    know it's not the laptop. Other than that, there's only the one desktop that I'm
    getting the message on. Thanks.

    , Jul 31, 2006

  2. sittingduck Guest

    wrote:

    > What is this?
    >
    > Windows System Error: There is an IP conflict with another system on the
    > network.
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP Pro. While there is a wireless router hooked up for
    > occasional use with my laptop, the laptop is currently sitting in its
    > case, so I know it's not the laptop. Other than that, there's only the
    > one desktop that I'm getting the message on. Thanks.

    It means your computer's IP matches the IP of another computer or device on
    the network.

    sittingduck, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:25:42 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> What is this?
    >>
    >> Windows System Error: There is an IP conflict with another system on
    >> the network.
    >>
    >> I'm using Windows XP Pro. While there is a wireless router hooked up
    >> for occasional use with my laptop, the laptop is currently sitting
    >> in its case, so I know it's not the laptop. Other than that, there's
    >> only the one desktop that I'm getting the message on. Thanks.

    > It means pretty much what it says - there are two pieces of hardware
    > that have the same IP address trying to access the network. Change
    > one.

    He said there is only ONE computer hooked up to the router. That kind of
    narrows down the problem, doesn't it <g>! I'd suggest he be sure DHCP is
    turned on in the router, check the settings to be sure that the PCs can't be
    assigned the same IP as the router. Finally, he needs to be sure that his PC
    is set to get an IP from the router, not have a manually assigned one.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:15:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:25:42 -0400, wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is this?
    >>>
    >>> Windows System Error: There is an IP conflict with another system on
    >>> the network.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Windows XP Pro. While there is a wireless router hooked up
    >>> for occasional use with my laptop, the laptop is currently sitting
    >>> in its case, so I know it's not the laptop. Other than that, there's
    >>> only the one desktop that I'm getting the message on. Thanks.

    >> It means pretty much what it says - there are two pieces of hardware
    >> that have the same IP address trying to access the network. Change
    >> one.

    >He said there is only ONE computer hooked up to the router. That kind of
    >narrows down the problem, doesn't it <g>! I'd suggest he be sure DHCP is
    >turned on in the router, check the settings to be sure that the PCs can't be
    >assigned the same IP as the router. Finally, he needs to be sure that his PC
    >is set to get an IP from the router, not have a manually assigned one.

    Thanks Tim. Indeed, it's just the one computer. I bought the router last year,
    hooked it up, ran the software, and everythings been fine until the past few
    days, when I saw the error for the first time. I haven't changed any settings ot
    added any hardwae to the system in quite sometime. In fact, I haven't even used
    the laptop at home utilizing the wireless router in months. So I don't know what
    suddenly changed. I'll have to get the manual out for the router and see what
    that DHCP setting you refer to is.

    , Jul 31, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:15:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:

    >>> It means pretty much what it says - there are two pieces of hardware
    >>> that have the same IP address trying to access the network. Change
    >>> one.

    >> He said there is only ONE computer hooked up to the router. That
    >> kind of narrows down the problem, doesn't it <g>! I'd suggest he be
    >> sure DHCP is turned on in the router, check the settings to be sure
    >> that the PCs can't be assigned the same IP as the router. Finally,
    >> he needs to be sure that his PC is set to get an IP from the router,
    >> not have a manually assigned one.

    > I didn't say two computers, I said "two pieces of hardware." There's
    > a reason I said that. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've
    > seen someone set their router or their AP and their machine to the
    > same address.
    >
    > But hey, don't take my word for it.
    >
    > http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=443770&rl=1
    >
    > "After all, I just do it for a living."

    As "automated" as most routers are these days, I find it hard to imagine <g>

    Point of interest: my home network is small - seldom more than three
    systems. But I *do* have on set with a static IP in the router. Why? I run
    my desktop via remote control from my laptop. If the IP address in the
    desktop changes, I have to go look it up and change my remote software. Much
    simpler just to lock it down ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Mara wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:15:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> He said there is only ONE computer hooked up to the router. That
    >>> kind of narrows down the problem, doesn't it <g>! I'd suggest he be
    >>> sure DHCP is turned on in the router, check the settings to be sure
    >>> that the PCs can't be assigned the same IP as the router. Finally,
    >>> he needs to be sure that his PC is set to get an IP from the router,
    >>> not have a manually assigned one.

    >> I didn't say two computers, I said "two pieces of hardware." There's
    >> a reason I said that. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've
    >> seen someone set their router or their AP and their machine to the
    >> same address.
    >>
    >> But hey, don't take my word for it.
    >>
    >> http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=443770&rl=1
    >>
    >> "After all, I just do it for a living."

    > As "automated" as most routers are these days, I find it hard to
    > imagine <g>
    > Point of interest: my home network is small - seldom more than three
    > systems. But I *do* have on

    (That should be "one") <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:25:42 -0400, rfdjr1 wrote:

    > What is this?
    >
    > Windows System Error: There is an IP conflict with another system on the
    > network.
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP Pro. While there is a wireless router hooked up for
    > occasional use with my laptop, the laptop is currently sitting in its
    > case, so I know it's not the laptop. Other than that, there's only the one
    > desktop that I'm getting the message on. Thanks.

    Change you IP address.
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Mara Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:09:06 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:15:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> He said there is only ONE computer hooked up to the router. That
    >>> kind of narrows down the problem, doesn't it <g>! I'd suggest he be
    >>> sure DHCP is turned on in the router, check the settings to be sure
    >>> that the PCs can't be assigned the same IP as the router. Finally,
    >>> he needs to be sure that his PC is set to get an IP from the router,
    >>> not have a manually assigned one.

    >> I didn't say two computers, I said "two pieces of hardware." There's
    >> a reason I said that. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've
    >> seen someone set their router or their AP and their machine to the
    >> same address.
    >>
    >> But hey, don't take my word for it.
    >>
    >> http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=443770&rl=1
    >>
    >> "After all, I just do it for a living."

    >As "automated" as most routers are these days, I find it hard to imagine <g>

    You shouldn't. People can screw up their hardware in ways that boggle the mind,
    which leads to such statements as:

    "Yes, if you blow out your system with an air compressor instead of canned air
    you could unplug things." (said to Mister "I Know Computers.")

    "See that little knob that says 'volume?' Well, if you turn it all the way down
    you're not going to hear any sound."

    "The reason the printer says it's out of ink is because, oddly enough, it's out
    of ink."

    "You should turn it on if you want it to work."

    And on and on, without end.

    >Point of interest: my home network is small - seldom more than three
    >systems. But I *do* have on set with a static IP in the router. Why? I run
    >my desktop via remote control from my laptop. If the IP address in the
    >desktop changes, I have to go look it up and change my remote software. Much
    >simpler just to lock it down ;o)

    I don't bother with much on my home network (currently 5 home-builts, the laptop
    on wireless and two Apples.) I figure I get sick enough of it at work. It's up,
    it's as secure as I can make it, and it works. Since it's considerably more
    stable than the network at work, I leave things alone.

    After all, no one with any sanity left *wants* to do notworking. See sig.

    --
    To install WordBlurf 9.0 on a network, place the write-enabled installation
    diskette in drive A and type A:netinstall. WordBlurf 9.0 will install itself

    Mara, Jul 31, 2006
  9. Larry Crites Guest

    Since it's a wireless, somebody not in your house accessing your network and
    connection? Like hanging out in your neighborhood with a wireless laptop
    trying to break into wireless systems?

    Larry
    Behold Beware Believe

    Larry Crites, Jul 31, 2006
  10. wrote:

    > Thanks Tim. Indeed, it's just the one computer. I bought the router last
    > year, hooked it up, ran the software, and everythings been fine until the
    > past few days, when I saw the error for the first time. I haven't changed
    > any settings ot added any hardwae to the system in quite sometime. In
    > fact, I haven't even used the laptop at home utilizing the wireless router
    > in months. So I don't know what suddenly changed. I'll have to get the
    > manual out for the router and see what that DHCP setting you refer to is.

    Looks like someone in your neighborhood has discovered your wireless router
    and abuses the MAC address of your pc, so receives YOUR IP address.
    Which security measures did you take when setting up wireless?

    Walter Mautner, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-31, Walter Mautner <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    >> I'll have to get the
    >> manual out for the router and see what that DHCP setting you refer to is.

    "Children...matches"

    > Looks like someone in your neighborhood has discovered your wireless router
    > and abuses the MAC address of your pc, so receives YOUR IP address.
    > Which security measures did you take when setting up wireless?

    Not the one's described in any manual. :)

    --
    A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
    in than some that do. -- Dennis M. Ritchie

    Jimchip, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > What is this?
    >
    > Windows System Error: There is an IP conflict with another system on the
    > network.

    How simple do you want the error messages to be? They're at mouth breathing
    window licker level already.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 31, 2006
  13. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-31, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:19:31 -0000, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >>On 2006-07-31, Walter Mautner <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> Looks like someone in your neighborhood has discovered your wireless router
    >>> and abuses the MAC address of your pc, so receives YOUR IP address.
    >>> Which security measures did you take when setting up wireless?

    >>Not the one's described in any manual. :)

    > Probably WMTS. (Wishing Makes It So.)

    What does one do when a piggybacker clones your MAC address into their
    router? I've never run across that problem. What I would probably do is
    reset everything, use a different computer (Different MAC) to fire it
    all up as if it were a new install. That might even take a call to the
    ISP so they know about the change.

    Jimchip, Jul 31, 2006
  14. Toolman Tim Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > People can screw up their hardware in ways that boggle
    > the mind, which leads to such statements as:
    >
    > "Yes, if you blow out your system with an air compressor instead of
    > canned air you could unplug things." (said to Mister "I Know
    > Computers.")

    Would you believe I've done that? For real!

    Back when I worked out in the plant, they put a Compaq "luggable" PC out
    there for me to program a database that interfaced with an automated label
    printer on the production line. (You remember the original 4.77MHz Compaq?
    Well, it was one of those - monitor and drives built in, keyboard on a
    leash.) Well, the plant is rather dirty - wood dust, chemicals, etc. So the
    PC was getting overheated from the dust buildup. I opened the case and blew
    it out with the plant's high output air compressor, and blew the jumper
    blocks clean off the motherboard <g>! Took me HOURS to get the thing working
    again, since we had no manual to tell me what the jumpers were.

    Then there was the time I spilled coffee in the keyboard and fried the
    system...

    I still have that old beast.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2006
  15. Mara wrote:

    > You shouldn't. People can screw up their hardware in ways that boggle the
    > mind, which leads to such statements as:
    >
    > "Yes, if you blow out your system with an air compressor instead of canned
    > air you could unplug things." (said to Mister "I Know Computers.")

    Ah well. Some years ago we had to relocate about 50 computers from a office
    inmidst town, near a main street, to a almost rural building. Man, we used
    that occasion to blow out the accumulated oily smeary dust bunnies ... by
    means of a good old air compressor. Not only all the pcs withstood it, a
    old risc server and external raid housing did. We had to do it outside on a
    fire balcony, though, with good wind and all other windows closed on that
    side of the building :).

    > "See that little knob that says 'volume?' Well, if you turn it all the way
    > down you're not going to hear any sound."

    "Well, that's been a nice hint, since I was really buggered by that windows
    start sound. Btw., can you help make my conferencing software work again?"

    > "The reason the printer says it's out of ink is because, oddly enough,
    > it's out of ink."

    "Nay, look at my fingers and my t-shirt. It CANNOT be out of ink, I just
    shook the cartridge ...."

    > "You should turn it on if you want it to work."

    "Wonna make me feel stupid? I have only one mains socket here, and the
    coffee machine has precedence".

    Walter Mautner, Aug 1, 2006
  16. Jimchip wrote:

    > What does one do when a piggybacker clones your MAC address into their
    > router? I've never run across that problem. What I would probably do is
    > reset everything, use a different computer (Different MAC) to fire it
    > all up as if it were a new install. That might even take a call to the
    > ISP so they know about the change.

    I told about wireless (client side) mac cloning, to get over the "security"
    barrier introduced by (just) telling the router to only let dedicated MAC
    addresses in. Otherwise it would not even require the piggybacker to care
    about a mac address.
    Since MAC addresses don't pass a router, two equal mac's on the client side
    won't matter anyway, except the piggybacker lets his router take that one
    over, and their ISP is the same broadband provider ...

    Walter Mautner, Aug 1, 2006
  17. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-01, Walter Mautner <> wrote:
    > Mara wrote:

    [snip]

    >> "The reason the printer says it's out of ink is because, oddly enough,
    >> it's out of ink."
    >>

    > "Nay, look at my fingers and my t-shirt. It CANNOT be out of ink, I just
    > shook the cartridge ...."

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My choice for best of message :) LOL.

    Jimchip, Aug 1, 2006
  18. Toolman Tim Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 07:07:28 +0200, Walter Mautner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:

    >>> You shouldn't. People can screw up their hardware in ways that
    >>> boggle the mind, which leads to such statements as:
    >>>
    >>> "Yes, if you blow out your system with an air compressor instead of
    >>> canned air you could unplug things." (said to Mister "I Know
    >>> Computers.")
    >>>

    >> Ah well. Some years ago we had to relocate about 50 computers from a
    >> office inmidst town, near a main street, to a almost rural building.
    >> Man, we used that occasion to blow out the accumulated oily smeary
    >> dust bunnies ... by means of a good old air compressor. Not only all
    >> the pcs withstood it, a old risc server and external raid housing
    >> did. We had to do it outside on a fire balcony, though, with good
    >> wind and all other windows closed on that side of the building :).

    > He used a nice big compressor at full force, unseated his sound card,
    > and then called me because suddenly it didn't work. I told him to
    > reseat it after I got through laughing, which took some time.
    >
    >>> "See that little knob that says 'volume?' Well, if you turn it all
    >>> the way down you're not going to hear any sound."
    >>>

    >> "Well, that's been a nice hint, since I was really buggered by that
    >> windows start sound. Btw., can you help make my conferencing
    >> software work again?"

    > Sure. <clickety-click> What conferencing software?
    >
    >>> "The reason the printer says it's out of ink is because, oddly
    >>> enough, it's out of ink."
    >>>

    >> "Nay, look at my fingers and my t-shirt. It CANNOT be out of ink, I
    >> just shook the cartridge ...."

    > "Snorting toner won't make you smarter."

    Heh heh! Reminds me of one user (luser?) who was changing the Okidata laser
    toner cartridge. You probably know the kind: pull the tab, insert the
    refill, turn it to latch into place, right? Well, she removed the tab, then
    turned the lever on the refill tube, dumping the whole contents on the
    freakin' carpet. Black dust was EVERYWHERE. Then she tried to clean it up
    with a brush and dustpan, pushing it deeper into the carpet, followed by a
    rag and (get this:) hot water. To this day we have a file cabinet carefully
    positioned to cover the spot...

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2006
  19. Dan Evans Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > Heh heh! Reminds me of one user (luser?) who was changing the Okidata
    > laser toner cartridge. You probably know the kind: pull the tab, insert
    > the refill, turn it to latch into place, right? Well, she removed the tab,
    > then turned the lever on the refill tube, dumping the whole contents on
    > the freakin' carpet. Black dust was EVERYWHERE. Then she tried to clean it
    > up with a brush and dustpan, pushing it deeper into the carpet, followed
    > by a rag and (get this:) hot water. To this day we have a file cabinet
    > carefully positioned to cover the spot...

    Had a client **** around with a replacement OKI cartridge in the brand new,
    not yet officially opened office. Did the same with me hollering
    "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" right behind them.

    Parquet floor waiting to be varnished had to be replaced - perhaps if the
    cleaner hadn't got a mop out while I was looking for a magnet and a brush

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 2, 2006
  20. Toolman Tim Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Heh heh! Reminds me of one user (luser?) who was changing the Okidata
    >> laser toner cartridge. You probably know the kind: pull the tab,
    >> insert the refill, turn it to latch into place, right? Well, she
    >> removed the tab, then turned the lever on the refill tube, dumping
    >> the whole contents on the freakin' carpet. Black dust was
    >> EVERYWHERE. Then she tried to clean it up with a brush and dustpan,
    >> pushing it deeper into the carpet, followed by a rag and (get this:)
    >> hot water. To this day we have a file cabinet carefully positioned
    >> to cover the spot...

    > Had a client **** around with a replacement OKI cartridge in the
    > brand new, not yet officially opened office. Did the same with me
    > hollering "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" right behind them.
    >
    > Parquet floor waiting to be varnished had to be replaced - perhaps if
    > the cleaner hadn't got a mop out while I was looking for a magnet and
    > a brush ...

    Yup! Messy stuff when it gets hot or wet <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 2, 2006