    off my printer (HP) triggers a warning that USB Mass Storage has been
    removed prematurely?

    Regards, Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Tony Sperling

    Bill Guest

    If your printer has a card reader, then make sure you click on the "safely
    remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Then turn off your printer. The
    card reader is a mass storage device.

    Bill Sharpe

    Bill, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Ah, yes of course! How logical - and how inconvenient!

    Great many thanks Bill, I can sleep quietly henceforward.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Tony Sperling

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    Slightly more inconvenient - but perhaps helpful in your case...

    In Disk Management, right-click on the USB "drive", then click Properties.
    On the Policies tab, you can choose between Optimize for quick removal and
    Optimize for performance.

    I've not been able to figure out exactly what this does, but you might try
    whichever one you've not been using for each device.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 25, 2005
  5. I suspect if determines how frequently the write buffer is flushed to disk.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Yes - YEs - YES! That sounds good. I've gotten used to following procedures
    when removing the key-ring drives, and it doesn't bother me any more - but
    powering down my printer? that is a bit over the top. A one-time
    inconvenience. . .I will certainly look in to this, and greate many thanks
    to you R.C.!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 26, 2005