Windows Update: is there a pilot ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Patrick Raffin, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. From IE, look at the Windows Update Catalogue for Windows 2003 Server for
    Itanium with SP1:

    - in English
    ...for Datacenter: 1 critical fix (898715) + 4 non critical fixes: RMS and
    Client for RMS, both present twice !
    ...for Enterprise: 10 critical fixes, all dating before SP1 + 4 non critical
    ...for Standard: same
    ...for Server: 11 critical (same as Datacenter + Enterprise) + 0 non
    critical; but what is Server if not Datacenter nor Enterprise nor Standard,
    when there is no Web edition ?

    -in French and German:
    ...for Datacenter, 1 critical fix + 0 non critical
    ...for Enterprise: 10 + 0
    ...for Standard: same
    ...for Server: 11 critical + 0 non critical; but what is Server ?

    Please explain what category to use, I'm lost !
    After all, this was meant to ease life for Admins, wasn't it ?

    Thank you,
    Patrick Raffin

    Patrick Raffin, Jun 10, 2005

  2. If you check your Help About dialogue in Windows, it should tell you which
    version and edition of Windows client or server you are running. In your
    case, it could not be Datacenter, updates for that OS are supplied by the
    manufacturer of the Server. Is there an option to an express update?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 10, 2005

  3. Thanks for answering, but :
    I wrote "Windows Update Catalogue", not just "Windows Update" ...
    This allows an admin (it checks that you are an admin !) to download fixes
    for any version of Windows, any language, any edition.
    And in my case it may also be Datacenter, in a test lab ;-)

    Patrick

    de news: ...

    Patrick Raffin, Jun 10, 2005
  4. It may, have you at least filtered down the problem to which edition of the
    OS you might be using? Thats why I said go to help about so I can know which
    version and edition of the OS you are using. Open My Computer > click "Help"
    > "About Windows" and tell me what it says on the banner. If its Datacenter

    then its up to the manufacturer of that Server to supply you with any
    critical updates.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 10, 2005
  5. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

    > It may, have you at least filtered down the problem to which edition of the
    > OS you might be using? Thats why I said go to help about so I can know which
    > version and edition of the OS you are using. Open My Computer > click "Help"
    > > "About Windows" and tell me what it says on the banner. If its Datacenter

    > then its up to the manufacturer of that Server to supply you with any
    > critical updates.
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >

    > "Patrick Raffin" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for answering, but :
    > > I wrote "Windows Update Catalogue", not just "Windows Update" ...
    > > This allows an admin (it checks that you are an admin !) to download fixes
    > > for any version of Windows, any language, any edition.
    > > And in my case it may also be Datacenter, in a test lab ;-)
    > >
    > > Patrick
    > >
    > > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> a écrit dans le
    > > message de news: ...
    > >> If you check your Help About dialogue in Windows, it should tell you
    > >> which version and edition of Windows client or server you are running. In
    > >> your case, it could not be Datacenter, updates for that OS are supplied
    > >> by the manufacturer of the Server. Is there an option to an express
    > >> update?
    > >> --
    > >> Andre
    > >>
    > >> "Patrick Raffin" <> wrote in message

    The fact that you mention "Standard" and "Web" editions seem to indicate
    that you might have been looking at x64 products, and not IA64 ; this link
    only shows ENT & DTC
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/ipf/default.mspx
    Also XP Pro is no longer updated for IA64 platforms.

    Vive la différence !

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Patrick Raffin

    Rick Guest

    There are updates for Win XP IA64. I posted a link yesterday that had
    the Windows Installer 3.1 update and IA64 was one of the choices on the
    page!

    Rick, Jun 10, 2005
  7. I was confused by his post. :-s

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2005