Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition and Veritas BackupEXEC

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Einar Bordewich, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. I've recently installed a x64 server for AD/DNS/DHCP/Print/File and
    third-party software backupEXEC and database for my customer. When deciding
    for the 32-bit or 64-bit server software I did some cheking if any of the 2
    third-party software solutions would have any problems with the 64-bit
    server OS. The database had been tested on a 64-bit solution in the 32-bit
    enviroment so that was OK. For Veritas BackupEXEC my search came up with
    that I needed to upgrade to version 10.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/A/A/DAA7245D-E01D-46A4-AB70-3A95ED3F6934/64veritas.doc
    http://www.veritas.com/news/press/PressReleaseDetail.jhtml?NewsId=64402

    Now, when I'm about to install the backup software, they tell me that there
    is only the backupExec agent that will run on the server, not the backupExec
    software itself.

    What do I do? This is the only server in the network. Do I downgrade from
    x64 Edition to 32-bit? I do have Windows Server 2003 Standard installation
    media, but will the license key for x64 be OK? Is it possible to re-install
    and downgrade keeping the existing setup? Is there other backup software
    that support 64-bit?

    Only localfiles on the server and stop/start of the database service (done
    by running .bat files) will be needed.

    Regards,

    Einar

    Einar Bordewich, Mar 22, 2006

  2. The keys are different, so you'd need a 32-bit key. There are x64 backup
    software solutions out there - I believe UltraBac is available on x64
    (www.ultrabak.com) and I've always liked their product. And, of course, for
    many situations, the (admittedly limited) built in NTBackup is sufficient.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 22, 2006