Windows Security Center

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Malcolm William Mason, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.

    Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
    some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
    this feature, Windows security Center,
    I may well have, I probably did do something to initiate its appearance,
    but I an at a loss as to what I did and the icon sits there doing
    nothing but occupy space in the System Tray and, oh yes, in the Control
    Panel too.

    however it insists , each time that I IPL, check the security status by
    inflating its balloon and insisting that I click on it to have the
    Security Center open to tell me that:: yes the firewall was turned on
    and, yes, Live updates was activated and NO, it did not know any thing
    about the status of my Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.

    I deal with the antivirus as a part of my regular PC maintenance as well
    as checking disks, registry etc. and defragging. Usually once a week.

    The Windows Security Center is a "do-nothing" nuisance that requires my
    action with every IPL. It is just a another thing which requires my
    action for no purpose.

    Ad/Remove does not show it.

    Can I safely delete it in the Control Panel?

    To paraphrase T.S. Elliott; "Who will rid me of this nuisance
    'FEATURE'?"

    I don't need it , don't want it. How do I rid myself of this unknowingly
    self-inflicted nuisance?

    Malcolm William Mason, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Malcolm William Mason

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 05:01:02 GMT, Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:

    >I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
    >
    >Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
    >some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
    > this feature, Windows security Center,
    >I may well have, I probably did do something to initiate its appearance,
    >but I an at a loss as to what I did and the icon sits there doing
    >nothing but occupy space in the System Tray and, oh yes, in the Control
    >Panel too.
    >
    >however it insists , each time that I IPL, check the security status by
    >inflating its balloon and insisting that I click on it to have the
    >Security Center open to tell me that:: yes the firewall was turned on
    >and, yes, Live updates was activated and NO, it did not know any thing
    >about the status of my Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
    >
    >I deal with the antivirus as a part of my regular PC maintenance as well
    >as checking disks, registry etc. and defragging. Usually once a week.
    >
    >The Windows Security Center is a "do-nothing" nuisance that requires my
    >action with every IPL. It is just a another thing which requires my
    >action for no purpose.
    >
    >Ad/Remove does not show it.
    >
    >Can I safely delete it in the Control Panel?
    >
    >To paraphrase T.S. Elliott; "Who will rid me of this nuisance
    >'FEATURE'?"
    >
    >I don't need it , don't want it. How do I rid myself of this unknowingly
    >self-inflicted nuisance?

    How to Disable Security Center Alerts:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_disablescalerts.mspx

    To turn off Security Center alerts,
    1. Click Start. Settings, Control Panel.
    2. Double-click "Security Center".
    3. In the Security Center, under Resources, click "Change the way Security Center alerts me".
    4. In the Alert Settings dialog box, clear the Firewall, Automatic Updates, or Virus Protection
    check boxes, and then click OK.

    When you use this procedure, the Security Center still displays your status, but does not send
    you alerts.

    Unk, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Re: Re: Windows Security Center

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:05:56 -0400, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 05:01:02 GMT, Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
    >>
    >>Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
    >>some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
    >> this feature, Windows security Center,

    How to Disable Security Center Alerts:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_disablescalerts.mspx

    When you use this procedure, the Security Center still displays your
    status, but does not send
    you alerts.

    Thank you very much.

    Malcolm Mason

    Malcolm William Mason, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Malcolm William Mason

    JP Guest

    Alternatively, click start > run, type in services.msc and press enter.
    Find security center in the list, right click, properties, set startup type
    to manual.
    This should stop it starting all together!

    JP, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Malcolm William Mason

    PC Guest

    "Malcolm William Mason" <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
    >
    > Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
    > some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
    > this feature, Windows security Center,
    > I may well have, I probably did do something to initiate its appearance,
    > but I an at a loss as to what I did and the icon sits there doing
    > nothing but occupy space in the System Tray and, oh yes, in the Control
    > Panel too.
    >
    > however it insists , each time that I IPL, check the security status by
    > inflating its balloon and insisting that I click on it to have the
    > Security Center open to tell me that:: yes the firewall was turned on
    > and, yes, Live updates was activated and NO, it did not know any thing
    > about the status of my Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
    >
    > I deal with the antivirus as a part of my regular PC maintenance as well
    > as checking disks, registry etc. and defragging. Usually once a week.
    >
    > The Windows Security Center is a "do-nothing" nuisance that requires my
    > action with every IPL. It is just a another thing which requires my
    > action for no purpose.
    >
    > Ad/Remove does not show it.
    >
    > Can I safely delete it in the Control Panel?
    >
    > To paraphrase T.S. Elliott; "Who will rid me of this nuisance
    > 'FEATURE'?"
    >
    > I don't need it , don't want it. How do I rid myself of this unknowingly
    > self-inflicted nuisance?

    Malcolm

    Sorry to disappoint you, but Windows Security Centre is an intrisic part of
    Service Pack 2.
    Whether you installed SP2 from CD or got it over the Internet (Automatic
    updates), SP2 = Windows Security Centre.
    Security Centre was one of Microsofts responses to the massive critisism it
    received over the holes in XP.
    It's job is to prod you, the 'go away I'm busy, I'll do it later' user, that
    in fact you shouldn't leave it till later, you should do it 'NOW'

    Playing devils advocate I would ask when you did your last data backup and
    "test restore"
    I'll bet there is a good chance you've left it to 'Later' because it's to
    hard/time consuming/mysterious.
    I've found irritation with Security Centre frequently goes hand in hand with
    poor or no backups.
    Am I right?

    As for the status of Symantec AV, Symantec say to keep doing Symantec Live
    Updates and it should eventually correct itself.

    Hope this is helpfull

    Paul.

    PC, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Malcolm William Mason