Windows Shutdown - Help !!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thomas McPherson, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Recently when I have gone to shutdown Windows or Restart, I get a message
    coming up

    "Updates are being installed 1 of 1 "

    "Do not turn off or unplug your computer - it will turn off automatically"

    Ok - so I left it like this for ages and nothing was happening - eventually
    I had to unplug it as I was going out.

    Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to get round this problem.

    I have Windows XP

    There is a solution!"

    http://www.giantcompany.com

    Thomas McPherson, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Thomas McPherson

    WormWood Guest

    "Thomas McPherson" <> wrote in message
    | Recently when I have gone to shutdown Windows or Restart, I get a
    message
    | coming up
    |
    | "Updates are being installed 1 of 1 "
    |
    | "Do not turn off or unplug your computer - it will turn off
    automatically"

    | Ok - so I left it like this for ages and nothing was happening -
    eventually
    | I had to unplug it as I was going out.
    |
    | Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to get round this
    problem.

    | I have Windows XP

    Have you had a successful restart since this all started? You stated you
    get the error on shutdown as well as on restart. Even I know you don't
    shut down unless you are already running. So, if you can run it, go into
    safe mode and see what is going on in msconfig / startup for now. Any
    new items?

    WormWood, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Thomas McPherson

    carol clough Guest

    > Recently when I have gone to shutdown Windows or Restart, I get a message
    > coming up
    >
    > "Updates are being installed 1 of 1 "
    >
    > "Do not turn off or unplug your computer - it will turn off automatically"
    >
    > Ok - so I left it like this for ages and nothing was happening -
    > eventually
    > I had to unplug it as I was going out.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to get round this problem.
    >
    > I have Windows XP

    I think it's this, go to control panel and automatic updates and choose the
    option "turn off automatic updates". I did this last week to fix the same
    problem.

    carol clough, Oct 16, 2004