Windows update doesn't work (as well as update for defender)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ed, May 13, 2007.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Hi,

    I'm running Windows XP64 Pro on a computer with the following specs:

    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs),
    ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM

    Motherboard is an ASUS M2N-E.

    Not only can I not update windows defender (I get error code
    0x80240022), but I cannot update windows xp, cannot get service pack 2
    or the security updates. When I try to update through update page on
    microsoft.com, it sits at the box, preparing to download and nothing
    happens. This problem only started two days ago. I've checked for
    viruses and spyware and there are none.

    The microsoft knowledgebase doesn't seem to have an article about this
    particular error.

    I'd appreciate any suggestions. Please keep it in simple terms
    because I'm not a techie.

    Ed
    Ed, May 13, 2007

  2. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On May 12, 6:47 pm, Ed <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP64 Pro on a computer with the following specs:
    >
    > BIOS: Default System BIOS
    > Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs),
    > ~2.4GHz
    > Memory: 2046MB RAM
    >
    > Motherboard is an ASUS M2N-E.
    >
    > Not only can I not update windows defender (I get error code
    > 0x80240022), but I cannot update windows xp, cannot get service pack 2
    > or the security updates. When I try to update through update page on
    > microsoft.com, it sits at the box, preparing to download and nothing
    > happens. This problem only started two days ago. I've checked for
    > viruses and spyware and there are none.
    >
    > The microsoft knowledgebase doesn't seem to have an article about this
    > particular error.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions. Please keep it in simple terms
    > because I'm not a techie.
    >
    > Ed

    Okay here is a follow-up.

    I rebooted the computer with windows xp cd in the drive and did a
    repair installation. I DID NOT press R to get the recovery control
    panel, I just hit enter to run the installation and it looks for files
    that are missing and copies them from the cd.

    There is a good site with info about doing repair installations:

    I'm downloading and installing updates for windows and defender as I'm
    typing this.

    Ed
    Ed, May 13, 2007

  3. ...that's interesting, but if the Repair fails the Windows Update in the
    future, you can us this here from Microsoft...what a gem...
    -- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/320454

    ....scribble...scribble...scribble...

    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, May 17, 2007
  4. Ed

    Theo Guest

    Where do you find the one for 64-bit versions of Windows?
    Your link below specifies it is for "(32-bit x86)" which
    isn't much use for 64-bit x64!

    Theo, May 17, 2007
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On May 17, 2:14 am, umwhat <> wrote:
    > ..that's interesting, but if the Repair fails the Windows Update in the
    > future, you can us this here from Microsoft...what a gem...
    > --http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/320454
    >
    > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
    >

    > "Ed" wrote:
    > > On May 12, 6:47 pm, Ed <> wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > I'm running Windows XP64 Pro on a computer with the following specs:

    > > > BIOS: Default System BIOS
    > > > Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs),
    > > > ~2.4GHz
    > > > Memory: 2046MB RAM

    > > > Motherboard is an ASUS M2N-E.

    > > > Not only can I not update windows defender (I get error code
    > > > 0x80240022), but I cannot update windows xp, cannot get service pack 2
    > > > or the security updates. When I try to update through update page on
    > > > microsoft.com, it sits at the box, preparing to download and nothing
    > > > happens. This problem only started two days ago. I've checked for
    > > > viruses and spyware and there are none.

    > > > The microsoft knowledgebase doesn't seem to have an article about this
    > > > particular error.

    > > > I'd appreciate any suggestions. Please keep it in simple terms
    > > > because I'm not a techie.

    > > > Ed

    > > Okay here is a follow-up.

    > > I rebooted the computer with windows xp cd in the drive and did a
    > > repair installation. I DID NOT press R to get the recovery control
    > > panel, I just hit enter to run the installation and it looks for files
    > > that are missing and copies them from the cd.

    > > There is a good site with info about doing repair installations:

    > >http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    > > I'm downloading and installing updates for windows and defender as I'm
    > > typing this.

    > > Ed- Hide quoted text -

    Yeah I did run across that link, but I'm no techie so alot of that
    stuff made my eyes glaze over and I thought I'd try a simpler
    solution.
    Ed, May 19, 2007
  6. SYMPTOMS
    When you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft
    Update, you experience the following symptoms:

    • The Svchost.exe process that runs Windows Update stops responding.
    • You receive an access violation error. This access violation stops the
    Server service and the Workstation service.

    A known issue is out regarding Windows Update program in XP Pro, locking up
    the computer and the SVCHost.exe. In my case I had the memory error because
    the SVChost containing the wuauclt.exe (Windows Update Proram) was flat
    lining my Processor at 100. There is a fix out article 927891.

    Download the update for x64 XP and run it. The Windows defender may be a
    separte issue. I ran into that one when the beta version ended. Try
    Unistalling and reinstalling Defender from Microsoft.com. Good Luck

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VyZmluZ25ld3BvcnQ=?=, May 22, 2007
  7. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On May 22, 8:53 am, Surfingnewport
    <> wrote:
    > SYMPTOMS
    > When you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft
    > Update, you experience the following symptoms:
    >
    > · The Svchost.exe process that runs Windows Update stops responding.
    > · You receive an access violation error. This access violation stops the
    > Server service and the Workstation service.
    >
    > A known issue is out regarding Windows Update program in XP Pro, locking up
    > the computer and the SVCHost.exe. In my case I had the memory error because
    > the SVChost containing the wuauclt.exe (Windows Update Proram) was flat
    > lining my Processor at 100. There is a fix out article 927891.
    >
    > Download the update for x64 XP and run it. The Windows defender may be a
    > separte issue. I ran into that one when the beta version ended. Try
    > Unistalling and reinstalling Defender from Microsoft.com. Good Luck

    I know it's late but thanks for your reply. I did try to download the
    update and run it, but that didn't work either. I also uninstalled
    Defender. What I did that worked was a repair installation of XP. I
    mentioned it in my follow-up post above.
    Ed, Jun 17, 2007