    the TEMP folder (from within DOS)?

    Thanks
    Roman
    r_mervart, Nov 26, 2003

  2. r_mervart

    KirstyH Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    news:yA6xb.7554$...
    > Windows 98SE. Is there any danger in a wholesale delete of all the

    files in
    > the TEMP folder (from within DOS)?

    AFAIK there is no problem with this. TEMP means temporary means can be
    deleted whenever. I have on several occassions deleted the entire
    contents of TEMP without any ill effects whilst in Windows. (except
    once when I forgot to close all programs first and deleted the temporary
    file of some program - I forgot which - which caused the program to
    display Very Nasty Messages at me)

    Kirsty
    KirstyH, Nov 26, 2003

  3. r_mervart

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, there is a danger. The Temp folder should *only* be emptied
    from within Windows, and *only* immediately after a reboot. This
    is because applications and setup routines store working files in
    the temp folder, and setup routines in particular, often need to
    finish their cleanup process after a reboot. It also ensures that
    you don't delete a temporary file that may be needed by an
    application that is currently running, with the possibility of loosing
    work.

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:48:24 -0000, in
    <yA6xb.7554$>
    r_mervart scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 26, 2003
  4. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, there is a danger. The Temp folder should *only* be emptied
    > from within Windows, and *only* immediately after a reboot. This
    > is because applications and setup routines store working files in
    > the temp folder, and setup routines in particular, often need to
    > finish their cleanup process after a reboot. It also ensures that
    > you don't delete a temporary file that may be needed by an
    > application that is currently running, with the possibility of loosing
    > work.

    OK. thanks. As far as your second point goes it seems that Windows would
    prevent me deleting a file that is currently being used. I tried one file
    and I got
    a warning message to that effect

    Roman
    r_mervart, Nov 28, 2003
  5. r_mervart

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:19:15 -0000, in
    <KwExb.819$>
    r_mervart scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, there is a danger. The Temp folder should *only* be emptied
    >> from within Windows, and *only* immediately after a reboot. This
    >> is because applications and setup routines store working files in
    >> the temp folder, and setup routines in particular, often need to
    >> finish their cleanup process after a reboot. It also ensures that
    >> you don't delete a temporary file that may be needed by an
    >> application that is currently running, with the possibility of loosing
    >> work.

    >OK. thanks. As far as your second point goes it seems that Windows would
    >prevent me deleting a file that is currently being used. I tried one file
    >and I got
    >a warning message to that effect
    >
    >Roman

    No, Windows will not always prevent you from deleting files.
    Some files are stored in the Temp folder for use *by* an
    application, without actually being 'in use'. Don't fall into
    the trap that, if you *can* delete it, it's safe!

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 28, 2003
  6. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > No, Windows will not always prevent you from deleting files.
    > Some files are stored in the Temp folder for use *by* an
    > application, without actually being 'in use'. Don't fall into
    > the trap that, if you *can* delete it, it's safe!

    ....but would that application not normally recreate those files it needs?
    I suppose I would find out and, as long as I have the original application
    software, I could always re-install it in the worst case?
    Roman
    r_mervart, Nov 29, 2003
  7. r_mervart

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:49:36 -0000, in
    <WJ%xb.1549$>
    r_mervart scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> No, Windows will not always prevent you from deleting files.
    >> Some files are stored in the Temp folder for use *by* an
    >> application, without actually being 'in use'. Don't fall into
    >> the trap that, if you *can* delete it, it's safe!

    >...but would that application not normally recreate those files
    >it needs? I suppose I would find out and, as long as I have
    >the original application software, I could always re-install it in
    >the worst case?
    >Roman

    <Sigh!> Most often, other than install/uninstall files, temporary
    files are "work" files. Once lost, the application cannot "recreate"
    them - it doesn't know how.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  8. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:49:36 -0000, in
    > <WJ%xb.1549$>
    > r_mervart scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> <Sigh!> Most often, other than install/uninstall files, temporary

    > files are "work" files. Once lost, the application cannot "recreate"
    > them - it doesn't know how.

    OK, thanks for your explanation and patience.
    Roman
    r_mervart, Nov 29, 2003
  9. r_mervart

    rose Guest

    I have been deleting it (and other files) at boot time for over a year
    in autoexec.bat, with no apparent problems. I boot daily (W98SE).
    BTW, does anyone know how I can do the equivalent of "tools,internet
    options,clear history" from autoexec.bat?

    rose, Nov 30, 2003