    Len Miller
    --
    To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

    Fatfreek, Jun 4, 2006

  2. Fatfreek

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Fatfreek spewed forth:
    > I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
    > Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a
    > year ago that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something
    > within that window prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with
    > updates by using the Start button.
    >
    > Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers",
    > I completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and
    > installed a fresh copy. That didn't help.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions?
    >
    > Len Miller

    It's nothing serious. The former ISP did not do anything malicious to your
    PC. And it has nothing to do with the Windows Update.

    The Windows Update web site has changed from time to time. And the link on
    the start menu is probably wrong because of it. Does Windows Update run when
    you start it from within IE?

    As for the labeling of your IE, you can change that too. Here's a web page
    with a link for a small utility which can take care of it:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2006

  3. Fatfreek

    Respondant Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:p,
    > Fatfreek spewed forth:

    <snip>

    > As for the labeling of your IE, you can change that too. Here's a web
    > page with a link for a small utility which can take care of it:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

    Since SpywareBlaster is as highly regarded as AdAware and Spybot S&D are in
    this group, there's a chance the OP already has it installed.

    If so, there's a button under "Tools" in SpywareBlaster that reads, "Misc.
    IE Settings" which allows you to edit the text that appears after the site
    name in the IE title bar.

    Just thought I'd mention that as it seems a lot of folks are unaware of that
    extra little goody in SpywareBlaster.

    Respondant, Jun 4, 2006
  4. Fatfreek

    Fatfreek Guest

    --
    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:p,
    > Fatfreek spewed forth:
    > > I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
    > > Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a
    > > year ago that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something
    > > within that window prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with
    > > updates by using the Start button.
    > >
    > > Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers",
    > > I completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and
    > > installed a fresh copy. That didn't help.
    > >
    > > Do you have any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Len Miller

    > It's nothing serious. The former ISP did not do anything malicious to your
    > PC. And it has nothing to do with the Windows Update.
    >
    > The Windows Update web site has changed from time to time. And the link on
    > the start menu is probably wrong because of it. Does Windows Update run

    when
    > you start it from within IE?

    No, it opens the exact same page as when I click Start / Windows Update:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    I've proceeded thru the instructions on this page half dozen times -- but it
    continues to reappear.

    As an aside, this hasn't prevented me from updating. When I occasionally get
    that blue/green icon in my lower right tray, I hover with mouse cursor and
    see that it promises some update. I click and it happens. I can continue to
    hover with my mouse and get progress pct.

    Fatfreek, Jun 4, 2006
  5. Fatfreek

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-04, Fatfreek <> wrote:
    > I am using Win2K Pro and when I press the Start / Windows Update, an
    > Internet Explorer window opens that is titled Arkansas.Net. (Over a year ago
    > that was my dialup internet provider) Further, something within that window
    > prevents me, to this day, from proceeding with updates by using the Start
    > button.
    >
    > Just this morning, hoping to get rid of any Arkansas.net "leftovers", I
    > completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and downloaded and installed a
    > fresh copy. That didn't help.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions?
    >
    > Len Miller

    Go to Google and search for

    de-brand internet explorer

    for links to do with getting rid of the ISP's branding of that deprecated
    excuse for a web browser, if that bothers you.

    People who know more than I do about Windows may be able to help you with
    the 'Windows Update' problem, if you describe precisely what happens when
    you try to update your Windows. The precise text of any pages or error
    messages that appear, would probably be useful.

    If you want to show a 'screenshot' of what happens, upload the image to an
    image-hosting web site such as the free and no-registration
    <http://tinypic.com/> and put the URL for the image into a post here.
    Don't post an 'attachment' to this newsgroup, it is a text only group and
    many news-servers will drop any 'binary' articles - and people using
    dial-up to read newsgroups will not like having to pay for the bandwidth
    if their news-server doesn't drop the binary.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 4, 2006