    2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.

    Best regards

    Pat

    KingKong, Dec 22, 2005

  2. KingKong

    Gary Guest

    KingKong wrote:
    > Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
    > but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
    > key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
    > legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB can't
    > be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want to update
    > SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be able to use USB
    > 2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Pat

    Shame on you for stealing software and double shame on you for using a
    standard known-to-be-stolen key for the installation. Your options are
    to either go out and buy a real copy of Windows that you can then
    register, or to go out and find a key generation program and then
    generate enough keys that one of them will pass the MS test. They exist,
    but the easier way is to buy the software, or change to Linux.

    Gary, Dec 22, 2005

  3. KingKong

    KingKong Guest

    Yes shame on me, or on the person that I bought the computer from...

    Anyway, the MS test mentioned in the former reply, where/when do I do
    that? Not during the SP2 installation, because it just stoped when I
    tried. If I have a legal key and I don't want to format my computer,
    can I change the key from my pirate to a legal/generated in a safe/easy
    way so that I can update to SP2 then?

    Best regards

    Pat

    KingKong, Dec 22, 2005
  4. KingKong

    PJB Guest

    "KingKong" <> wrote in message
    > Yes shame on me, or on the person that I bought the computer from...
    >
    > Anyway, the MS test mentioned in the former reply, where/when do I do
    > that? Not during the SP2 installation, because it just stoped when I
    > tried. If I have a legal key and I don't want to format my computer,
    > can I change the key from my pirate to a legal/generated in a safe/easy
    > way so that I can update to SP2 then?

    I think you can, but if memory serves, it gets very messy. You could try a
    computer fair, you can usually pick up cheap oem copies of XP there.

    P.

    PJB, Dec 22, 2005
  5. KingKong

    Guest

    Try "the XP CD" with SP2 integrated

    , Dec 22, 2005
  6. KingKong

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    KingKong wrote:
    > Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
    > but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
    > key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
    > legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB can't
    > be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want to update
    > SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be able to use USB
    > 2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.

    Do not use manual update. Setup auto-update and it should work fine.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 22, 2005
  7. KingKong

    KingKong Guest

    The reason why I have downloaded (from work) the whole SP2 is because I
    only have a very slow internet connection at home and it would take me
    forever to install it.

    I got a tip about changing the key:

    Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41

    Do I dare to try this?

    /Pat

    KingKong, Dec 22, 2005
  8. KingKong

    Ron Martell Guest

    "KingKong" <> wrote:

    >The reason why I have downloaded (from work) the whole SP2 is because I
    >only have a very slow internet connection at home and it would take me
    >forever to install it.
    >
    >I got a tip about changing the key:
    >
    >Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41
    >
    >Do I dare to try this?
    >
    >/Pat

    Magic Jelly Bean is pretty safe insofar as changing the key is
    concerned. However the new key you use has to be one that is for the
    actual edition (Pro, Home, Tablet, Media Center), version (OEM, Retail
    Upgrade, Retail Full, Volume License) and language that you have
    installed.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 22, 2005
  9. KingKong

    Gary Guest

    KingKong wrote:
    > The reason why I have downloaded (from work) the whole SP2 is because I
    > only have a very slow internet connection at home and it would take me
    > forever to install it.
    >
    > I got a tip about changing the key:
    >
    > Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41
    >
    > Do I dare to try this?
    >
    > /Pat

    Magic Jelly Bean will work just fine in changing the key, but you still
    need a good key. Look around for xp key generators and go from there.
    However, it is still unlikely that you will find a 'legitimate' key
    using that method. Using p2p you can find a sp2 version and it then
    might have a good key. A lot easier to just bite the bullet and buy a
    copy. Much less work that way. I presume your time is worth something,
    and it will take many hours to find the right hack.

    Gary, Dec 22, 2005
  10. KingKong

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    KingKong spewed forth:
    > Hi all, I have to update my pirate Windows XP pro with service pack 2
    > but when I try to install SP2 I get an error message saying that the
    > key is not valid. Is there a safe way to install SP2 (not buying a new
    > legal Windows XP)? The reason why I want to update is that my USB
    > can't be used as USB2.0 if I don't update (at least SP1, but I want
    > to update SP2 direct since SP1 is included in SP2?). I have to be
    > able to use USB
    > 2.0 since the printer doesn't support USB1.1.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Pat

    Hogwash. First, ignoring the illicit software, SP1 and SP2 have nothing to
    do with USB 2.0. Second, all (that means *all*) certified USB 2.0 devices
    will run on USB 1.1 ports. They just run slower. If your printer is from a
    major manufacturer (Canon, Lexmark, HP, Epson, etc.) it is going to work on
    USB 1.1. That's part of the USB 2.0 specification. So if your printer isn't
    working, you have OTHER problems.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005
  11. KingKong

    KingKong Guest

    Changing key with Magic Jelly Bean was no problem and I now have SP2
    installed, but the problem with installing my printer is not solved. I
    called HP support and they say that you need to have USB2.0 to be able
    to install the printer. I checked the device manager and it says that I
    have USB2.0 installed and my USB2.0 flash memory works. Do you have
    some other suggestions what it can be that stops me to install my
    printer?

    Best regards

    Pat

    KingKong, Dec 23, 2005
  12. KingKong

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    KingKong spewed forth:
    > Changing key with Magic Jelly Bean was no problem and I now have SP2
    > installed, but the problem with installing my printer is not solved. I
    > called HP support and they say that you need to have USB2.0 to be able
    > to install the printer. I checked the device manager and it says that
    > I have USB2.0 installed and my USB2.0 flash memory works. Do you have
    > some other suggestions what it can be that stops me to install my
    > printer?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Pat

    I've talked with HP support in the past myself. Bottom line, they were about
    the stupidest bunch I've ever encountered. The USB 2.0 specification
    standard DEMANDS backwards compatibility. And your computer itself is
    telling you that you have USB 2.0. So why do you think that's the problem?
    Just becasue HP said so? (See - I told you they are stupid <g>)

    Have you cleaned up the botched install? Deleted all files left behind?
    Started over clean?

    Toolman Tim, Dec 23, 2005
  13. KingKong

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I've talked with HP support in the past myself. Bottom line, they were about
    > the stupidest bunch I've ever encountered. The USB 2.0 specification

    Brand new laptop at a customer's home. Brand new HP printer. Darn thing
    would install, but not work. Yes of course since it's a customer I
    follow word for word the docs.

    So, broke down and called HP. Even tho I said I followed the correct
    procedure they insisted I try again. Of course I already did it twice,
    but that's the only "tweak" they offered. I never got it to work, wasted
    2 hours and of course, couldnt charge anything.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 23, 2005
  14. KingKong

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I've run into a lot of installation problems (mostly digital cameras and
    > scanners) but it was never XP - I did get them all working eventually except
    > two. Mostly it was poorly written installation software, or old drivers

    No big deal. One cant expect all new hardware to work with all old
    software I guess.

    Plato, Dec 24, 2005
  15. KingKong

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43ac9134$0$33444$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> I've run into a lot of installation problems (mostly digital cameras
    >> and scanners) but it was never XP - I did get them all working
    >> eventually except two. Mostly it was poorly written installation
    >> software, or old drivers

    > No big deal. One cant expect all new hardware to work with all old
    > software I guess.

    Well, it is a big deal when several hundred dollars of hardware is rendered
    useless in only 2 or 3 years. I could see something being obsolete maybe 5,
    6 years old or more: by then I feel I've recovered my investment. But a
    company simply choosing not to support something that is fairly new? Bad
    practices. I mean, look at ATI video cards: they have drivers for XP for
    their cards that are 10 years old.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 24, 2005
  16. KingKong

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > No big deal. One cant expect all new hardware to work with all old
    > > software I guess.

    > Well, it is a big deal when several hundred dollars of hardware is rendered

    Or perhaps it was just too new at the time for them to have a fix.

    Plato, Dec 24, 2005
  17. KingKong

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43ac9782$1$509$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> No big deal. One cant expect all new hardware to work with all old
    >>> software I guess.

    >> Well, it is a big deal when several hundred dollars of hardware is
    >> rendered

    > Or perhaps it was just too new at the time for them to have a fix.

    But they never have done a fix. And basically, when I contacted their tech
    support, they said they had no intention of fixing the problems. Of course,
    on the scanner it's a minor thing (the "copy" function doesn't work -
    everything else does). But Canon never did anything. So I'm left with 4 of
    these $400 large format printers in storage that are basically worthless.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 24, 2005