windows server soft raid, and 2 dickky drives.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Its not completing a resync because of errors on the driver, there are 2
    that are not working too good. It will come up and the stuff is
    accessable, and what I have looked at before the resync barfed is fine.

    But I need to get the stuff onto a new array. It is 6 200 gig drives,
    raid 5 for about 980 gigs of usable space, and pretty full.

    Anyway. If I was to identify the 2 dodgey drives, would I be able to
    clone them onto a new 1tb drive (using DD I guess) and will windows be
    smart enough to resync them, that is, will everything needed for it to
    recognize that the drives are the same be copied, or does it use
    something with the model and serial of the drive to ID it too?

    Secondly, once clones to the new drives, there will be about 800 gigs on
    each unused. Can I put a new stripeset there and copy from the raid-5
    into that stripe set so I can then delete the raid and expand the stripe
    set to the full 1tb of space on the 2 drives? - The idea of finding some
    spare 200 or 250 gig drives for the short time needed isn't very enticing.

    Richard, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Its not completing a resync because of errors on the driver,

    > you mean drive?

    Yes, I did but made a typo.

    > there are 2
    >> that are not working too good. It will come up and the stuff is
    >> accessable, and what I have looked at before the resync barfed is fine.
    >>
    >> But I need to get the stuff onto a new array. It is 6 200 gig drives,
    >> raid 5 for about 980 gigs of usable space, and pretty full.
    >>
    >> Anyway. If I was to identify the 2 dodgey drives, would I be able to
    >> clone them onto a new 1tb drive (using DD I guess)

    > uh...you want the odds on that bet?
    >
    > Is the data disk mountable by Windows?

    It mounts fine, and reads fine, till the resync gets to a point that it
    cant read from one of the drives and then the array fails. If I bring it
    online again I can copy more stuff off it till it goes offline upon
    hitting that point, its at about 4% of the resync it dies but if I am
    heavily reading from it then it takes ages to get there. I guess there
    will be one file that fails to copy thats sitting on the dead sector,
    but that will soon come up when I next play thru it and have the media
    player chuck an error. Important stuff is all zipped up and I have copys
    elsewhere so a verify on the zips will let me know if anything is wrong.

    > and will windows be
    >> smart enough to resync them, that is, will everything needed for it to
    >> recognize that the drives are the same be copied, or does it use
    >> something with the model and serial of the drive to ID it too?
    >>
    >> Secondly, once clones to the new drives, there will be about 800 gigs
    >> on each unused. Can I put a new stripeset there and copy from the
    >> raid-5 into that stripe set so I can then delete the raid and expand
    >> the stripe set to the full 1tb of space on the 2 drives? - The idea of
    >> finding some spare 200 or 250 gig drives for the short time needed
    >> isn't very enticing.

    > software raid....***shudder***......
    >
    > Which is less enticing loosing the data or buying some cheap disk?

    I cant afford 2 lots of cheap disk at the moment, I might just get a
    single 1tb drive, copy everything to it and then mirror it in 2 weeks
    time, I will still have the copy on the dodgey raid in anycase if
    something happens in that 2 weeks. If I didnt have a raid I would have
    lost things twice already with drive failure so its paid off so far. I
    dont like the idea of going to my dvd archives of media since it was
    done pre-sorting and tagging and would take ages to put back, plus its
    missing the last 3 months of downloads at the moment.

    Richard, Nov 12, 2008

  3. thing2 wrote:

    > software raid....***shudder***......

    Works OK on Linux. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > thing2 wrote:
    >
    >> software raid....***shudder***......

    > Works OK on Linux. :)

    Works ok on windows too untill you forget to change the smtp server so
    it doesnt email you when the first drive is chucked out of the array for
    an error. Oops.

    Richard, Nov 13, 2008
  5. thingy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> thing2 wrote:
    >>
    >>> software raid....***shudder***......

    >> Works OK on Linux. :)

    > Ive had it fail after a simple power outage on linux...

    What sort of failure?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 14, 2008
  6. Richard

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Works OK on Linux. :)

    >> Ive had it fail after a simple power outage on linux...

    > What sort of failure?

    You'll be interested in this Lawrence - I had a *hardware* RAID failure
    last week. The sequence of events was unusual, the RAID failed, and a
    day or so later a disk failed. When the disk was replaced the RAID came
    good again.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --