    Should I be worried? What do I need to check and do in order to be sure that
    this is not the result of Malware, Spyware or a Virus?

    Thanks!

    Curt Peterson, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Curt Peterson

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Curt Peterson wrote:
    > Norton Internet Security 2008 is indicating the following:
    >
    > Realsched.exe made 57 modifications to Windows Startup
    >
    > AutoKit.exe made 336 modifications to Windows Startup
    >
    > Autobar.exe made 8 modifications to Windows Startup
    >
    > I have not done any updates or actions that would have triggered this.
    > Should I be worried? What do I need to check and do in order to be sure that
    > this is not the result of Malware, Spyware or a Virus?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I suggest you use Google and look-up each one of them and find out what
    they do.

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Realsched.exe+&btnG=Google+Search>

    Flash Gordon, Jan 3, 2008

  3. "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Curt Peterson wrote:
    >> Norton Internet Security 2008 is indicating the following:
    >>
    >> Realsched.exe made 57 modifications to Windows Startup
    >>
    >> AutoKit.exe made 336 modifications to Windows Startup
    >>
    >> Autobar.exe made 8 modifications to Windows Startup
    >>
    >> I have not done any updates or actions that would have triggered this.
    >> Should I be worried? What do I need to check and do in order to be sure
    >> that this is not the result of Malware, Spyware or a Virus?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > I suggest you use Google and look-up each one of them and find out what
    > they do.
    >
    > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Realsched.exe+&btnG=Google+Search>

    Thanks... that is where I started. They are tied to Real Networks, HP
    Printers and HP Digital Imaging. On the surface they appear legit, but I
    still fear they are masking malicious activity.

    Curt Peterson, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Curt Peterson

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Curt Peterson wrote:
    > "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Curt Peterson wrote:
    >>> Norton Internet Security 2008 is indicating the following:
    >>>
    >>> Realsched.exe made 57 modifications to Windows Startup
    >>>
    >>> AutoKit.exe made 336 modifications to Windows Startup
    >>>
    >>> Autobar.exe made 8 modifications to Windows Startup
    >>>
    >>> I have not done any updates or actions that would have triggered this.
    >>> Should I be worried? What do I need to check and do in order to be sure
    >>> that this is not the result of Malware, Spyware or a Virus?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> I suggest you use Google and look-up each one of them and find out what
    >> they do.
    >>
    >> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Realsched.exe+&btnG=Google+Search>

    > Thanks... that is where I started. They are tied to Real Networks, HP
    > Printers and HP Digital Imaging. On the surface they appear legit, but I
    > still fear they are masking malicious activity.

    Malice intent based on what? It seems to me that it's more whining from
    a so called *Security Tool*, and I use the words loosely like Norton
    that's got you all paranoid.

    If you don't want things to be changed, then you don't run the machine
    with an Admin account.

    If you suspect something, then you use the proper tools and you investigate.

    <http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html>

    The buck stops with the O/S, and not something like Norton, like
    secure/harden the O/S to attack as much as possible.

    <http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm>

    If you don't want something to run, then stop its execution with the O/S
    using NTFS, or you remove it.

    Flash Gordon, Jan 3, 2008