    Well, I put the update site as trusted, turned security pretty much 'off',
    and still no updates.

    Which makes me think: Can you update the Trial Win-64bit OS?
    =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Make sure you are using the 32-bit edition of IE. The site uses a 32-bit
    ActiveX control.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Duncan, in respect to x64, can you not perform Critical Updates "without"
    establishing an ISP connection?

    All previous OS versions would run and install Critical Updates before ever
    establishing an ISP setup connection. Hence, no need for worrying about
    security setting and/or intruders, period. Reason for inquiring, have not yet
    installed x64.
    --
    Firewall

    =?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Under 32 bit IE, I get a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot
    display the requested page."

    Under 64 bit IE, it asks me to load something from MS, I say "Yes", but then
    is goes no further....nothing seems to happen for a long while and then says
    "The website has encountered an error and cannot proceed. A slightly
    different message.

    I have set IE (both versions) such that that the update site is trusted and
    have set security as low as it can go.

    I am curious if I am even able to this 64 bit trial version. I have the
    Trial version of WinXP_Pro_64-bit, build 3790, Service pack 1. v 1218.
    =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=, Dec 31, 2005
  5. And where do I find these critical updates if I am not connnected to the
    Internet?

    =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=, Dec 31, 2005
  6. Hello Duncan,
    The same location as always; click Start, then All Programs, then about the
    third or forth entry from top left (All Programs) articles there you find
    Windows Update, just click once. If Update dones not begin running locate
    Windows Update within the IE6 Tool Bar, click and presto... Perform the
    standard update selection FIRST, then re-boot and perform Custom Update,
    frequently Win will install missing drivers using Custom. If your OS is
    connected to cable, DSL or land line that's all you need for obtaining ALL
    Win Updates; same is true with updating all Norton applications.

    Nothing but safe and secure because Windows automatically generates a Log
    File of all activities while downloading, including any un-wanted intruders.
    However, don't know if Norton generates Log File but kinda think they do the
    same as Windows.

    The above is an experience learned secondary to hackers and whackers
    intruding my OS while performing / downloading Updates on a fresh OS install.

    Apologize for the delayed response, been offline.
    --
    Firewall

    =?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=, Dec 31, 2005
  7. Firewall--->

    Using your method of going to the Windows Update page or the toolbar in IE
    is what I have been doing all along.

    No matter which way i go, I get the same "lack of update" messages.

    With security all the way off, Firewall disabled, nothing happens to update
    the Trial Version of WinXP_Pro_64bit Edition I am testing out.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=, Dec 31, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    A possible cause could be the Nvidia firewall if you're using a NF4
    motherboard. Install then uninstall the firewall, note the update response.
    Another cause would be if the trial version being used is a beta build.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 31, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Rick Guest

    Perhaps you might expound on your observation below.

    How can you download Critical Updates without an ISP connection?

    Although I have been playing with the internet for over 20 years, I have
    yet to accomplish anything on it without first establishing an ISP
    connection!

    Rick, Dec 31, 2005
  10. My memory may be short, but '1218'. . .that was no Trial, surely? That was
    the Beta and that one did not support any updating, so your options are
    limited to installing the real Trial or buying the OEM, I'm affraid.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 1, 2006
  11. Tony said you are using a BETA product and he's correct, if you can't
    update, thats just the result of using a beta. The final RTM release is
    1830, download the real trial software here since you are running
    non-supported software.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 1, 2006
  12. Hello Rick,

    Apologize for the delayed response, been offline. Our Internet experience is
    somewhat similar.

    Although, it's not an "observation". It is a learned experience. Amazing
    what new technology accomplishes.

    About three posts before your inquiry post, the information you are seeking
    was provided to (I think Duncan). You will never know until trying new things.

    Additionally, Google Earth (including free download) will run without using
    ISP connection.

    Each new day many new things do I learn.

    Firewall

    =?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=, Jan 1, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Rick Guest

    Well, you have confirmed you are not fully informed about the operation
    of the internet.

    You must have a IP address assigned to you to be able to use the internet.

    If you don't obtain an IP from some ISP, you will never do anything on
    the internet!

    It just like have house numbers, if you don't have a home address, mail
    cannot find you!

    You may not be aware that you have been assigned an IP address by some
    ISP, but if you are cruising the internet, you have an IP address that
    has been assigned some ISP - even if you're doing wireless at McDonald's!

    Rick, Jan 1, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Rick Guest

    Go read this about how the internet works:

    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm

    Hopefully you will acquire some useful knowledge in the process.

    Rick, Jan 1, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Rick Guest

    I guess you think you're accessing the internet without an ISP because
    you're on Comcast cable in Bedford, TX.

    Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but even though you are using a cable
    connection, you are connected through an ISP - Comcast is your ISP!

    Saying that you can access the internet without an ISP connection is
    like saying you can make telephone calls without a telephone connection.
    You have to have a connection, whether it is land line, wireless, or
    VOIP. You cannot make a telephone call without a connection! And, you
    cannot acquire information from the internet without an ISP connection!

    Rick, Jan 1, 2006
  16. Rick,
    Serious question, when you first establish your ISP connection does the
    initial Setup application automatically connect / dial to your ISP? Or, do
    you manually connect / dial an _un-known_ Setup location before you first
    establish an ISP account?

    Have no desire for being facetious but not certain for how articulating your
    deficient technical lack of knowledge. Perhaps the timeless adage serves
    best; you can lead a horse to water but you can not force the horse to drink.

    MS Tech Support provided me the information for performing Windows Update
    without ever establishing an ISP connection. There is an enormous difference
    between Microsoft land-line Tech Support vs. “howstuffworks†!

    You might first consider authentic self-education before making bad-mannered
    condemnations. The most reliable source for Microsoft OS and MSN technical
    information is Microsoft and the MVPs. Also, MSN has been my ISP for many
    years, although, cable access is secondary, having more than one ISP can
    provide benefits un-known for you; also, Houston is quite a distance from
    Bedford, if not using fiber optics.

    The older I get the more I know and will continue until death arrives.

    --
    Firewall

    =?Utf-8?B?RmlyZVdhbGwy?=, Jan 1, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Rick Guest

    If you truly believe you can access anything on the internet without
    establishing a connect via some ISP, then you are a prime candidate for
    buying the ocean front property in Arizona; and I'll even throw through
    Brooklyn bridge in free!!!!

    If you don't have a connection, you cannot, and will not, access the
    internet; just like any electrical device will not work unless it is
    connected to an electrical source.

    Rick, Jan 1, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29tcGdlZWs=?=, Jan 1, 2006
  19. That's all you said! what if you use static IP's? those you don't have to
    beassigned by the ISP! yes, u need an ip address to connect, but what if you
    save web pages and transport them? or connect to another computer by an ad
    hoc network in which you request the "serving computer"? there are ways to
    surf the internet without connecting to an ISP

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29tcGdlZWs=?=, Jan 1, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?RHVuY2Fu?=

    Rick Guest

    If you're a Computer Geek, then you, of all people, should know full
    well that you have to have an ISP connection to access the internet.
    Offline files are not accessing the internet, but you had to have an
    internet connection to get those files and save them to use them offline.

    No matter how you try to rationalize your statement, it still remains an
    absolute fact, just like the laws of nature, that you cannot access the
    internet with out an ISP connection somewhere in your chain of
    connections! Whether your IP address is static or dynamic has
    absolutely no bearing on reality! You have to have an ISP connection to
    get that IP address!

    Rick, Jan 1, 2006