Windows SP1 Leaked

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Jan 15, 2011.

  1. William Brown, Jan 15, 2011

  2. On Jan 16, 12:49 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download
    >
    > http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/01/15/windows-7-sp1-final-rtm-7601...

    this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
    are not downloading it from the source

    Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
    developing SP1, and make it available for free download?

    FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 16, 2011

  3. William Brown

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:45:35 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > On Jan 16, 12:49 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download
    >>
    >> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/01/15/windows-7-sp1-final-

    rtm-7601...

    > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you are
    > not downloading it from the source
    >
    > Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
    > developing SP1, and make it available for free download?
    >
    > FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

    Anything like this "leaked" software from Microsoft is usually available
    deliberately. The only possible options are that Microsoft's security is
    sub standard, or that persons with authorised access released it to
    someone in the public.

    Sweetpea, Jan 16, 2011
  4. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/01/11 16:24, EMB wrote:
    > On 16/01/2011 3:45 p.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> On Jan 16, 12:49 pm, William Brown<> wrote:
    >>> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/01/15/windows-7-sp1-final-rtm-7601...

    this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
    >> are not downloading it from the source
    >>
    >> Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have
    >> finished developing SP1, and make it available for free download?
    >>
    >> FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

    > So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new
    > system builds?

    For their testing?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2011
  5. In message
    <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
    > are not downloading it from the source

    Open-source projects publish SHA-1 or similar hash digests of their package
    releases. This way you can get the package itself from anywhere you like,
    and then verify it against the original source.

    But of course proprietary software companies are incapable of doing things
    that way, aren’t they?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 16, 2011
  6. William Brown

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:35:09 +1300, EMB wrote:

    >> Anything like this "leaked" software from Microsoft is usually
    >> available deliberately. The only possible options are that Microsoft's
    >> security is sub standard, or that persons with authorised access
    >> released it to someone in the public.

    > Deliberate (but not on MS's part) sounds likely as it has been released
    > to OEMs

    How do you know that it wasn't done by Microsoft?

    What would be their advantage for releasing it? And what would be their
    advantage for keeping it locked up?

    Sweetpea, Jan 16, 2011
  7. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/01/11 19:35, EMB wrote:

    > The testing phase is supposedly over (we've been a part of it and have a
    > pretty good idea of the timeline).

    That's the versions that are preinstalled on disks that go to system
    builders?

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2011
  8. On Jan 16, 9:58 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:35:09 +1300, EMB wrote:
    > >> Anything like this "leaked" software from Microsoft is usually
    > >> available deliberately. The only possible options are that Microsoft's
    > >> security is sub standard, or that persons with authorised access
    > >> released it to someone in the public.

    > > Deliberate (but not on MS's part) sounds likely as it has been released
    > > to OEMs

    > How do you know that it wasn't done by Microsoft?
    >
    > What would be their advantage for releasing it? And what would be their
    > advantage for keeping it locked up?

    Its really quite simple, Windows 7 SP1 is close to being ready but it
    is not signed off on as being the final finished SP1 release already

    Why download something off the Internet when you can download it from
    the source once it is ready

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 16, 2011
  9. On Jan 16, 7:35 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 16/01/2011 6:37 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

    > > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you

    > >> So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new
    > >> system builds?

    > > For their testing?

    > Released by the look of it -http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/14/windows_7_service_pack_1/
    >
    > The testing phase is supposedly over (we've been a part of it and have a
    > pretty good idea of the timeline).- Hide quoted text -

    The Reg is wrong, it is not final yet, hasn't been signed off on as
    final by the various Microsoft stakeholders, the article is just plain
    wrong, going off a Russian blog poster

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 16, 2011
  10. On Jan 16, 4:24 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 16/01/2011 3:45 p.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    > > On Jan 16, 12:49 pm, William Brown<>  wrote:
    > >> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download

    > >>http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/01/15/windows-7-sp1-final-rtm-7601....

    > > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
    > > are not downloading it from the source

    > > Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
    > > developing SP1, and make it available for free download?

    > > FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

    > So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new system
    > builds?

    it hasn't been released yet

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 16, 2011
  11. On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:38:01 -0800 (PST), Nathan Mercer
    <> wrote:

    >> > Deliberate (but not on MS's part) sounds likely as it has been released
    >> > to OEMs

    >> How do you know that it wasn't done by Microsoft?
    >>
    >> What would be their advantage for releasing it? And what would be their
    >> advantage for keeping it locked up?

    >Its really quite simple, Windows 7 SP1 is close to being ready but it
    >is not signed off on as being the final finished SP1 release already
    >
    >Why download something off the Internet when you can download it from
    >the source once it is ready

    Because some people like to be the first on the block, like all those
    that queue up when the iPhone was released.

    There is some Russian Hack Wzor or web site that seems to know more that
    MS does and make statements on released MS products..

    http://wzor.net/ log on with Ky! Ky!

    States that SP1 has been signed off.

    William Brown, Jan 16, 2011
  12. On Jan 17, 11:48 am, William Brown <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:38:01 -0800 (PST), Nathan  Mercer
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> How do you know that it wasn't done by Microsoft?

    > >> What would be their advantage for releasing it? And what would be their
    > >> advantage for keeping it locked up?

    > >Its really quite simple, Windows 7 SP1 is close to being ready but it
    > >is not signed off on as being the final finished SP1 release already

    > >Why download something off the Internet when you can download it from
    > >the source once it is ready

    > Because some people like to be the first on the block, like all those
    > that queue up when the iPhone was released.

    except its not released

    > There is some Russian Hack Wzor or web site that seems to know more that
    > MS does and make statements on released MS products..
    >
    > http://wzor.net/  log on with  Ky!   Ky!
    >
    > States that SP1 has been signed off.

    Strange that you would believe a Russian hack site more than Microsoft

    That may be the final build, it may be very close to the final build,
    but regardless SP1 is not signed off by Microsoft has final and
    complete yet

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 16, 2011
  13. On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:41:09 -0800 (PST), Nathan Mercer
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 16, 7:35 pm, EMB <> wrote:

    >> > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you

    >> > For their testing?

    >> Released by the look of it -http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/14/windows_7_service_pack_1/
    >>
    >> The testing phase is supposedly over (we've been a part of it and have a
    >> pretty good idea of the timeline).- Hide quoted text -

    >The Reg is wrong, it is not final yet, hasn't been signed off on as
    >final by the various Microsoft stakeholders, the article is just plain
    >wrong, going off a Russian blog poster

    That Russian web site has found to be correct, its the Bible on MS
    releases.

    Have a good read

    Wzor.net log on with Ky! Ky!

    William Brown, Jan 16, 2011
  14. On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:42:05 -0800 (PST), Nathan Mercer
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 16, 4:24 pm, EMB <> wrote:

    >> > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
    >> > are not downloading it from the source

    >> > Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
    >> > developing SP1, and make it available for free download?

    >> > FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

    >> So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new system
    >> builds?

    >it hasn't been released yet

    Not acording to Wzor.net

    William Brown, Jan 16, 2011
  15. On Jan 17, 12:03 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:41:09 -0800 (PST), Nathan  Mercer
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> Released by the look of it -http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/14/windows_7_service_pack_1/

    > >> The testing phase is supposedly over (we've been a part of it and have a
    > >> pretty good idea of the timeline).- Hide quoted text -

    > >The Reg is wrong, it is not final yet, hasn't been signed off on as
    > >final by the various Microsoft stakeholders, the article is just plain
    > >wrong, going off a Russian blog poster

    > That Russian web site has found to be correct, its the Bible on MS
    > releases.
    >
    > Have a good read
    >
    > Wzor.net  log on with Ky!   Ky!- Hide quoted text -

    Its published on the Internet, it must be true!

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 17, 2011
  16. On Jan 17, 12:04 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:42:05 -0800 (PST), Nathan  Mercer
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new system
    > >> builds?

    > >it hasn't been released yet

    > Not acording to Wzor.net-

    They're wrong, SP1 has not been signed off as final yet

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 17, 2011
  17. William Brown

    AD. Guest

    On Jan 17, 1:29 pm, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    > On Jan 17, 12:03 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > > That Russian web site has found to be correct, its the Bible on MS
    > > releases.

    > > Have a good read

    > > Wzor.net  log on with Ky!   Ky!- Hide quoted text -

    > Its published on the Internet, it must be true!

    I wonder how Wogers information evaluation algorithm works. The way he
    sticks to the first thing he hears as gospel and combined with the
    complete and utter lack of error correction or reevaluation due to new
    information makes it seem as braindead simple as:

    truth(topic) = not
    ( have_i_heard_something_vaguely_about_this_already(topic) )

    Unfortunately his tendency to read all kinds of obscure rumour sites
    first before reading sites with slightly more credibility means that
    the algorithm works even worse than you'd normally expect. The only
    way something has a chance of being corrected is for Woger to forget
    all about it, and then read about it again much later when most
    information out there is actually correct. eg like when he finally
    switched from Win98 to XP.

    It's almost like he was coded back when memory and cpu resources were
    very scarce... oh wait...

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 17, 2011
  18. On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:27:24 -0800 (PST), "AD." <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 17, 1:29 pm, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    >> On Jan 17, 12:03 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> > That Russian web site has found to be correct, its the Bible on MS
    >> > releases.

    >> > Have a good read

    >> > Wzor.net  log on with Ky!   Ky!- Hide quoted text -

    >> Its published on the Internet, it must be true!

    >I wonder how Wogers information evaluation algorithm works. The way he
    >sticks to the first thing he hears as gospel and combined with the
    >complete and utter lack of error correction or reevaluation due to new
    >information makes it seem as braindead simple as:
    >
    >truth(topic) = not
    >( have_i_heard_something_vaguely_about_this_already(topic) )
    >
    >Unfortunately his tendency to read all kinds of obscure rumour sites
    >first before reading sites with slightly more credibility means that
    >the algorithm works even worse than you'd normally expect. The only
    >way something has a chance of being corrected is for Woger to forget
    >all about it, and then read about it again much later when most
    >information out there is actually correct. eg like when he finally
    >switched from Win98 to XP.
    >
    >It's almost like he was coded back when memory and cpu resources were
    >very scarce... oh wait...

    Go do some Net Reading as Wzor is referenced by vast number of Web
    sites, don't comment when you just don't have a clue..

    I just passed on the Info I did not make it at all, its on Stacks of
    Well know Web sites.

    So go do some of your own reading and then come back and say sorry for
    slagging me off.

    William Brown, Jan 17, 2011
  19. In message
    <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > The Reg is wrong, it is not final yet, hasn't been signed off on as
    > final by the various Microsoft stakeholders, the article is just plain
    > wrong, going off a Russian blog poster

    You, on the other hand, speak for Steve Ballmer himself.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 17, 2011
  20. William Brown

    AD. Guest

    On Jan 17, 7:43 pm, William Brown <> wrote:

    > Go do some Net Reading as Wzor is referenced by vast number of Web
    > sites, don't comment when you just don't have a clue..

    So are sites claiming things like the Apollo mission was a hoax, the
    US government attacked the World Trade Center, the earth is flat, and
    the measles vaccine causes autism.

    Doesn't mean any of it is actually correct.

    > I just passed on the Info I did not make it at all, its on Stacks of
    > Well know Web sites.

    What does that have to do whether or not the information is true or
    not? Have any of them independently verified the information or are
    they just repeating the original report? What evidence is there that
    this is ACTUALLY the final service pack? What evidence is there that
    MS is lying when they say it hasn't been finalised yet?

    You'll have to do better than that.

    > So go do some of your own reading and then come back and say sorry for
    > slagging me off.

    OK I'm sorry for slagging you off - I just read your link, and there
    was a comment from Bill Gates himself confirming it - "I can confirm
    this is the real deal (RTM)" he said.

    Wow, you were right after all.

    --
    Cheers