    Someone kindly pointed me to MRTG and Cacti but they have to be compiled
    rather than installed and this exceeds my skills. Thanks for any
    pointers.
    tg, Feb 25, 2009

  2. tg

    alexd Guest

    tg wrote:

    > cisco 2651XM router fitted with:
    > WIC1-adsl, NM-16ESW switch, on adsl broadband
    >
    > as of late I'm getting slow broadband and I've reported this to my ISP
    > who is currently looking into it. But it occurrs to me I don't really
    > know what is happening on my adsl line.

    Have a look at your DSL stats [show dsl int] and the CPU on your router. If
    you're hammering the torrents you might be overwhelming it.

    > Someone kindly pointed me to MRTG and Cacti but they have to be compiled
    > rather than installed and this exceeds my skills. Thanks for any
    > pointers.

    Cacti is PHP+MySQL so doesn't need compiling. Have a look at PRTG instead.
    Some of these monitoring platforms are available as ready-made VM images so
    that might be worth a look.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:52:21 up 82 days, 23:04, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.06
    alexd, Feb 25, 2009

  3. tg

    bod43 Guest

    On 25 Feb, 20:59, alexd <> wrote:
    > tg wrote:
    > > cisco 2651XM router fitted with:
    > > WIC1-adsl, NM-16ESW switch, on adsl broadband

    > > as of late I'm getting slow broadband and I've reported this to my ISP
    > > who is currently looking into it. But it occurrs to me I don't really
    > > know what is happening on my adsl line.

    > Have a look at your DSL stats [show dsl int] and the CPU on your router. If
    > you're hammering the torrents you might be overwhelming it.
    >
    > > Someone kindly pointed me to MRTG and Cacti but they have to be compiled
    > > rather than installed and this exceeds my skills. Thanks for any
    > > pointers.

    > Cacti is PHP+MySQL so doesn't need compiling. Have a look at PRTG instead.
    > Some of these monitoring platforms are available as ready-made VM images so
    > that might be worth a look.

    The absolute simplest snmp client that can
    display graphs that I know of is:-

    http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

    It is an old application and does not have the facility to save
    the data but it can record for a few days. It will be version1
    only I would think.

    You need to configure snmp on your router.
    bod43, Feb 26, 2009
  4. tg

    tg Guest

    "bod43" <> wrote in message
    > On 25 Feb, 20:59, alexd <> wrote:

    ok I'll chack this out and thanks for your feedback bod43
    tg, Feb 27, 2009
  5. tg

    bod43 Guest

    On 27 Feb, 23:16, "tg" <> wrote:
    > "bod43" <> wrote in message

    > > On 25 Feb, 20:59, alexd <> wrote:
    > >> tg wrote:

    > ok I'll chack this out and thanks for your feedback bod43

    Ther is quite a lot going on here and if you have
    never used snmp before it could be quite a challenge.

    Here is a quick outline.

    NOTE - Graph created is BYTES (octets) per second.

    In the router config
    snmp-server community bod43 RO

    You should make sure that people on the internet
    cannot access your router via snmp.

    Install getif by running setup program.

    Run it (on vista may need to run as adiministrator)
    Enter "host name" and "Read Community" e.g. "bod43".
    (host name may need to be address of
    router if not resolvable)
    Press "Start"

    You should get details back such as
    SysDescr - and perhaps others depending on what is configured.

    Now choose "MBrowser" tab.

    Drill down the 'folder' structure to -

    ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry

    Select "ifDescr"
    Press "Start"

    NOTE - the number for your interface of interest
    On my 877W ATM0 is ifDescr.6 but this is determined at
    system start-up dynamically so could in principle vary.

    Now in the SAME 'folder' select the data you want to collect

    e.g. ifInOctets

    Press "Start"

    Now select the entry you want to graph,
    as NOTED above. In my case ifInOctets.6

    Press "Add to Graph".

    Repeat for more graphs
    e.g. ifOutOctets.

    Select the data "ifOutOctets"
    Press "start"
    Select the one to Graph e.g. ifOutOctets.6
    Press "Add to Graph"

    Now go to the "Graph" tab.

    Press "Start"
    You get a real time graph of whatever you have selected.

    It remembers a LOT of points but only displays the number
    in the "Nb pts" box.

    The application has bugs.
    If you set the Nb pts to zero or blank (ever) even for
    a second the applciation will hang *instantly*. There is
    no recovery.
    After you have collected thousands of points
    it will hang.
    It uses quite a lot of system resources so you can only
    run a few copies of it.
    It does not handle wrapped counters well.

    It will though do what you need very well.
    bod43, Feb 28, 2009