    of death" occasionally...

    3) any other advice on using "System File Checker"??

    Cory

    Cory Lechner, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Cory Lechner

    Kenny Guest

    Ignore any messages about "user.exe" and "setup.dll", this is a bug in Win98
    SFC. It's so long since I've done it not sure if it's maybe "user.dll" and
    "setup.exe".

    --

    Kenny

    "Cory Lechner" <> wrote in message
    > I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
    > occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
    > system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).
    >
    > 1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?
    >
    > 2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue

    screen

    Kenny, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Cory Lechner

    Thor Guest

    > I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
    > occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
    > system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).
    >
    > 1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?

    Unless you are having trouble with something, then I wouldn't automatically
    do that. SFC can sometimes flag legit files as corrupt, merely because they
    are newer versions not identified properly. This has happened with IE
    updates many times.

    > 2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue

    screen
    > of death" occasionally...

    If you think it may be related to the error, then yes you can try it, but
    always opt to back up the file you are replacing, and note it's location.

    Thor, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Cory Lechner

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:46:59 -0600, "Cory Lechner"
    <> wrote:

    >I have tried using the Windows 98 SE "System File Checker" and it
    >occasionally asks when scanning for altered files to restore corrupted
    >system files (e.g. *.dll's, etc.).
    >
    >1) Should I put in the Win 98 SE CD and let it do it's thing?
    >
    >2) Will this do any damage to my machine? It does give me the "blue screen
    >of death" occasionally...
    >
    >3) any other advice on using "System File Checker"??
    >
    >Cory

    Yes. Don't use it.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent