Windows search.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ian field, Sep 2, 2010.

  1. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Using Win XP SP3.

    I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all the
    files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the ones I
    don't want.

    When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a new
    folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot read from
    disk and it terminates without moving any files.

    I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the selection
    so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some files in the
    list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files inside archives and
    arranged to exclude these too.

    Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
    that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?

    Thanks.

    ian field, Sep 2, 2010

  2. ian field

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > Using Win XP SP3.
    >
    > I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all the
    > files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the ones I
    > don't want.
    >
    > When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    > expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a new
    > folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot read from
    > disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >
    > I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the selection
    > so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some files in the
    > list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files inside archives and
    > arranged to exclude these too.
    >
    > Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
    > that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
    >
    > Thanks.

    why are you using *.*?
    that means search for any file with any extension. Ergo, the results
    listing every file in every folder.
    try narrowing your search to a specific type of file such as *.txt, which
    will then list only "txt" files.

    The search only lists what it finds. If you need to move that file, you'll
    need to move into windows explorer and locate the file that way.

    richard, Sep 2, 2010

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> Using Win XP SP3.
    >>
    >> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all the
    >> files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the ones
    >> don't want.
    >>
    >> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    >> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a
    >> new
    >> folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot read
    >> from
    >> disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >>
    >> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
    >> selection
    >> so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some files in
    >> the
    >> list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files inside archives
    >> and
    >> arranged to exclude these too.
    >>
    >> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
    >> that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > why are you using *.*?

    Read much?

    Hint - try starting with my first paragraph.

    ian field, Sep 2, 2010
  4. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > Using Win XP SP3.
    >
    > I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
    > the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the
    > ones I don't want.
    >
    > When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    > expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a
    > new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
    > read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >
    > I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
    > selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some
    > files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files
    > inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
    >
    > Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
    > that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
    defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
    cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
    intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
    misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

    Meat Plow, Sep 2, 2010
  5. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> Using Win XP SP3.
    >>
    >> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
    >> the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the
    >> ones I don't want.
    >>
    >> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    >> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a
    >> new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
    >> read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >>
    >> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
    >> selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some
    >> files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files
    >> inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
    >>
    >> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
    >> that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
    > defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
    > cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
    > intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
    > misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

    My other PC does the same thing - and I've recently (regularly) run
    Spinrite6 on every partition.

    ian field, Sep 2, 2010
  6. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:06:20 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using Win XP SP3.
    >>>
    >>> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
    >>> the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all
    >>> the ones I don't want.
    >>>
    >>> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    >>> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into
    >>> a new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
    >>> read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
    >>> selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that
    >>> some files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were
    >>> files inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file
    >>> manager that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with
    >>> move?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
    >> defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
    >> cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
    >> intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
    >> misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

    > My other PC does the same thing - and I've recently (regularly) run
    > Spinrite6 on every partition.

    Well hope you can find a solution, I can't recreate the problem. Unless
    you have some corruption in the directory names or they are longer than
    255 characters or some really weird names problem.

    Meat Plow, Sep 2, 2010
  7. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:06:20 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
    >>> defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
    >>> cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
    >>> intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
    >>> misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

    >> My other PC does the same thing - and I've recently (regularly) run
    >> Spinrite6 on every partition.

    > Well hope you can find a solution, I can't recreate the problem. Unless
    > you have some corruption in the directory names or they are longer than
    > 255 characters or some really weird names problem.

    Hmmm - I wonder if that's it.

    ian field, Sep 2, 2010
  8. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > Using Win XP SP3.
    >
    > I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
    > the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all
    > the ones I don't want.
    >
    > When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    > expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into
    > a new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
    > read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >
    > I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
    > selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that
    > some files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were
    > files inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
    >
    > Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file
    > manager that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with
    > move?
    >
    > Thanks.

    And what drive letter are you doing this on? And what is the drive
    letter for your hard drive(s).

    The possibility also exists you are doing it on My computer or some
    other place above the drives level - which includes *all* drives.
    Including the CD/DVD drives. Which are of course read-only with the
    rather strange exception of open session CDs.

    You could also have given us the path for one of the aforementioned
    files that it didn't work for.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 2, 2010
  9. ian field

    Tony Guest

    That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on a
    couple of floppy discs.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 2, 2010
  10. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on a
    > couple of floppy discs.
    >
    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Using Win XP SP3.
    >> >
    >> > I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
    >> > the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all
    >> > the ones I don't want.
    >> >
    >> > When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
    >> > expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into
    >> > a new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
    >> > read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
    >> >
    >> > I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
    >> > selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that
    >> > some files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were
    >> > files inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
    >> >
    >> > Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file
    >> > manager that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with
    >> > move?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >

    >> And what drive letter are you doing this on? And what is the drive
    >> letter for your hard drive(s).
    >>
    >> The possibility also exists you are doing it on My computer or some
    >> other place above the drives level

    No it doesn't because I said I was trying to round up all the files in a
    folder tree.

    However you did give me the idea of checking the properties for that tree -
    under attributes the read only box is checked, I tried unchecking it and
    clicling apply - it displays a progress bar and appears to carry out the
    operation, but when I close and re-open properties the read only check mark
    has returned.

    This may be the cause of the problem - but I'm still at a dead end as to how
    to fix it.

    ian field, Sep 2, 2010
  11. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:17:22 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on a
    >> couple of floppy discs.
    >>
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ian field" <> wrote in

    >>> And what drive letter are you doing this on? And what is the drive
    >>> letter for your hard drive(s).
    >>>
    >>> The possibility also exists you are doing it on My computer or some
    >>> other place above the drives level

    > No it doesn't because I said I was trying to round up all the files in a
    > folder tree.
    >
    > However you did give me the idea of checking the properties for that
    > tree - under attributes the read only box is checked, I tried unchecking
    > it and clicling apply - it displays a progress bar and appears to carry
    > out the operation, but when I close and re-open properties the read only
    > check mark has returned.
    >
    > This may be the cause of the problem - but I'm still at a dead end as to
    > how to fix it.

    Read only is not going to prevent you from copying.

    Meat Plow, Sep 2, 2010
  12. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:17:22 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>> That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on a
    >>> couple of floppy discs.

    >> No it doesn't because I said I was trying to round up all the files in a
    >> folder tree.
    >>
    >> However you did give me the idea of checking the properties for that
    >> tree - under attributes the read only box is checked, I tried unchecking
    >> it and clicling apply - it displays a progress bar and appears to carry
    >> out the operation, but when I close and re-open properties the read only
    >> check mark has returned.
    >>
    >> This may be the cause of the problem - but I'm still at a dead end as to
    >> how to fix it.

    > Read only is not going to prevent you from copying.

    Funny thing is tho', when it wouldn't let me cut/paste I thought "fine -
    I'll copy instead then delete the source folder tree", but it gave the same
    error as trying to move.

    I've just tried again and it lets me cut/paste, even though removing the
    read only attribute and clicking apply doesn't stay put - if I close and
    re-open properties on the folder, the read only check box is back again.

    All I need now is a move file utility that only overwrites an existing file
    if the size is identical as well as the filename.

    ian field, Sep 2, 2010
  13. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:43:38 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:17:22 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >>> No it doesn't because I said I was trying to round up all the files in
    >>> a folder tree.
    >>>
    >>> However you did give me the idea of checking the properties for that
    >>> tree - under attributes the read only box is checked, I tried
    >>> unchecking it and clicling apply - it displays a progress bar and
    >>> appears to carry out the operation, but when I close and re-open
    >>> properties the read only check mark has returned.
    >>>
    >>> This may be the cause of the problem - but I'm still at a dead end as
    >>> to how to fix it.

    >> Read only is not going to prevent you from copying.

    > Funny thing is tho', when it wouldn't let me cut/paste I thought "fine -
    > I'll copy instead then delete the source folder tree", but it gave the
    > same error as trying to move.

    Odd, maybe you don't have completely recursive permissions down the tree.
    You might want to delve into the advanced part of permissions and make
    sure full control is ticked for your user. Or add it to your user. Not
    looking at an XP box right now I can't explain in detail but over the
    years NT permissions can be a little confusing.

    > I've just tried again and it lets me cut/paste, even though removing the
    > read only attribute and clicking apply doesn't stay put - if I close and
    > re-open properties on the folder, the read only check box is back again.

    I've run into that many times and ignored it as long as what I wanted
    done got done. You should do the same. I'm sure there is an explanation
    but i was too lazy to find it :)

    > All I need now is a move file utility that only overwrites an existing
    > file if the size is identical as well as the filename.

    You are working with photos no doubt and want to weed the dupes. If so
    google on Dupe remover. I think i ran into the same problem with one of
    the Windows photo products. I ended up hand deleting dupes. Took me days
    to do it since I had tens of thousands of photos.

    Meat Plow, Sep 2, 2010
  14. ian field

    John Holmes Guest

    ian field "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on
    >> a couple of floppy discs.
    >>
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ian field" <> wrote in

    >>> And what drive letter are you doing this on? And what is the drive
    >>> letter for your hard drive(s).
    >>>
    >>> The possibility also exists you are doing it on My computer or some
    >>> other place above the drives level

    > No it doesn't because I said I was trying to round up all the files in
    > a folder tree.
    >
    > However you did give me the idea of checking the properties for that
    > tree - under attributes the read only box is checked, I tried
    > unchecking it and clicling apply - it displays a progress bar and
    > appears to carry out the operation, but when I close and re-open
    > properties the read only check mark has returned.
    >
    > This may be the cause of the problem - but I'm still at a dead end as
    > to how to fix it.

    No, that's not the problem. Read this about read-only files / folders:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

    I second Meat Plow's diagnose. You probably have file names longer then
    255 characters. Here's an explanation you might understand:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/199291-36-windows-2003-full-path-
    file-limit-characters

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 3, 2010
  15. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:43:38 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Read only is not going to prevent you from copying.

    >> Funny thing is tho', when it wouldn't let me cut/paste I thought "fine -
    >> I'll copy instead then delete the source folder tree", but it gave the
    >> same error as trying to move.

    > Odd, maybe you don't have completely recursive permissions down the tree.
    > You might want to delve into the advanced part of permissions and make
    > sure full control is ticked for your user. Or add it to your user. Not
    > looking at an XP box right now I can't explain in detail but over the
    > years NT permissions can be a little confusing.
    >
    >> I've just tried again and it lets me cut/paste, even though removing the
    >> read only attribute and clicking apply doesn't stay put - if I close and
    >> re-open properties on the folder, the read only check box is back again.

    > I've run into that many times and ignored it as long as what I wanted
    > done got done. You should do the same. I'm sure there is an explanation
    > but i was too lazy to find it :)

    I have a theory - no doubt if its wrong someone'll point it out.

    Windows explorer handles ZIPs as if they were folders, so ZIP files appear
    in the folder pane and the files within are listed in the files pane if you
    highlight the ZIP/folder ocon.

    If any of the files in the ZIPs are read only this information is loaded
    into memory along with the file name and a bulk reset of an attribute only
    changes the memory image of the file details not the file in the ZIP.

    So next time properties are opened they indicate that some files are read
    only.

    >> All I need now is a move file utility that only overwrites an existing
    >> file if the size is identical as well as the filename.

    > You are working with photos no doubt and want to weed the dupes. If so
    > google on Dupe remover. I think i ran into the same problem with one of
    > the Windows photo products. I ended up hand deleting dupes. Took me days
    > to do it since I had tens of thousands of photos.

    Does that work with PDFs?

    ian field, Sep 3, 2010
  16. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:13:42 +0100, ian field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:43:38 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Funny thing is tho', when it wouldn't let me cut/paste I thought "fine
    >>> - I'll copy instead then delete the source folder tree", but it gave
    >>> the same error as trying to move.

    >> Odd, maybe you don't have completely recursive permissions down the
    >> tree. You might want to delve into the advanced part of permissions and
    >> make sure full control is ticked for your user. Or add it to your user.
    >> Not looking at an XP box right now I can't explain in detail but over
    >> the years NT permissions can be a little confusing.
    >>
    >>> I've just tried again and it lets me cut/paste, even though removing
    >>> the read only attribute and clicking apply doesn't stay put - if I
    >>> close and re-open properties on the folder, the read only check box is
    >>> back again.

    >> I've run into that many times and ignored it as long as what I wanted
    >> done got done. You should do the same. I'm sure there is an explanation
    >> but i was too lazy to find it :)

    > I have a theory - no doubt if its wrong someone'll point it out.
    >
    > Windows explorer handles ZIPs as if they were folders, so ZIP files
    > appear in the folder pane and the files within are listed in the files
    > pane if you highlight the ZIP/folder ocon.
    >
    > If any of the files in the ZIPs are read only this information is loaded
    > into memory along with the file name and a bulk reset of an attribute
    > only changes the memory image of the file details not the file in the
    > ZIP.
    >
    > So next time properties are opened they indicate that some files are
    > read only.

    If the attributes are not changed within the zip that's a possibility.
    It's kind of hard to diagnose when you don't state exactly what was in
    the folder tree in the first place.

    >>> All I need now is a move file utility that only overwrites an existing
    >>> file if the size is identical as well as the filename.

    >> You are working with photos no doubt and want to weed the dupes. If so
    >> google on Dupe remover. I think i ran into the same problem with one of
    >> the Windows photo products. I ended up hand deleting dupes. Took me
    >> days to do it since I had tens of thousands of photos.

    > Does that work with PDFs?

    If I recall its a duplicate file finder so it should work with anything.

    Meat Plow, Sep 3, 2010
  17. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:13:42 +0100, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Odd, maybe you don't have completely recursive permissions down the
    >>> tree. You might want to delve into the advanced part of permissions and
    >>> make sure full control is ticked for your user. Or add it to your user.
    >>> Not looking at an XP box right now I can't explain in detail but over
    >>> the years NT permissions can be a little confusing.

    >>> I've run into that many times and ignored it as long as what I wanted
    >>> done got done. You should do the same. I'm sure there is an explanation
    >>> but i was too lazy to find it :)

    >> I have a theory - no doubt if its wrong someone'll point it out.
    >>
    >> Windows explorer handles ZIPs as if they were folders, so ZIP files
    >> appear in the folder pane and the files within are listed in the files
    >> pane if you highlight the ZIP/folder ocon.
    >>
    >> If any of the files in the ZIPs are read only this information is loaded
    >> into memory along with the file name and a bulk reset of an attribute
    >> only changes the memory image of the file details not the file in the
    >> ZIP.
    >>
    >> So next time properties are opened they indicate that some files are
    >> read only.

    > If the attributes are not changed within the zip that's a possibility.
    > It's kind of hard to diagnose when you don't state exactly what was in
    > the folder tree in the first place.

    Mostly PDFs but all sorts of other crap - which is why I want to channel all
    the files into one folder and sort by file type and see what to delete
    en-masse

    ian field, Sep 3, 2010