    i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!

    Cheers
    Gaz(novice)

    gary, Oct 18, 2004

  2. gary

    samuel Guest

    "gary" <> wrote in
    news:cl18hb$jdb$:

    > Hi
    > I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it
    > takes 40 mins.
    > After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website,
    > it takes
    > ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light
    > up & bring the site, like a minute!
    > I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to
    > know how!!
    >
    > My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
    > Used 1.10 GB
    > Free 918 MB
    >
    > Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78%
    > free!, do i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running
    > slow!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gaz(novice)

    very tiny hard drive not much free space
    and your memory is 78% freed up thats good

    read mikes site
    Basic computer maintenance

    samuel, Oct 18, 2004

  3. gary

    philo Guest

    "gary" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
    > mins.
    > After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it takes
    > ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up &
    > bring
    > the site, like a minute!
    > I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
    > how!!
    >
    > My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
    > Used 1.10 GB
    > Free 918 MB
    >
    > Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78% free!,
    > do
    > i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gaz(novice)

    free space on your drive does not have anything to do with performance
    (unless the drive is almost totally full)
    the windows updates usually are security related and do not generally
    have anything to do with performance

    to get better performance
    you can run msconfig and take unneeded apps out of statup...
    also defrag your harddrive

    philo, Oct 18, 2004
  4. "gary" <> wrote...
    > Hi
    > I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
    > mins.
    > After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it takes
    > ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up &

    bring
    > the site, like a minute!
    > I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
    > how!!
    >
    > My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
    > Used 1.10 GB
    > Free 918 MB
    >
    > Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78% free!,

    do
    > i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!

    WTF OS are you running on 1GB? Sheesh I have an OLD laptop P111-500 with
    10GB (4 years old) and another with 3GB (P150)

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 19, 2004
  5. gary

    gary Guest

    Hi
    I ran msconfig & changed the settings to start as normal as apposed to
    the custom settings & the 3 boxes clicked at the bottom.
    What does this do, changing to normal startup settings, i see no obvious
    changes!
    Cheers
    Gaz

    gary, Oct 19, 2004
  6. gary

    gary Guest

    WTF is OS
    I just need my pc for email & internet, nothing else, no
    fancy programmes & games, very simple!
    gaz

    gary, Oct 19, 2004
  7. gary

    samuel Guest

    "gary" <> wrote

    > WTF is OS
    > I just need my pc for email & internet, nothing
    > else, no
    > fancy programmes & games, very simple!
    > gaz

    > Use.Netuser.de <> wrote in

    ...cut..

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/

    read mikes site
    Basic computer maintenance

    HTH

    samuel, Oct 20, 2004
  8. gary

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:41:22 +0100 "gary"
    used 33 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >WTF is OS

    WTF is WTF?

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email