagg would be jumping all over it.
    ;-)

    Earl Grey, Feb 18, 2007
  11. julie j

    Biggles Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:20:08 +1300, Earl Grey wrote:

    >> You have some registry corruption. If you Google the rror message you
    >> receive, you'll find that others have had this same problem. The most
    >> common solution you can try is this one.
    >>

    >> These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    >> running each command, you should get a messgae saying the registration
    >> process was successful. Assuming this all works, then try running
    >> Windows Update again.

    > Wot no GUI ???
    > If this was linux Biggles and Fred Dagg would be jumping all over it.
    > ;-)

    I think you should take your own advice and grow up .. or at least teach
    cupa how to use linux ...

    Biggles.

    Biggles, Feb 18, 2007
  12. julie j

    julie j Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    > running each command, you should get a messgae saying the registration
    > process was successful. Assuming this all works, then try running
    > Windows Update again

    Thank you again.

    It all worked, and has removed a variety of bugs that had come into
    being with that blasted December 1 Windows Update.

    It's also given me IE 7!!!! A new toy to play with.

    julie j, Feb 18, 2007
  13. julie j

    Max Burke Guest

    > Earl Grey scribbled:

    >> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:24:59 -0500, impossible wrote:
    >> You have some registry corruption. If you Google the rror message
    >> you receive, you'll find that others have had this same problem.
    >> The most common solution you can try is this one.
    >> Go Start | Run... and then enter each of the following commands in
    >> succession:
    >> regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    >> regsvr32 wups.dll
    >> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    >> regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    >> regsvr32 atl.dll
    >> regsvr32 msxml3.dll

    >> These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    >> running each command, you should get a messgae saying the
    >> registration process was successful. Assuming this all works, then
    >> try running Windows Update again.

    > Wot no GUI ???

    Yes Earl, it IS using the GUI.

    > If this was linux Biggles and Fred Dagg would be jumping all over it.
    > ;-)

    They dont have to, because these commands are entered using the GUI when
    clicking start/run and typing the command.
    Of course they can also be entered from the command line, but they dont have
    to be....

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Feb 18, 2007
  14. julie j

    Earl Grey Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:49:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Earl Grey scribbled:

    >>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:24:59 -0500, impossible wrote:
    >>> You have some registry corruption. If you Google the rror message
    >>> you receive, you'll find that others have had this same problem.
    >>> The most common solution you can try is this one.
    >>> Go Start | Run... and then enter each of the following commands in
    >>> succession:
    >>> regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    >>> regsvr32 wups.dll
    >>> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    >>> regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    >>> regsvr32 atl.dll
    >>> regsvr32 msxml3.dll

    >>> These commands re-register the Windows Update files you need. After
    >>> running each command, you should get a messgae saying the
    >>> registration process was successful. Assuming this all works, then
    >>> try running Windows Update again.

    >> Wot no GUI ???

    > Yes Earl, it IS using the GUI.
    >
    >> If this was linux Biggles and Fred Dagg would be jumping all over it.
    >> ;-)

    > They dont have to, because these commands are entered using the GUI when
    > clicking start/run and typing the command.
    > Of course they can also be entered from the command line, but they dont have
    > to be....

    Can't you just use the mouse ?

    Earl Grey, Feb 18, 2007
  15. On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:49:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Wot no GUI ???

    > Yes Earl, it IS using the GUI.

    Lets face it - M$ Windows does not have any means of entering text based
    commands using any type of a console that does not of itself also require
    the use of the GUI.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 18, 2007
  16. julie j

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-18, Earl Grey <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:49:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >>> Earl Grey scribbled:

    >>> Wot no GUI ???

    >> Yes Earl, it IS using the GUI.
    >>
    >>> If this was linux Biggles and Fred Dagg would be jumping all over it.
    >>> ;-)

    >> They dont have to, because these commands are entered using the GUI when
    >> clicking start/run and typing the command.
    >> Of course they can also be entered from the command line, but they dont have
    >> to be....

    > Can't you just use the mouse ?

    you can use just the mouse.

    start-acce4ssories-system_tools-command_line (or wherever it hides)
    (I usually do start-run "cmd")

    using the mouse copy the commands above and paste them to the command
    window

    :^)

    Bye.
    Jasen