  1. Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
    Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
    Microsoft requires?
    William W. Plummer, Aug 3, 2004

  2. William W. Plummer

    lurker Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
    > Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
    > Microsoft requires?

    You mean the "upgrade" of features that lessen Mozilla's security that Internet
    Explorer has built-in?
    lurker, Aug 3, 2004

  3. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla? Can't
    > Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that Microsoft
    > requires?

    I believe the problem is that Mozilla doesn't run ActiveX. No, Mozilla
    is not going to be upgraded to use the security flawed MS code. If you
    like IE, use it. Don't ask for Mozilla to become the crap IE is.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    .BRIAN., Aug 3, 2004
  4. ..BRIAN. wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
    >> Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
    >> Microsoft requires?

    > I believe the problem is that Mozilla doesn't run ActiveX. No, Mozilla
    > is not going to be upgraded to use the security flawed MS code. If you
    > like IE, use it. Don't ask for Mozilla to become the crap IE is.

    OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes code
    supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled? Is there a way
    around that or does Mozilla simply not execute remotely supplied code?
    William W. Plummer, Aug 3, 2004
  5. William W. Plummer

    Grinder Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
    >>> Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
    >>> Microsoft requires?

    >> I believe the problem is that Mozilla doesn't run ActiveX. No,
    >> Mozilla is not going to be upgraded to use the security flawed MS
    >> code. If you like IE, use it. Don't ask for Mozilla to become the
    >> crap IE is.
    >>

    > OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes code
    > supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled?

    That's mostly correct. The big thing with ActiveX is that it has no
    "sandbox" to execute within.

    > Is there a way
    > around that or does Mozilla simply not
    > execute remotely supplied code?

    Mozilla will execute Java code because it has a secure environment -- a
    sandbox, that is.
    Grinder, Aug 3, 2004
  6. William W. Plummer

    Tony Raven Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes code
    > supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled? Is there a way
    > around that or does Mozilla simply not execute remotely supplied code?

    Mozilla's executes XPInstall. Arguably worse than ActiveX in security
    terms. Several of the loopholes to uncontrolled remote site install
    have been blocked
    (http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4997) but do you
    really know who has written that extension you loaded and what their
    intentions are? At least you can set the trust level at which ActiveX
    runs - the problem is that most people don't but then they put the same
    level of trust in xpi writers too.

    FWIW there is a Mozilla ActiveX extension available but not for FF at
    the moment:
    http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Tony Raven wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >

    >> OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes
    >> code supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled? Is there a
    >> way around that or does Mozilla simply not execute remotely supplied
    >> code?

    > Mozilla's executes XPInstall. Arguably worse than ActiveX in security
    > terms. Several of the loopholes to uncontrolled remote site install
    > have been blocked
    > (http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4997) but do you
    > really know who has written that extension you loaded and what their
    > intentions are? At least you can set the trust level at which ActiveX
    > runs - the problem is that most people don't but then they put the same
    > level of trust in xpi writers too.
    >
    > FWIW there is a Mozilla ActiveX extension available but not for FF at
    > the moment:
    > http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
    >
    > Tony

    Still won't get you into Windows Update.

    Think about it, Microspft Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer. Windows
    update will NEVER run in Mozilla, no matter what. MS won't allow it.

    You can use Mozilla to download all the updates separately though.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Aug 4, 2004