    it - even tho udp 123 was open.)

    Im using a 3rd party app, Atomic clock to sync DC1 to the net - works a
    treat.

    Matthew Strickland, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Matthew Strickland

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <uW3Db.29256$>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > With 2 domain controllers (w2k), one with all the fsmo roles (called dc1),
    > does this machine need the windows time service running for the second
    > domain controller (dc2) to sync time with it?

    I think it can sync just like a workstation...
    net time /set \\dc2

    Trouble is, you'd normally run that in a logon script - so it may be
    that your dc1 machine isn't logged on that often, and therefore wouldn't
    sync often.

    > The service is currently disabled as it cannot sync from an external time
    > source (firewall restrictions I think) - I can set time manually on dc2
    > using net time command.
    >
    > Should I just enable the time service on dc1 and ignore ntp/no time server
    > logs? (Ive tried several time servers, im sure its our firewall blocking
    > it - even tho udp 123 was open.)
    >
    > Im using a 3rd party app, Atomic clock to sync DC1 to the net - works a
    > treat.

    Well I think you should learn and use the net time command to do the
    syncing, you might get dc1 setup then.
    This info might help, I logged these pages and info when documenting a
    client setup...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323621
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307937

    and (from eventid.net)
    The NTP server didn't respond...

    w32time
    Type Warning
    Description The NTP server did not respond
    Comments Ionut Marin (Last update 10/16/2003):
    See Q323621 for information about how to configure the Simple Network
    Time Protocol (SNTP) on ISA Server.

    Genevieve
    If your DC is behind a ISA server see ISA Server Forum link for
    solution.

    Chris Patten
    My server was behind a firewall and opening outbound port 123 for ntp
    solved the problem.

    Paul Rinear
    By default, the event log only records unsuccessful w32time events, not
    successful ones. Follow the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article Q307937 to turn on sucessful time set event logging. What you
    will notice after you do this is that your PDC w32time is actually
    successful more times than not at synchronizing with the external
    server. The situations where it is not successful probably occur due to
    slow remote server response.

    Adrian Grigorof
    This event usually occurs when there is not NTP (Network Time Protocol)
    server configured in the network. To see the currently configured time
    server use the following command:

    net time /querysntp

    If there is a time server configured, then there may be a firewall that
    stops the server reporting the error from conencting to the NTP server.

    Andreas Kriwanek
    I found this event on a new W2K Advanced Server which I set up as a root
    domain controller of a new forest. I tried several internet time
    servers, but I always got the same warning. I found two articles at
    microsoft: Q224799 (Basic Operation of the Windows Time Service) and
    Q216734 (How to configure an Authoritative Wwindows Time Server.
    I don't need a synchronisation with an external server, so I made two
    changes at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters:

    new value "ReliableTimeSource, REG_SZ,1" and
    alter value in "Type, REG_SZ, NoSync"

    and the warning disappears in the event log. I know, it's only a
    workaround.

    Bareface
    On some special cases, (if you host AD on computer paired with DNS) you
    may experience this error. It may be that the DNS service is not started
    at that time. This behaviour only occures when you specify a DNS name
    for net time /setsntp

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Thanks T-Boy,

    I do have a logon script, but you're right, dc2 isnt logged on at all. (Its
    a server, sitting lonely in a room by itself ) - However I *thought*
    servers, in active directory would have sync'd naturally? Just like AD does.
    It is in mixed-mode because there is also a 3rd server running (NT), but
    wouldnt have thought it would affect time sync between DC's.

    Ive been at that first page before and ive done those steps, no luck. Its
    just this firewall im sure. Its managed by telecom and I cant change or even
    view how its configured (in detail). Ive added an outbound udp 123 port (I
    shouldnt have to) but still didnt work.
    Ill have another few more go's getting it synced otherwise ill look at other
    options. (eg an AT command to sync time on dc2....)

    Matthew Strickland, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Matthew Strickland

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:42:02 +1300, "Matthew Strickland"
    <> wrote:

    >With 2 domain controllers (w2k), one with all the fsmo roles (called dc1),
    >does this machine need the windows time service running for the second
    >domain controller (dc2) to sync time with it?
    >The service is currently disabled as it cannot sync from an external time
    >source (firewall restrictions I think) - I can set time manually on dc2
    >using net time command.
    >
    >Should I just enable the time service on dc1 and ignore ntp/no time server
    >logs? (Ive tried several time servers, im sure its our firewall blocking
    >it - even tho udp 123 was open.)
    >
    >Im using a 3rd party app, Atomic clock to sync DC1 to the net - works a
    >treat.

    Hi Matthew. I'm not 100% sure, but as you say the DC with PDC Emulator
    role does act as the time server for the Domain. It still will be
    after going to native mode. I'm not sure if Windows uses the standard
    NTP port, but you could use something like SuperScan to scan it to see
    if it is listening on some port or other that SuperScan thinks is a
    time server port.

    My guess is that the service needs to be running.

    This might be useful:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;216734

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Matthew Strickland

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks T-Boy,
    >
    > I do have a logon script, but you're right, dc2 isnt logged on at all.

    (Its
    > a server, sitting lonely in a room by itself ) - However I *thought*
    > servers, in active directory would have sync'd naturally? Just like AD

    does.

    It does. If you enable the Win32Time service on DC2 you should begin to
    receive time updates from DC1 (assuming time service is running on DC1). Try
    typing net time at the command line on DC2 and if it's set properly you
    should get a reply saying "Current time at \\DC1 is xxx:xx:"

    Further info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224799
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;216734

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.
    Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Matthew Strickland

    Martin Hunt Guest

    BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
    They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

    ---
    Martin Hunt
    Systems Administrator
    Fairfax New Zealand Limited
    Wellington
    New Zealand

    Martin Hunt, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Matthew Strickland

    T.N.O. Guest

    Martin Hunt wrote:

    > BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
    > They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

    This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
    from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
    will turn up.

    T.N.O., Dec 16, 2003
  8. Matthew Strickland

    Martin Hunt Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:23:30 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Martin Hunt wrote:
    >
    >> BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
    >> They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

    >This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
    >from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
    >will turn up.

    There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
    I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.

    At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.

    ---

    Martin Hunt, Dec 17, 2003
  9. Matthew Strickland

    Martin Hunt Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:42:24 +1300, Martin Hunt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:23:30 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Martin Hunt wrote:
    >>
    >>> BTW: Does anyone know what has happened to the NTP servers at Massey?
    >>> They seem to have gone off air on Thursday night.

    >>This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
    >>from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
    >>will turn up.

    >There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
    >I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.
    >
    >At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.

    Actually, it seems to have come back again, after about a week off
    air.

    ---

    Martin Hunt, Dec 17, 2003
  10. Matthew Strickland

    Shannon Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:45:24 +1300, Martin Hunt
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:42:24 +1300, Martin Hunt
    ><> wrote:

    >>>This was discussed a while ago, I think it was starting to cost them
    >>>from memory... seach this group in groups.google.com and I'm sure it
    >>>will turn up.

    >>There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
    >>I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.
    >>
    >>At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.
    >>

    >Actually, it seems to have come back again, after about a week off
    >air.

    I checked the logs in our proxy and it's still sucessfully syncing, so
    it seems to be there at the moment. (9:51 am this morning)

    And in fact, the logs don't show an obivious ntp.massy.ac.nz
    dissappearing in the last few months.

    Many ISP's provide NTP though - I just wish ours did, and I wish there
    was a consistent name among ISP's. (Our ISP used to.)

    Shannon, Dec 18, 2003
  11. Matthew Strickland

    T.N.O. Guest

    Martin Hunt wrote:
    > There was discussion about Waikato going off-air a few months ago, but
    > I didn't realise Massey was going off, too.

    > At this rate we will run out of ntp servers soon.

    What about the nasa one?
    Maybe you should run one :)

    T.N.O., Dec 18, 2003