    restore fail to get the machine working, and I don't fancy another full
    reinstall - anyone have any problems with the latest batch of updates? Any
    idea if there are particular ones that I might want to avoid?

    ivymike, Feb 13, 2008

  2. ivymike

    jcrevi Guest

    Hey,

    I had some problems as well this morning. There were about 11 updates for me
    to install. I have Home Premium, 32-bit.

    My PC would boot, but Windows had some problems:

    I couldn't access the internet; even though i could ping ip addresses and
    yahoo by name. Couldn't see Windows updates to uninstall the ones that caused
    this problem. After logon, Windows popped up a message saying something to
    the effect of: Windows could not connect/contact the System Event
    Notification Service, which could cause problems for Standard Users logging
    on the machine. (don't see how they're affiliated with each other, but
    whatever.)

    Anyway, a System Restore fixed everything and I'm currently installing the
    updates one-by-one to see which one(s) are the culprits.

    jcrevi, Feb 13, 2008

  3. ivymike

    jcrevi Guest

    Ok, so installing one-by-one might not be a good idea. The first update I
    tried to do just got stuck on stage 3 of 3 with 0% complete. Had to boot into
    safe mode and do another restore to get things back to normal.

    If you get on the 'Windows Update' discussion group, you'll find A LOT of
    posts about these recent updates.

    I don't think anyone is going to ask Microsoft to be their Valentine this
    year.

    I'm holding back on installing these updates and have set my windows updates
    to download, but not install.

    Good Luck,

    Jason

    jcrevi, Feb 13, 2008
  4. ivymike

    Kue2 Guest

    I guess everyone's experience will be different depending on the machine
    they are running.I installed all the updates yesterday without a hiccup.I'm
    using Vista Ultimate 64(no beta sp1 installed).

    Kue2, Feb 13, 2008
  5. I still got a couple of updates even with SP1 rtm installed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 14, 2008
  6. ivymike

    Alice R Guest

    Okay, maybe this is the latest Vista problem I'm having. I have it set to
    auto install (Vista 32-bit home premium) and after installation was told to
    reboot. God knows I tried, but the installs kept showing that a reboot was
    necessary and then the system began crashing. I did a system restore to
    before the install date and it seems to be okay, although the machine no
    longer boots down without a hard close (turning it off).
    --
    Alice R

    Alice R, Feb 23, 2008