    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Jim Watt

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
    > resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
    > dropping a cursor into it?
    >
    > Much have I googled to no avail ...
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    You can track the registered class name and handle number of the window
    that currently has focus, using Borland's WinSight.

    This utility shipped with their Windows C++ and Pascal compiler packages
    back in the '90s, (now distributed under the name codegear.com). I dare
    say it or something like it is still around in more recent incarnations,
    but that is the one I have on my system. I don't know of any way of
    obtaining it separately.

    I've used it a few times to build 'driver' programs that take control of
    a commercial application by issuing mouse click and other events to its
    windows, thus allowing my program to effectively run the application as
    a task without having to rely on the availability of command line
    parameters.

    Tim Jackson
    www.tim-jackson.co.uk
    Tim Jackson, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:28:42 +0100, Tim Jackson
    <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >> Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
    >> resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
    >> dropping a cursor into it?
    >>
    >> Much have I googled to no avail ...
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >You can track the registered class name and handle number of the window
    >that currently has focus, using Borland's WinSight.
    >
    >This utility shipped with their Windows C++ and Pascal compiler packages
    >back in the '90s, (now distributed under the name codegear.com). I dare
    >say it or something like it is still around in more recent incarnations,
    >but that is the one I have on my system. I don't know of any way of
    >obtaining it separately.
    >
    >I've used it a few times to build 'driver' programs that take control of
    >a commercial application by issuing mouse click and other events to its
    >windows, thus allowing my program to effectively run the application as
    >a task without having to rely on the availability of command line
    >parameters.
    >

    >Tim Jackson
    >www.tim-jackson.co.uk

    Thanks for that, on checking it comes with Delphi5 too
    However, it does not give me the window name. I want to
    do exactly what you describe.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Jim Watt

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:28:42 +0100, Tim Jackson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Watt wrote:
    >>> Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
    >>> resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
    >>> dropping a cursor into it?
    >>>

    >> You can track the registered class name and handle number of the window
    >> that currently has focus, using Borland's WinSight.
    >>

    >> I've used it a few times to build 'driver' programs that take control of
    >> a commercial application by issuing mouse click and other events to its
    >> windows

    > Thanks for that, on checking it comes with Delphi5 too
    > However, it does not give me the window name. I want to
    > do exactly what you describe.

    It gives you the window class name in curly brackets and title
    (caption), if any, in quotes. These are what you need to give
    FindWindow() to retrieve the handle. It also gives in block caps the
    name of the process (usually the executable file name).

    Use FindWindow() to find the application main window on the desktop.
    Once you've got that, navigate child windows either by FindWindowEx(),
    or by EnumChildWindows(). You can identify unnamed child windows (eg
    controls in a dialog) by their relative coordinates. Then take control
    of the controls using PostMessage() to send a BN_CLICKED or some such.

    Tim
    Tim Jackson, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Jim Watt

    nemo_outis Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    > Anybody know of a tool which can identify the
    > resource name of a window on a desktop eg by
    > dropping a cursor into it?
    >
    > Much have I googled to no avail ...
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    You could try spy++ (real name: spyxx.exe - comes with visual studio) or
    winspector.

    See, for instance:

    Using Spy++ to Discover a Window Class Name
    http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX103137

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Aug 11, 2007