Windows Setup - cannot upgrade files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steven Ellner, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Can anyone remedy the following problem which only occurs when I try to
    install new software:

    I am using Windows ME without problems until recently. Now, when I try to
    install a new program (for example, DirectX from MS) and I have to restart
    the computer (which is required for DirectX and some other apps), first I
    get this message (before windows loads):

    "Please wait while setup updates your configuration files. This may take a
    few minutes..."

    Ok fine so far, but then I get the following message, dozens of times
    (before windows loads):

    Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2
    %1 : %2

    About a hundred times or so (I guess once for each file it fails to
    upgrade). After an hour or so (alot of these messages), windows finally
    loads, but the newly installed program doesnt work.

    This is happening with other programs I try to load as well.

    Thank you

    Steven Ellner, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Thanks, that should have helped, but I did not have the file wininit.ini on
    my computer (although I did have wininit.err and the like). Oh well, at
    least its not a critical application for me, I just wanted to run MS flight
    simulator and needed Directx installed.

    Steve

    Steven Ellner, Jul 9, 2003