  1. IT Geek

    IT Geek Guest

    Does any one know how to change the product key for Server core 2008
    IT Geek, Sep 17, 2008

  2. IT Geek

    Guest

    I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure the Software License Manager
    script (slmgr.vbs) will do it.

    You may need to do this command first to clear the key.
    start /w slmgr.vbs -upk AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE

    This command enters the key
    start /w slmgr.vbs -ipk AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE

    This will start the activation process
    start /w slmgr.vbs -ato

    HTH,

    Darril GIbson
    Author -
    MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide: (Exam
    70-646) ISBN 978-0470293157
    MCITP Windows Vista Support Technician All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam
    70-620, 70-622, & 70-623) ISBN 978-0071546676

    > Does any one know how to change the product key for Server core 2008
    , Sep 19, 2008

  3. IT Geek

    IT Geek Guest

    The one thing that I am confussed about is, when I run the command to clear
    the product key should I leave it blank
    Ex: start /w slmgr.vbs -upk
    if I have to put in a product key where would I find the key that needs to
    be removed
    Ex: start /w slmgr.vbs -upk AAAAA-BBBBB

    IT Geek, Sep 19, 2008
  4. IT Geek

    Guest

    My bad. The key is not included in the -upk command. I'm betting you
    tried it without the key by now.

    Docs on the slmgr.vbs script seem to be pretty slim.

    Darril

    On Sep 19, 9:27 am, "IT Geek" <> wrote:
    > The one thing that I am confussed about is, when I run the command to clear
    > the product key should I leave it blank
    > Ex: start /w slmgr.vbs -upk
    > if I have to put in a product key where would I find the key that needs to
    > be removed
    > Ex: start /w slmgr.vbs -upk AAAAA-BBBBB
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure the Software License Manager
    > script (slmgr.vbs) will do it.
    >
    > You may need to do this command first to clear the key.
    > start /w slmgr.vbs -upk AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE
    >
    > This command enters the key
    > start /w slmgr.vbs -ipk AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE
    >
    > This will start the activation process
    > start /w slmgr.vbs -ato
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Darril GIbson
    > Author -
    > MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide: (Exam
    > 70-646) ISBN 978-0470293157
    > MCITP Windows Vista Support Technician All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam
    > 70-620, 70-622, & 70-623) ISBN 978-0071546676
    >
    > On Sep 17, 2:24 pm, "IT Geek" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Does any one know how to change the product key for Server core 2008- Hide quoted text -

    , Sep 21, 2008
  5. IT Geek

    IT Geek Guest

    Yes, I did try it with out the key which did not go so well for me. Not
    sure what went wrong.
    I did find some doc that referred me to the system32 directory which I then
    ran a command cscript /w slmgr.vbs and that worked fine. Thanks for the
    help.

    IT Geek, Sep 22, 2008