windows server 2003 (64 bits) and cdrom.sys

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jacob navia, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Several weeks ago, my windows 2003 server system that was running
    without any problems since at least 1 year, stopped seeing the cdrom
    (dvd) drives, BOTH of them.

    At first it was just a nuisance, but it would not go away.
    I bought new DVD drives, but the problem persisted.

    Frustrated, I decided to re-install. I introduced the
    windows 2003 64 bit server CDROM and booted from it.

    The re-installation went OK, it started copying the files from
    the DVDROM in the hard drive, then rebooted.

    When it rebooted, the setup program told me:

    "Setup continues", and then it crashed because

    "There is no CDROM installed. Can't continue"

    Both DVD drives are seen (in the same machine) by the
    other systems installed:

    Windows Server 2003 32 bits sees both DVD drives.
    The same for windows XP 32 bits
    The same for linux (64 bits)

    I can boot from the DVD without any problem.

    WHAT IS GOING ON?

    Thanks in advance for any help or hint that could help
    me to solve this problem

    jacob
    jacob navia, Dec 27, 2005

  2. jacob navia

    Rick Guest

    If you have been running this particular installation for 1 year, it may
    have expired. The final version was released in April 2005. Any
    version you had installed prior to April 2005 is a pre-release or Beta
    version and the EULA for that has officially expired.

    Your best solution is to purchase a copy of the released version and do
    a clean install of your system. The longer you put this off, the more
    problems you are going to have. You may even lose data that is
    presently on your system.

    Rick, Dec 27, 2005

  3. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > If you have been running this particular installation for 1 year, it may
    > have expired. The final version was released in April 2005. Any
    > version you had installed prior to April 2005 is a pre-release or Beta
    > version and the EULA for that has officially expired.
    >
    > Your best solution is to purchase a copy of the released version and do
    > a clean install of your system. The longer you put this off, the more
    > problems you are going to have. You may even lose data that is
    > presently on your system.
    >

    > jacob navia wrote:
    >
    >> Several weeks ago, my windows 2003 server system that was running
    >> without any problems since at least 1 year, stopped seeing the cdrom
    >> (dvd) drives, BOTH of them.
    >>
    >> At first it was just a nuisance, but it would not go away.
    >> I bought new DVD drives, but the problem persisted.
    >>
    >> Frustrated, I decided to re-install. I introduced the
    >> windows 2003 64 bit server CDROM and booted from it.
    >>
    >> The re-installation went OK, it started copying the files from
    >> the DVDROM in the hard drive, then rebooted.
    >>
    >> When it rebooted, the setup program told me:
    >>
    >> "Setup continues", and then it crashed because
    >>
    >> "There is no CDROM installed. Can't continue"
    >>
    >> Both DVD drives are seen (in the same machine) by the
    >> other systems installed:
    >>
    >> Windows Server 2003 32 bits sees both DVD drives.
    >> The same for windows XP 32 bits
    >> The same for linux (64 bits)
    >>
    >> I can boot from the DVD without any problem.
    >>
    >> WHAT IS GOING ON?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help or hint that could help
    >> me to solve this problem
    >>
    >> jacob

    Please, I pay US$ 2000 for an MSDN Operating systems subscription
    each year...

    All my copies are legal, I have never installed a stolen version.

    Anyway, if it would have expired, it would not restart, or it would
    have told me so. The system continued to work without any problems,
    it is just that the CDROM doesn't work any more.

    But you have given me an idea. The version I am using to reinstall is
    a downloaded version from the msdn site, not the one that comes in
    the MSDN DVDs (the green ones). I will try that.

    Thanks for your time anyway.

    jacob
    jacob navia, Dec 27, 2005
  4. jacob navia

    Rick Guest

    jacob navia wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> If you have been running this particular installation for 1 year, it
    >> may have expired. The final version was released in April 2005. Any
    >> version you had installed prior to April 2005 is a pre-release or Beta
    >> version and the EULA for that has officially expired.
    >>
    >> Your best solution is to purchase a copy of the released version and
    >> do a clean install of your system. The longer you put this off, the
    >> more problems you are going to have. You may even lose data that is
    >> presently on your system.
    >>

    >> jacob navia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Several weeks ago, my windows 2003 server system that was running
    >>> without any problems since at least 1 year, stopped seeing the cdrom
    >>> (dvd) drives, BOTH of them.
    >>>
    >>> At first it was just a nuisance, but it would not go away.
    >>> I bought new DVD drives, but the problem persisted.
    >>>
    >>> Frustrated, I decided to re-install. I introduced the
    >>> windows 2003 64 bit server CDROM and booted from it.
    >>>
    >>> The re-installation went OK, it started copying the files from
    >>> the DVDROM in the hard drive, then rebooted.
    >>>
    >>> When it rebooted, the setup program told me:
    >>>
    >>> "Setup continues", and then it crashed because
    >>>
    >>> "There is no CDROM installed. Can't continue"
    >>>
    >>> Both DVD drives are seen (in the same machine) by the
    >>> other systems installed:
    >>>
    >>> Windows Server 2003 32 bits sees both DVD drives.
    >>> The same for windows XP 32 bits
    >>> The same for linux (64 bits)
    >>>
    >>> I can boot from the DVD without any problem.
    >>>
    >>> WHAT IS GOING ON?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any help or hint that could help
    >>> me to solve this problem
    >>>
    >>> jacob
    >>>

    > Please, I pay US$ 2000 for an MSDN Operating systems subscription
    > each year...
    >
    > All my copies are legal, I have never installed a stolen version.
    >
    > Anyway, if it would have expired, it would not restart, or it would
    > have told me so. The system continued to work without any problems,
    > it is just that the CDROM doesn't work any more.
    >
    > But you have given me an idea. The version I am using to reinstall is
    > a downloaded version from the msdn site, not the one that comes in
    > the MSDN DVDs (the green ones). I will try that.
    >
    > Thanks for your time anyway.
    >
    > jacob

    I was not implying it was stolen. I was just stating that the final
    version was released in April 2005, and that if your current was running
    for 1 year, it would be a pre-release or Beta version and you should
    move up to a current final release version.
    Rick, Dec 27, 2005
  5. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Rick a écrit :
    > jacob navia wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you have been running this particular installation for 1 year, it
    >>> may have expired. The final version was released in April 2005. Any
    >>> version you had installed prior to April 2005 is a pre-release or
    >>> Beta version and the EULA for that has officially expired.
    >>>
    >>> Your best solution is to purchase a copy of the released version and
    >>> do a clean install of your system. The longer you put this off, the
    >>> more problems you are going to have. You may even lose data that is
    >>> presently on your system.

    >> Please, I pay US$ 2000 for an MSDN Operating systems subscription
    >> each year...
    >>
    >> All my copies are legal, I have never installed a stolen version.
    >>
    >> Anyway, if it would have expired, it would not restart, or it would
    >> have told me so. The system continued to work without any problems,
    >> it is just that the CDROM doesn't work any more.
    >>
    >> But you have given me an idea. The version I am using to reinstall is
    >> a downloaded version from the msdn site, not the one that comes in
    >> the MSDN DVDs (the green ones). I will try that.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time anyway.
    >>
    >> jacob

    > I was not implying it was stolen. I was just stating that the final
    > version was released in April 2005, and that if your current was running
    > for 1 year, it would be a pre-release or Beta version and you should
    > move up to a current final release version.

    YOU WERE RIGHT RICK!!!!

    I am sending you this from my new installation, everything worked
    when I used the MSDN CDs. Probably, that was an old CD from the 2004
    distribution.

    Thanks for your help!!!
    jacob navia, Dec 27, 2005