Windows update is acting weird.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Aug 11, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    It's now 11 august 2011 and it's 3:30 am in the morning.

    Windows 7 Ultimate edition is producing pop-ups saying "windows update
    available" it does this more frequently.

    However it's also showing another pop-up which I haven't seen before:

    "Windows will be shutdown in 14 minutes to apply updates" and so forth...

    There is also a "postpone" button.

    It does not allow me to postpone forever... only 10 minutes, 1 hour or 4
    hours ?!?

    I have never seen this before in any version of Windows... so this is kinda
    new and weird to me ?!?

    1. It either feels as if this is an emergency update and that windows
    machines on the internet are under attack and Microsoft wants to rush out a
    fix.

    or

    2. It's some kind of virus or windows update is hacked on Microsoft side or
    perhaps my PC side... it's kinda weird... windowsupdate.microsoft.com gives
    a "diagnose connection problem" screen.

    Is windowsupdate.microsoft.com still available from windows 7 or not I
    wonder ? It doesn't seem like it but I could be wrong.

    3. Or its's just Microsoft being extremely pushy when it comes to updates...
    windows live is also nagging about updates. Microsoft seems to be a bit
    update horny... I am not sure if I like it ;) :) I only want critical fixes
    to protect my system... but not something which will lag make system or
    damage anything else.

    For now I am just trying to get some information about what's going on...

    The weird thing is I can also not go back into the "windows update
    screen/functionality"... it seems to be unavailable from the tray icon...

    I shall click it again then I can see the message more clearly... I shall
    simply post a screenshot so you can see it with your own eyes,

    Here goes:

    http://www.skybuck.org/WindowsCrap/WeirdUpdatePopUp.png

    But in case the screenshot gets deleted I shall still put/type the text
    herE:

    "Windows Update

    Restart your computer to finisshing installing important updates

    Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using
    them.

    Make sure to save your files before starting

    Remind me in | 10 minutes |

    | Restart now | Postpone |
    "

    Even copy & paste was a bit weird in ms paint... undo-ing a previous paste
    makes pasting a copied part impossible but can be done from other ms paint
    program... and then re-copy and then suddenly paint does become possible
    again.

    So in short windows 7 has many many many many many small little issue's and
    you windows 7 developers really need to look at a whole lot of little
    things... unfortunately you probably have no idea what I am writing about
    unless you used windows xp and windows 7 a lot yourself.

    Perhaps that's the problem... perhaps many new programmers at Microsoft who
    have never used windows 98 or windows xp... and only windows vista or so...
    that would suck.

    My medicine: make them use windows xp for a year or so... that'll teach em !
    ;) :)

    Then they will start noticing many little problems with windows 7 and it's
    software like ms paint and ms live mail !

    I doubt these issue's are fixed in service pack 1, which is not yet
    installed ! ;) (Heard bad things about it ! ;) definetly don't want to make
    the situation worse so far it's ok/acceptable/speedy)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 11, 2011

  2. Hmm according to many websites it's apperently a know annoyance with Windows
    Vista/7 one website even claimed XP but I have never seen it in XP ;) but
    then I used to have windows update off ;)

    It indeed seems to be somewhat annoying I told it to postpone 1 hour... but
    it seemed to pop-up already... so it's a bit of a nag screen.

    Another website wrote that it will force a countdown after the postpone ?!?
    That would be quite nasty !

    For now it's not much of a problem for me since I am not in any serious
    work, but I might be... so it's still kinda shitty.

    Perhaps I'll do a reboot and see what happens just to get rid of it. Some
    have had problems with it returning.

    Yesterdat the system seemed to do an update during the shutdown, maybe that
    has something to do with it.

    I am kinda surprised that it's nagging today ?!?

    It did an update just yesterday ?!?

    So I have this feeling that something weird is going on...

    Maybe it's a bug which was caused by the last update yesterday ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 11, 2011

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Rob Guest

    On 11/08/2011 03:02, Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Hmm according to many websites it's apperently a know annoyance with
    > Windows Vista/7 one website even claimed XP but I have never seen it in
    > XP ;) but then I used to have windows update off ;)
    >
    > It indeed seems to be somewhat annoying I told it to postpone 1 hour...
    > but it seemed to pop-up already... so it's a bit of a nag screen.
    >
    > Another website wrote that it will force a countdown after the postpone
    > ?!? That would be quite nasty !
    >
    > For now it's not much of a problem for me since I am not in any serious
    > work, but I might be... so it's still kinda shitty.
    >
    > Perhaps I'll do a reboot and see what happens just to get rid of it.
    > Some have had problems with it returning.
    >
    > Yesterdat the system seemed to do an update during the shutdown, maybe
    > that has something to do with it.
    >
    > I am kinda surprised that it's nagging today ?!?
    >
    > It did an update just yesterday ?!?
    >
    > So I have this feeling that something weird is going on...
    >
    > Maybe it's a bug which was caused by the last update yesterday ?!
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    Yes, XP does this with some critical updates, too. Bit annoying
    sometimes, but no show-stopper - just change the way you do updates -
    download them automatically and only apply them manually when you
    don't need the PC for a few minutes. Easy-peasy.
    --
    Rob
    Rob, Aug 11, 2011